Author Topic: Splash-Proof Super-Fast ® Thermapen  (Read 1886 times)

Offline pz

Re: Splash-Proof Super-Fast ® Thermapen
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2013, 05:15:09 PM »
Marketing can make a company hit the big time, but bad press can be significantly detrimental to a company's bottom line.  For instance, I was very interested in the Maverick ET732, and not interested at all in the Thermapen.  So, I started researching the ET-732 and found a review on amazingribs.com and started reading.  In the article on temperature measuring devices, both Maverick and Thermoworks units were detailed - however, there was a caveat by the author that there are many negative comments on Amazon - off I go to read them.  While there are many 5-star reviews, there are nearly 1/3 that number of 1-star reviews, which scared me off the brand.  Naturally I started digging into the Thermoworks brand to find problems, but did not discover much negativity, so my decision was to go with that brand.

I'm almost brand new to precise temperature measurement (have always gone with the cheap digital Fred Meyer types) so I had never heard of Thermapen or Maverick before investigating BBQ more deeply.  It is a shame that negative reviews often shape the purchasing direction of prospective customers.

Offline Wingman

• Central Maine
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 05:36:30 PM »
I purchase quite a few items online and I use Amazon reviews as guidelines a lot.  I add the top 2 ratings and the bottom 2 ratings and throw out the middle.  So, if I wanted an instant read thermometer I would go to Amazon and look at the choices.  Using my method, I find that of 591 reviewers of the Splash Proof Thermapen 9 found it unacceptable; that’s a 98.4 percent approval rating.  When anything in this life has a 98.4% approval rating out of 591 reviews, that is the item I want.  That is a staggering statistic.

If and when Maverick has numbers like those I would certainly consider it, even if it is made in China.  Unfortunately for our country the Thermapen is made offshore too.
"You will thank us for smoking."

Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Spirit E310
Weber Performer Premium
MAK 1 Star #184
Bradley OBS #968,312

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2013, 06:39:18 PM »
Wow!  Haven't seen tee so fired up since he heard a (thankfully false) rumor that bacon wasn't Kosher.
I laughed so hard I pulled a muscle ::)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2013, 07:51:21 PM »
And...THIS is exactly to my point about marketing:

If and when Maverick has numbers like those I would certainly consider it, even if it is made in China.  Unfortunately for our country the Thermapen is made offshore too.

Therein - lies the rub....More than one company produce a good product in this category. But because the FIRST company - captured a large percentage of the market,  you may not EVER see those kinds of numbers for the 2nd, and 3rd ( and so on..) place products in the marketplace.
The number of any product sold is not an indicator of how good or bad any product is. It may represent part of that equation, but not by necessity.

Yet, we all feel safe with "numbers". But you must understand HOW the numbers are generated, and HOW the votes are counted, as positive, negative and neutral. There *IS* subjectivity in polling data even if the the questions and the interpretation of them are absolutes. When we put too much faith in others "5 star rating" - what we cannot know is that the emotional value of the product is to them. It may be just a "feel good" purchasing decision because "so-and so" uses one on TV.....

What I have been pointing to is that we all weigh OTHER products on their own merit in a far more individual manner than I believe we have done in this case.

I have owned both. I only currently own a Maverick product. Why? Features. That is all. Features that are practical to the operation of the device and for the uses I will need it for. Speed that is humanely imperceptibly no different. Is it 100 of a second slower?  1/10th? Who cares? Can I get batteries for it ANYWHERE ( and everyone always has AAA batteries around) DId I like cramping my neck holding a flashlight to read the Thermapen? nope...But - I don't do that now because the "Chines made" product does more than what the Thermapen did for me. ( BTW - the Thermapen is "assembled in England - from Chinese parts! :D )

And - lastly, the Maverick Pro Temp is good enough for Sparky, and I know he would not steer me wrong! ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »
Wow!  Haven't seen tee so fired up since he heard a (thankfully false) rumor that bacon wasn't Kosher.
I laughed so hard I pulled a muscle ::)

Please keep your hand off that muscle when seeing my name...It makes me nervous as a sheep in dark barn full of guys named Mohammed .... ??? ;D
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2013, 09:11:38 PM »
Does anyone know what the actual market share for Thermapen is?

