Author Topic: Growing fresh tomatoes and herbs the hydroponic way  (Read 1855 times)

Offline pz

Growing fresh tomatoes and herbs the hydroponic way
« Reply #-1 on: October 27, 2013, 12:55:04 AM »
For the past 6 or 7 years we've been growing herbs (mainly 7 different kinds of basil) and tomatoes indoors during winter using an Aerogarden

Our babies have just hatched, and we'll have tomatoes some time this winter, and fresh basil for our pizzas by Christmas

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Re: Growing fresh tomatoes and herbs the hydroponic way
« on: October 27, 2013, 01:36:47 AM »
I've used an AeroGarden without much success...

Now I have LED grow lamps.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 08:24:08 AM »
Can't wait to see the results.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pz

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 11:35:51 PM »
It's been 10 days since the last photo, so here are a few update photos.  Everything has germinated now.  When I posted the first pic in this thread, only they (tomatoes) had germinated enough to be seen.  We're planted 4 Aerogardens, which will keep us in fresh ingredients for much of the bad weather ahead.

All different basil species - we use these for fresh basil on our pizzas all winter.  The good thing is that it grows like a weed, and we carefully harvest so it keeps on growing

Cilantro, chives, parsley, dill, and a couple different basils

These are red heirloom tomatoes

Here are the same tomatoes seen in the first post of this thread - now 10 days older.

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 07:10:47 AM »
Pz, I envy those who can have vine-ripened tomatoes in midwinter.  One of my favorite sandwiches is fresh from the garden sliced cucumber and tomato on mayo slathered bread with a little S&P.  It is so simple and so dripping good.  Can't wait to see the progress.

I have a neighbor that grows plants indoors too.  He doesn't cook with them though; I think he makes rope or something with them.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 12:32:01 PM »
Pz, I envy those who can have vine-ripened tomatoes in midwinter.  One of my favorite sandwiches is fresh from the garden sliced cucumber and tomato on mayo slathered bread with a little S&P.  It is so simple and so dripping good.  Can't wait to see the progress.

I have a neighbor that grows plants indoors too.  He doesn't cook with them though; I think he makes rope or something with them.

;D ;D 8)
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 08:46:52 PM »
Here's the four-week mark for out babies

... and my sweetie just received her new Aerogarden Ultra in the mail today

This unit uses LED instead of the typical grow lights, and has a digital control unit.  The company claims that there are 10o improvements over prior units.  We'll soon see if it pans out as the company claims

These are the LED grow lights

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 09:30:34 PM »
So you have 4 units?

What is the hydro consumption?
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline pz

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 09:50:07 PM »
5 units now with the addition of the new one.  We use a Brita water filter container and fill once every two weeks or so, but as the plants grow and become bushy, the consumption increases proportionally.  Large tomato plants can consume a pitcher of water every few days or so.

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 11:45:34 PM »
We just finished setting up the new LED unit, and I must say that I'm impressed with the improvements they made to their product.  The pump is now quiet again, like it was a couple of models ago, and the LED lights seem to put out as much if not more than the old fluorescents.

The pods are in place, and the LCD screen prompts you through all the steps necessary to get the garden going

The LEDs are interesting - different colors - I had not expected that, but it makes perfect sense if you take wavelength into account

All ready to go!

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2013, 08:48:34 AM »
I am in Ohio and have fresh herbs all winter..well some of them, I have sage, parsley, and thyme all winter..go figure for the parsley. I just knock the snow off them and use them. I really like your aero garden tho. Have to check into it. Nice pics. I have a huge East window in my living room. Not sure I need it, but maybe it helps.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, 11:07:44 AM »
Wow very nice. I priced those things out a few years ago and it was crazy what they wanted, way over 250 bucks. Thought about it but sadly I said no. Tomatoes are not worth that much to me  :)

Offline pz

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2013, 12:18:39 PM »
The LED units are still pricey because they are new technology, however the classic 7 spot units are down to $139.

I set the unit to come on at 5am which is when I go down to make coffee.  It was cool - when I went into the kitchen the unit was on and I didn't even need to turn on the kitchen lights.  The light is pleasing to my eye - maybe because it is a grow light; don't really know.  We've a classic in our bedroom that also comes on at 5am - it's my "alarm clock" that wakes me with the light, and without the obnoxious noise of a standard clock  ;D

You wouldn't need the window for light, Pam, but it sure wouldn't hurt it any!