Author Topic: Samsung rant  (Read 1432 times)

Offline pz

Samsung rant
« Reply #-1 on: October 25, 2013, 01:20:53 AM »
I just went to the kitchen to pick up a Scotch for the evening, but then settled on a Kraken instead.  We've a couple of Scotch tasting glasses we like to use - small and curvaceous.  To the Samsung fridge I go, intending to dispense my usual cube.  However, the Samsung ice maker (know to be of inferior design), which usually dispenses 3-4 cubes per push of the handle this time dispensed at least 25, most of which ended up on the floor.

I dread going for ice because at least 50% of the time I end up with ice on the floor - definitely the worst ice maker I have ever used in my life.  I'll never purchase a Samsung again, and would definitely steer my friends away from the fridge, hence this post.  Interestingly, I have other Samsung appliances that are not so shabby, but the ice maker is definitely a deal breaker for me.

[/rant]

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Samsung rant
« on: October 25, 2013, 04:01:28 AM »
I have a Samsung fridge too.  Makes me glad I went with no door water/ice.  I thought you were going to rant about the rumor that Samsung is going to force manufacturers to have a verification chip in their phone accessories (chargers) to make sure they are approved ones (to ensure quality of course... cough, cough).  I guess Apple just changed names.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Rummm

• If you're lookin you ain't cookin!
    • Ask-A-Butcher
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 04:16:23 AM »
I have a Frigidaire w/ice maker and on occasion it does the same thing. Cat loves it  ;)
"Culture is what your butcher would have if he were a surgeon.''

http://www.ask-a-butcher.com

Offline RAD

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 06:42:24 AM »
I have:
Samsung TV - Love it
Samsung Oven - Love it
Samsung Microwave - Love it
Samsung Dishwasher - Love it
Samsung Cellphone(s) - Love it
Samsung fridge - Hate it, Hate it, Hate it. I had to have the first fridge replaced because the ice maker broke and spit water allover the kitchen and fridge. They sent the repair man three times to fix it and they never could fix it, so they gave me a new one (that I say is good CS but that isn't my issue). Less than a year in with the new fridge the ice maker stopped making crushed ice. Samsung backed their product and had it fixed. But what is the issue with their ice makers?
Love to cook and eat

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 08:07:11 AM »
Sorry to hear about this.

Like Rad I have a TV, Cell Phone and a few other things made by Samsung and really thought this is how a company should operate.  Never had any issues with any of my products

But I will stay away from their ice-makers!  Thanks
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 09:17:05 AM »
PZ You hit a sore spot with me!  ??? I will try to make this short. I purchased a Whirlpool fridge w/ice maker in the door, the ice bin and dispenser are in the door, gives more room in fridge. Supposed to get crushed ice or cubes, it kept freezing up. Many service calls and they finally installed a whole new door. Whirlpool constantly lied about anyone else having problems. I still have problems found it's best to not even use the crushed ice. I am now stuck with an out of warranty fridge that leaks around the dispenser stainless door has stains that I can't get off from the leaking. Now I have to look at the piece of crap every day. Service men said all makers had problems especially with ones that have the ice bin and dispenser in the door. I could go on but won't. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 09:35:24 AM »
I like many others here have been convinced by the Samsung marketing department that those products are good. This along with ratings and reviews which give Samsung very high marks in a variety of categories. I have the washer and dryer, 2 smart TV's, and a tablet. I am glad that they have and are continuing to perform as expected. I have a Whirlpool fridge and it is doing it's job. However, they had to replace the entire fridge because it had a broken wire and could not be repaired. At least they sent a new one right away from the factory.

I am not sure that we have appliances today that can stand the test of time. Unfortunately, if a repair is required, it seems that the repair is catastrophic and for the cost of that repair, one may as well purchase a new product.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 09:47:08 AM »
Now I just went through a huge ordeal with LG on my fridge. Took me over a month of arguing to get my fridge replaced by the manufacturer. I refused to take another LG P.O.S and made them pay for a Whirlpool. The LG fridge was really nice. LED lighting and doors that practically shut themselves. Very quiet when on. All this is great but does me no good when the food in the fridge does not get cold.

After going through this I thought about all the great LG televisions I own. I actually have two and they have been great. No problems and beautiful picture. Same with Samsung. I had a Samsung TV that was over ten years old and no problems. Love my Samsung phone too.

So if Maytag, Whirlpool, or Amana started making refrigerators would I trust them? Probably not.