Could be that Maverick outsells Thermoworks 3 to 1.

The Thermapen is a great product. I believe that most of their success is from word of mouth. I know that people sharing their opinion about it swayed my purchase choice.

There are Maverick products available at big box stores. I am unaware of any big box stores that carry any Thermoworks products.

I don't think that they have cornered the market share. I think that people who own Thermapens are just very happy with the product and not afraid to say it. When you hold it in your hand it just feels solid. The swing out probe does not feel loose or it is gonna break in three months. And very accurate and a quick reading. Long battery life from what I can tell. And the thing is seems to be water proof!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Pappymn

Splash-Proof Super-Fast ® Thermapen
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 09:18:51 PM »
Let's not forget about their great service. Replaced mine way after warranty
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 09:56:44 PM »

I don't think that they have cornered the market share. I think that people who own Thermapens are just very happy with the product and not afraid to say it. When you hold it in your hand it just feels solid. The swing out probe does not feel loose or it is gonna break in three months. And very accurate and a quick reading. Long battery life from what I can tell. And the thing is seems to be water proof!

What I am trying ot point out here is that BOTH companies offer this same kind of quality, service and support. And - across the board, if a company is overall successful in any market, they WILL be great to deal with - or they will not continue to be successful.

Nope...Not a chance...all you need to do is ask around, and walk around BBQ comps to see this is true. Agin, a great testament to being the first in the marketplace, and building on that with good marketing.

The summation of everything I have pointed to is this: We have SO many quality choices in outdoor cooking gear. We really do, and it's great. I just find is funny - o.k.....hysterical - that almost no one thinks about even trying ANYTHING other than a Thermapen - in that product category.
Two takeaways:
1. Thermoworks has marketed their product so well - that there is not a close second product in most minds. That is a matter of fact even tho the facts are that the Maverick product has more features, and is within reason as fast.
2.WE as consumers forget HOW to "look outside of the box" pretty easily. We are swayed by popularity and numbers. Allow me to challenge all of us to think differently about the mechanics of HOW we choose any product. You may find yourself re-thinking some decisions, and be surprised by the answers.
Here is one example: In most categories of products, almost never is the most popular one - the best. There are a lot of variable we can apply to justify an outcome that we want - but, ont he face of merit and fact alone...almost never is it that the most popular product in any category the "best".

I am NOT saying that the Thermapen is inferior. I am saying that the market can and often does have biases for or against a product - and those biases can be sheerly due to the momentum of the leading product. That's it.
Jus always recognize the choices we have for all products. Compare features and benefits. Use LTBBQ members - because you KNOW us, and can trust that we will not steer you wrong.  Post polls - but ask for "logical reasons" for the response. Ask our sponsors about product warranties, support, trials, etc. Post reviews.

Use THIS discussion to re-analyse how we look at stuff we use. It may not change you final decision - but it will make you really understand how you make  choices.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline hikerman

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2013, 10:07:10 PM »
I'm finding this dialogue very entertaining as I am in the market for a more accurate device than what I now use. I will/have looked at both, but the decision is not done......  I do not believe in paying for the name, just the quality.

Here is something I came across tho.
www.kamadoguru.com/topic/2791-thermapen-vs-maverick-pt-100/

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 10:18:50 PM »
As one of our brethren occasionally says, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline hikerman

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 10:22:31 PM »
As one of our brethren occasionally says, that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

Amen to that sir!  But you know, I might wanna try vanilla someday.

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 10:40:39 PM »

Amen to that sir!  But you know, I might wanna try vanilla someday.

NOW...we are getting somewhere! PLEASE tell us what you find, why you chose it - and compare features and benefits. We have a product review section...But I should probably create an outline within that section...Thoughts?
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401