Author Topic: Life is good as we head into winter  (Read 2227 times)

Offline pz

Life is good as we head into winter
« Reply #-1 on: November 08, 2013, 09:57:46 PM »
Despite cold, wet days of fall, there is fun to be had outdoors (even if not next to a cooker)

Champagne (actually sparkling wine) and an assortment of smoked cheeses (Gouda, farm house sharp cheddar), Stilton, and marinated mushrooms - the only thing missing was a loaf of fresh bread.

The view, the company (my missus) is priceless

Offline sparky

• northern california
Re: Life is good as we head into winter
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:02:49 PM »
Great view.  Love the cutting board.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Northshore

Life is good as we head into winter
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 10:19:00 PM »
Very nice
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:21:24 PM »
Never get tired of your view.
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 10:21:37 PM »
Great view and spending it with your sweetheart! Does not get much better than that ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 01:03:45 AM »
Cheese sounds great but I especially like the view and the hot tub! Do you use the hot tub through the winter and do you cook out during the winter? We had a Calif. Cooperage hot tub, made from red wood for 15 years but it was inside, we loved that thing. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline pz

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 01:51:20 AM »
We also had a redwood tub years ago, but the wood eventually rotted and we replaced it with the current unit.  Yes, we hot tub whenever it is cold enough to make it cozy in the tub.

Sometimes in the hot tub the snow is gently falling onto a perfectly white landscape - the snow deadens all sounds so that it is almost eerily silent except for the breeze through the trees - looking out at the distant forest, we almost feel like we are the last people on earth.

Other times, we have a wet snow falling and then drag our garden umbrella table next to the tub so we can hear the rain-like patter on the umbrella - I don't have the words to explain how cozy and warm it is in the tub - almost better than snuggling up in a blankie by a fireside in a cold home.

At all times we have adult beverages to sip, sometimes hot, (like hot buttered rum) sometimes Champagne, and always with good food.  This will be the first year we have the Bradley and the SRG in winter, and plan to use both while we are in the tub - I imagine hot pulled pork sandwiches (SRG), or delicately smoked salmon (Bradley) as treats while tubbing.

Makes me look forward to be blanketed in snow  :)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 06:39:16 AM »
Awesome view pz!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 10:34:16 AM »
We also had a redwood tub years ago, but the wood eventually rotted and we replaced it with the current unit.  Yes, we hot tub whenever it is cold enough to make it cozy in the tub.

Sometimes in the hot tub the snow is gently falling onto a perfectly white landscape - the snow deadens all sounds so that it is almost eerily silent except for the breeze through the trees - looking out at the distant forest, we almost feel like we are the last people on earth.

Other times, we have a wet snow falling and then drag our garden umbrella table next to the tub so we can hear the rain-like patter on the umbrella - I don't have the words to explain how cozy and warm it is in the tub - almost better than snuggling up in a blankie by a fireside in a cold home.

At all times we have adult beverages to sip, sometimes hot, (like hot buttered rum) sometimes Champagne, and always with good food.  This will be the first year we have the Bradley and the SRG in winter, and plan to use both while we are in the tub - I imagine hot pulled pork sandwiches (SRG), or delicately smoked salmon (Bradley) as treats while tubbing.

Makes me look forward to be blanketed in snow  :)
I know what you mean PZ, they sure have a way of relaxing you! Now though if I could ever get in one I would probably never get out!  ;D Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »
I hope that winters in Idaho are pleasant with the dry air. I remember spending a few winters in Connecticut and it was cold, damp, and slushy where it would slush during the day and freeze during the night making driving really a pain in the buttski.

Winters in New Mexico are very dry with occasional snow in the cities and lots in the mountains. It very common to have mountain passes close with snows up to 25 feet deep. We get a bit of snow at the ranch because we are next to the mountains, then it fizzles out on the Eastern side of the property. It's like when it hits the mountains it dumps and then when it hits the flat lands on the other side it begins to let up.

San Antonio, on the other hand, is very mild compared to New Mexico and Idaho. Sometimes, it is warm enough that we do not even need the heat.

If things go well by December 18th, then we will head to New Mexico for Christmas and experience a little Winter.

Ed

An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2013, 04:02:05 PM »
This is truly a beautiful way to live.  I love the view, and from a hot tub in the winter with snow,,,,,,really.  The cheeses and champagne  are true toppers.  Well done pz, you and your family will enjoy the Winter.
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline SoHappy

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2013, 04:59:45 PM »
Beautiful.  Just Beautiful.  By the way, I'm available for adoption. ;)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2013, 05:51:15 PM »
That could be a magazine picture, pz - absolutely beautiful! Probably the only thing better is the experience you share with someone so special. Happy winter, my friend.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 06:19:08 PM »
When are we having that gathering at your place?  ;D
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 06:33:27 PM »
Thanks for the kind comments!

It is a shame that we're spread all over the world - would be nice to get together to socialize  ;)