I have heard absolute horror stories about Samsung fridges. A guy at work bought one and it crapped out after 13 months. The manufacturer would not cover the cost due to being out of warranty. The repair ended up costing him about half the cost of the fridge. Then over a year later the same problem again.

I have come to the conclusion that pretty much all refrigerators made today are junk unless you get a high end one like Sub-Zero. The parts are way too expensive and the fridges are sealed from the factory under a vacuum and cannot be disassemble. So in most cases they just junk the fridge or deem the repair too expensive to do.

But my advice is to stay away from LG and Samsung for sure!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TwoPockets

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 12:00:02 PM »
I also have an LG fridge, biggest POS I have ever owned.
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 01:43:04 PM »
My wife's grandma just had her 99th birthday, and she still has the same dishwasher that she purchased when she married many decades ago (the kind that is free standing and attaches to the kitchen faucet with a hose).  In contrast, 5 years ago I purchased a top of the line 3-rack Maytag ultra silent dishwasher, that went belly-up after about 4 years.  To replace it, I purchased the cheapest dishwasher I could - why you ask?  Because I'm firmly convinced that manufacturers plan obsolescence into their product.  Why sell a product only once to grandma, when you can sell one to her every 5 years.

The end result is that I no longer purchase the best I can afford because I'll need to replace it well before I feel I get my money's worth, and will likely stroke out due to the aggravation.

Offline rexster314

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 04:38:42 PM »
We bought a 31cf Electrolux last October and have been extremely pleased with it. Two ice makers, one topside and one in the freezer. We never run out of ice now. Had to have the first one replaced within a week, but Electrolux made it good, shipping another one to our dealer within 48 hours. Have not had one problem with this one. Ice, water and crushed ice in the door.
Masterbuilt 560 Gravity Feed
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
KitchenAid 720-0856V 8 burner 88,000btu gasser
Masterbuilt 40" Sportsman Elite gasser
2 MES 40" smokers
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Cham

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 05:30:27 PM »
 Kerry traded my old school re-fridge for her moms fancy dancy new side by side Whirlpool  because she said it was to big. (Her family trades things a lot) Seemed like a good Idea at the time. 
 Within months the door gadgets started acting up. Got that fixed. They went out again, got it fixed, this time I was home when the guy came. He told me that almost all of
his refrigerator calls were on side by side models. Any Brand and almost always to do with some part of the doors.
 It started leaking around the seal next so I gave it to somebody and bought me a nice "Old School model" with Freezer on top again. Ice in freezer. That was 5 years ago now and not another problem.
 I have a second "Old School" unit outside Kerry's son gave me for beer and such. I installed an ice maker in it and it is clicking right along. I put a huge plastic bin in it so I have lots of ice at all times.
 I do wish I had kept the side by side. I could have made a killer smoker out of it. 
 As for Samsung, I agree they have a pretty good record over all.  We use several of their professional CCTV products here at work. Very few problems at all.
As for APPLE, While I don't like the control they maintain on their products I must say they work better than any other we use. And I think it's because they do keep control ..  We have over 20 I-phones and 15 or so androids. The androids are on their way out do to random, off the wall issues.  And problems have been almost non existent on the I-Phones and pads. 
 Many may not agree but 35-40 phones maintained over the last 10 years seem to speak for themselves...   

Sorry, Kind of got off on a roll there....
Terry "Way down in Alabama"

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »
We ain't got the problems you fancy people have with Sam Sun.  Our iceman is a Korean named Sam Sun and he delivers us ice in his mule and wagon and we put it in our oak ice box with the four doors and we ain't got no problem with the ice...unless we chomp off too big a hunk with the ice pick. I guess if we had 'lectricity like you city boys we may buy us one of them fancy frigeraters and have the same problems y'all do.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 07:31:42 PM »
My wife loves her Samsung washer and dryer set and no problems with my Samsung galaxy 10.1. I think Samsung is a really good company and makes some very good products. Maybe ice makin just wasn't their cup of tea ;)

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 10:56:31 PM »
My wife loves her Samsung washer and dryer set and no problems with my Samsung galaxy 10.1. I think Samsung is a really good company and makes some very good products. Maybe ice makin just wasn't their cup of tea ;)

I agree - we also have the front loader washer and dryer, and I personally love my Galaxy 10.1 and Galaxy Note phone.  It is only the fridge that is a pos.  :P