Author Topic: Happy Veterans Day!  (Read 2310 times)

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
Re: Happy Veterans Day!
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2013, 10:30:35 AM »
Dee... Very well stated and a very accurate assessment.

Thank you for your service.
Author of "Mastering BBQ"
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Enough cast iron to sink a ship
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 10:35:44 AM »
Let me give my explanation of something. I may have posted this philosophy before and if I have forgive me because my memory is approaching that of the Turtle's.

You hear many people, particularly family members, complain veterans returning from war will never talk with them about what happen.  We don't do it because it is impossible for someone who has not been in war to comprehend what it's like talking about it to someone who can't comprehend does no good to either party.

If you ever observe some veterans talking about their war experiences you will most likely see them laughing and caring on.  Why? It's sort of black humor in that you are making lite of dangerous and what at times were really halarious situations even though they may have been life threatening. I guess it's sort of God's way of protecting our psyche and mind from going nuts if the dark side of what went on was dwelled on.

If you ever do run in to someone who goes on about their war experiences, be it in a bar or where ever, in my opinion one of two things exists.  First, they were in a war zone and so far in the rear they never heard a shot fired in anger and feel guilty about it and try to embellish in order to not feel inadequate. Or, second, they never were in war, maybe never even in uniform, and want to appear to be a warrior when in reality they are scared of their own shadow.

So, don't feel bad if a veteran doesn't talk to you about their experiences.  We don't do it because we believe you wouldn't understand and it would not accomplish anything.

Maybe if I had paid better attention in English classes in high school and college I would have been  able to better express the above thoughts to make them more lucid.  At least you get an inkling of what my thoughts are on this.

Dee

Very well explained Dee! I know of several people who "brag it up" about their war experiences and I have gotten fairly good in hearing BS, as I too know how it feels to be there! Been there, done that and don't really talk about it! I never forget, I just don't dwell on it!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Patio Cook#1

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 10:54:19 AM »
Dee,
Mega-Ditto.
Whatever number we're on
You nailed some very realistic thoughts there

Offline pz

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 12:25:35 PM »
Happy Veteran's Day, and my hat's off to all of you that served our country.  Although I was not in the military, by brother was an A4 pilot, a good friend was an F-14 RIO, and our son has been deployed twice in the past two years - once to Iraq, and returned not too long ago from the Philippines.  This spring, he's headed out again.  Father-in-law was a CWO4 on the Kitty Hawk.

None of them ever spoke much about anything related to their war experiences - we don't even ask.

Offline RAD

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 02:07:55 PM »
Happy Veterans Day my fellow Vets.
Love to cook and eat

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2013, 03:19:25 PM »
x11
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2013, 03:26:26 PM »
To all my fellow veterans... Thank you for your service.

For those who didn't serve... Thank a vet today!

VN 1971 - 1972 AF ARRS CH-53 pilot
USAFR 1972-2012 Ret LTC

Like Dee said... those that did don't talk about it; those that didn't like to think they did and talk about things they never did.

KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi
A garage full (literally) of cooking gear, pellets, charwood and wood chunks (no room for a car)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2013, 03:33:29 PM »
I just saw something y'all may like.  Go to YouTube and search "Marine stuns a tea party with fourth verse of Star Spangled Banner"

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2013, 03:55:06 PM »
Dee, Thank you!
In 56 years, I have never heard this. I will share it with my girls. Very moving.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2013, 09:47:22 PM »
To all my Friends on here..... Happy Veteran's Day!! Thank you for your service to this mighty Republic! Thank you for keeping my family safe; while missing time with yours. They say there is not debt that can't be repaid. This is the only debt I know for which it can never be repaid!! I wish all of you God's Abundant Blessings, Health and Smoke in your eyes!!!!

Here is a tribute that I post every Memorial Day and Veteran's Day....it is my simple way of honoring those who sacrificed the most and those who served with them.
Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.
"May the Smoke stay out of your eyes..but forever in your heart!"

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2013, 09:58:09 PM »
I just saw something y'all may like.  Go to YouTube and search "Marine stuns a tea party with fourth verse of Star Spangled Banner"

Dee

Thank you so much for bringing that to our attention..I took a time out and posted that to my Facebook page. Very, very powerful!

Yoder 1320, 3- VUDS's and a couple of Wally World  grills. Working on more all the time.

Offline dawrecknq

« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2013, 10:04:30 PM »
Let me give my explanation of something. I may have posted this philosophy before and if I have forgive me because my memory is approaching that of the Turtle's.

You hear many people, particularly family members, complain veterans returning from war will never talk with them about what happen.  We don't do it because it is impossible for someone who has not been in war to comprehend what it's like talking about it to someone who can't comprehend does no good to either party.

If you ever observe some veterans talking about their war experiences you will most likely see them laughing and caring on.  Why? It's sort of black humor in that you are making lite of dangerous and what at times were really halarious situations even though they may have been life threatening. I guess it's sort of God's way of protecting our psyche and mind from going nuts if the dark side of what went on was dwelled on.

If you ever do run in to someone who goes on about their war experiences, be it in a bar or where ever, in my opinion one of two things exists.  First, they were in a war zone and so far in the rear they never heard a shot fired in anger and feel guilty about it and try to embellish in order to not feel inadequate. Or, second, they never were in war, maybe never even in uniform, and want to appear to be a warrior when in reality they are scared of their own shadow.

So, don't feel bad if a veteran doesn't talk to you about their experiences.  We don't do it because we believe you wouldn't understand and it would not accomplish anything.

Maybe if I had paid better attention in English classes in high school and college I would have been  able to better express the above thoughts to make them more lucid.  At least you get an inkling of what my thoughts are on this.

Dee

You are 100% right and you expressed quite eloquently!! I never served in the military, but I have Uncles and Friends who did. I was raised what I call "country" and my Dad modeled a deep reverance for those who served. He just barely missed WWII and I have heard him tell how that affected him. That as his Brothers went to serve, he was safe; I also heard my Uncles telling him that his service at home, on the family farm, was just as important as theirs. My experiences even with them mirror exactly what you say. If I have the opportunity to talk to any Great American and in the quiet of our conversation hear any outpouring, I feel extremely honored and will hold that conversation close to my heart for I know what it means. Thank you once again for such a great post!

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2013, 11:30:57 PM »
During WWII there were many who served on the home front without whom we would never have won.  My Daddy was one. He was an ironworker in the shipyard and they would not let him join because he was needed building ships. That was our last "declared" war where everyone here and ''over there" were involved.  Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline bbqchef

• Cape Cod BBQ
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 07:28:13 AM »
Powerful video... more appropriate for Memorial Day but still very moving.

Thanks for posting it!
KCBS CBJ & CTC/ Ph. B.
Broilmaster P-3
Yoder YS640
WSM x 3
CharBroil Big Easy
Grill Dome Infinity
Weber kettle
Lodge hibachi