Author Topic: Tobin James - excellent wine out of Paso Robles  (Read 1265 times)

Offline pz

Tobin James - excellent wine out of Paso Robles
« Reply #-1 on: November 09, 2013, 06:57:04 PM »
We like to travel to just about any wine area we can, and fortunately the excellent Washington wineries are right next door.  I can't count the number of places we've visited, but we never purchase at the winery (unless it is not distributed).  Here's a funny story: we were visiting the Waterbrook tasting room in Walla Walla, and I asked the gal at the counter why their bottle price was more expensive than the same bottle at Albertson's (grocery store) - she replied "they can afford to sell it cheaper;D

This is our latest shipment

Offline SiFumar

Re: Tobin James - excellent wine out of Paso Robles
« on: November 09, 2013, 07:25:28 PM »
How you like the free gift?  ;D I like their wine a lot....I get 2 shipments from them, twice a year. My son worked out in Paso so we visited a lot.  Disappointed no "Fat Boy" this time....well hopefully in the Spring!  Enjoy!
Pit Barrel Cooker
Bradley Original
Bradley Counter Top
SRG
Char Broil Grill

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 07:53:14 PM »
My aunt would always stop at their winery on the way from Lake San Antonio. I am not a wine drinker but she really seemed to be fond of it. She would leave with a couple cases.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 09:47:05 PM »
We like to travel to just about any wine area we can, and fortunately the excellent Washington wineries are right next door.  I can't count the number of places we've visited, but we never purchase at the winery (unless it is not distributed).  Here's a funny story: we were visiting the Waterbrook tasting room in Walla Walla, and I asked the gal at the counter why their bottle price was more expensive than the same bottle at Albertson's (grocery store) - she replied "they can afford to sell it cheaper;D

This is our latest shipment

Great story!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline pz

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 12:36:47 AM »
How you like the free gift?  ;D I like their wine a lot....I get 2 shipments from them, twice a year. My son worked out in Paso so we visited a lot.  Disappointed no "Fat Boy" this time....well hopefully in the Spring!  Enjoy!

Wow, I never thought I'd find another Tobin James aficionado! Have you stayed in their B&B?  For those that have not visited, if you purchase a case of wine at the winery, you can stay in their B&B, which is fantastic.

We love the current gift!  Tobin James pillow this time that matches the Tobin James blankies we received on two prior shipments (we used the blankies for his and hers in the RV).  We're also disappointed that Fat Boy was not included this time, but we drank the 2010 James Gang Reserve Syrah the day we opened the box - was absolutely delicious, and about as good as Fat Boy.  One thing we noted however, is that it is best to drink the bottle the same day, because the next day it was not nearly as good.

I've devoted an entire rack in the cellar for TJ wines - which go back to 2003, including a few Fat Boys.

When visiting Paso, we always stop at the Albertson's because they carry most of the wines of the area, and their buyer has been quite knowledgeable.  We've never left that grocery store with less than 5 cases of wine - good thing we travel in an RV  ;D

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 05:57:11 AM »
Nice looking stash.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 01:12:56 PM »
Darn wife again.  Can't do bacon and doesn't like wine.  so I limit my consumption of both.  Would love to do a wine tour but don't because she wouldn't go. 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Old Hickory

• Creston, Ca. Member #52
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 02:10:19 PM »
Have you tried the Paso Robles J. Lohr wines?  Their reds are awesome.  ( I live 12 miles South of Paso Robles,,,,, yes it's truly " wine country " ).
Char-broil SRG
Bradley 4DS w/ dual elem mod, PID
Charmglow 5 burner pgg w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle w/rotisserie
Pit Barrel Cooker
Cuisinart TOF-60

Offline pz

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 03:25:03 PM »
Have you tried the Paso Robles J. Lohr wines?  Their reds are awesome.  ( I live 12 miles South of Paso Robles,,,,, yes it's truly " wine country " ).

Yes, indeed, and in fact, we used J. Lohr cab as our wine of choice for our wedding - long enough ago so that it was only $9 per bottle

Offline SiFumar

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 02:27:17 AM »
Darn wife again.  Can't do bacon and doesn't like wine.  so I limit my consumption of both.  Would love to do a wine tour but don't because she wouldn't go.

My husband doesn't like wine...but he enjoys going with me.  A lot of the winery's sell cheese, crackers, sandwiches, etc. and have nice picnic areas where you can just sit and enjoy the views.  Or even bring your own snacks.  My husband even brings a beer or two to enjoy.  If she doesn't drink she can tell them them she's the DD and they'll give her a free bottle of water or soda for free!  There is a lovely winery call Sculpterra that has a beautiful sculpture garden.  I hope she'll change her mind!

Wow, I never thought I'd find another Tobin James aficionado! Have you stayed in their B&B?  For those that have not visited, if you purchase a case of wine at the winery, you can stay in their B&B, which is fantastic.

We love the current gift!  Tobin James pillow this time that matches the Tobin James blankies we received on two prior shipments (we used the blankies for his and hers in the RV).  We're also disappointed that Fat Boy was not included this time, but we drank the 2010 James Gang Reserve Syrah the day we opened the box - was absolutely delicious, and about as good as Fat Boy.  One thing we noted however, is that it is best to drink the bottle the same day, because the next day it was not nearly as good.

I've devoted an entire rack in the cellar for TJ wines - which go back to 2003, including a few Fat Boys.

When visiting Paso, we always stop at the Albertson's because they carry most of the wines of the area, and their buyer has been quite knowledgeable.  We've never left that grocery store with less than 5 cases of wine - good thing we travel in an RV  ;D

We usually stayed with our son while out there...so didn't have a chance to try their  B&B. We bought a lot at Albertsons too!  Lucky you to have a wine cellar!  I just have a wine refrigerator.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Bradley Original
Bradley Counter Top
SRG
Char Broil Grill