Author Topic: Lunch with T2  (Read 1200 times)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Lunch with T2
« Reply #-1 on: November 09, 2013, 11:45:42 PM »
I had the great opportunity to meet T2 today for lunch in Stillwater, MN. I also met his lovely wife, daughter, son in law and grand daughter (she is a total doll!)

Stillwater is a great little town on the edge of the St Croix River along the border between Minnesota and Wisconsin. One of the oldest (if not THE oldest) towns in Minnesota, Stillwater has a plethora of antique shops, and other specialty stores as well as a great variety of great restaurants. In the spring through fall, street fairs, art shows and other events draw thousands of tourists.

We met at a great kitchen store that boasts cooking classes in a kitchen that makes mine blush. The store offers almost every cooking tool / appliance / spice / oil / etc. that you could imagine. From there we went to lunch at Smalley's Caribbean Barbeque. Here's the menu - http://smalleyscaribbeanbbq.com/menu/

We tried the BBQ Shrimp, Curried Goat, Salt & Lime Jalapeno Peppers, Ginger Jicama Slaw, Pulled Pork Sandwich, Jerk Pork Tacos, Ribs, Brisket (was like pulled beef), pulled pork, Creamy Cole Slaw with Celery Seed and Horseradish (excellent!), Fire Roasted Pork and Caribbean Pintos (another hit.) Actually, everything was very good. Frankly, surprisingly good. They offered sauces on the side. If there was any disappointment (in my mind) it was the sauce. They had three "BBQ" sauces built around the same base from mild to "hot". None were hot and none were very sweet. They also had a scotch bonnet based sauce that was supposed to be "killer." While it wasn't killer, in fact not even really hot, it was very fruity and delicious. It was my favorite.

The curried goat could be an entre - it was superb. The BBQ was cooked over pimento wood and had a nice smoke flavor without being too strong. All the meat was moist and the sausage was very interesting. It is from a local source - I will be looking to pick some up again. This place is definitely on my list to visit again and to bring my wife to. The funny part is - I found it doing a search for the best hamburger in Stillwater!

I had a wonderful time talking with Tim, his wife and their family. We shared stories (some probably even true...  ;) ;D) I'd love to share some pictures, but I was using the camera that Dee sent me...  ??? :o 8) Hopefully, Tim will post some pics (he was clicking pretty well... )

I had a great time today - Thank you, Tim. And thank you to all of the rest of your family! I felt like I'd known all of you for a long time - it was a wonderful afternoon.

You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Lunch with T2
« on: November 09, 2013, 11:49:50 PM »
Glad you guys met and hope Tee and family have a safe trip back

Maybe someday all of us will meet at some point
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 01:02:34 AM »
Great story, David!  I really enjoy reading the experiences of others in their culinary adventures, especially when they are with other forum members.  ;)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 01:04:34 AM »
Sounds like a good time Doc.

Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 05:55:02 AM »
Sounds like a great time.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 07:19:40 AM »
That does sound like you guys really enjoyed your visit!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 08:08:02 AM »
Really good story, David. If I counted right, there were ELEVEN menu items y'all tried!  I don't recall seeing any desserts on the list.  That's the way I eat when I go out. I don't want to have to leave room for dessert - bring on the good stuff.  Of course, as small as I am, I don't have that much room to start with -  8)

Isn't it funny how many folks end up having so much fun when T comes for a visit?

B T W, maybe this weekend will help you decide to attend the Gathering next fall.  Instead of trying just eleven things, you'll be tasting food all weekend long whilst spending time with some of the best folks on the earth.

Just sayin'...
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 08:21:52 AM »
Doc,
Now you have met the one person who can keep Tim in line (most of the time), his wife Kaye.  She should be put in for "sainthood".

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline hikerman

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 10:13:41 AM »
Sounds like a great time David!  I think Tommy said it best,"Maybe someday all of us will meet!"
Say, did T2 hit you up for your monthly dues?  :o
« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 04:18:42 PM by hikerman »

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2013, 10:31:04 AM »
Isn't it funny how many folks end up having so much fun when T comes for a visit?

Not so much when he comes for a visit but you do get a feeling of total euphoria when he leaves - kinda like when you stop banging your head against a wall.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2013, 10:33:21 AM »
Sounds like a great time!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »
Doc,
Now you have met the one person who can keep Tim in line (most of the time), his wife Kaye.  She should be put in for "sainthood".

Art

I agree!  ;) ;D
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 10:45:46 AM »
Really good story, David. If I counted right, there were ELEVEN menu items y'all tried!  I don't recall seeing any desserts on the list.  That's the way I eat when I go out. I don't want to have to leave room for dessert - bring on the good stuff.  Of course, as small as I am, I don't have that much room to start with -  8)

B T W, maybe this weekend will help you decide to attend the Gathering next fall.  Instead of trying just eleven things, you'll be tasting food all weekend long whilst spending time with some of the best folks on the earth.

Just sayin'...

Jack,

There were AT LEAST 11 items - and we passed them around so everyone had a chance to try everything. There wasn't anything we tried that wasn't very good or excellent. Some of the flavors were really special. I agree with you about passing on desert to leave more room for sampling the "good stuff!"

Yep, now that I've "bit the bullet" and met T, I guess there's no excuse for not coming to the Gathering. I'll put it on my calendar - health willing, I will be there.
Member #

PoppyBill

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2013, 11:52:47 AM »
Sounds like a lot of fun Doc.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »
Glad you guys got meet and share a meal. Tee's a fun & easy guy to be around.

Be honest; did the glare from his white legs break Dee's camera?  ;D
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68