Author Topic: Spice question  (Read 988 times)

Offline fishingbouchman

Spice question
« Reply #-1 on: November 18, 2013, 12:37:41 AM »
Does brand make a big difference in quality?  Usually just purchase what ever at the grocery store. Am I missing out by not getting a better quality spice? 
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Spice question
« on: November 18, 2013, 03:15:38 AM »
I have had good "cheep" spices and bad "expensive" spices.  My opinion is find a brand that you consistently like.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 07:29:47 AM »
Penzey's carries some really good quality spices. And to me there is a difference.

Just like the difference in quality of fruits and vegetables spices can be the same.

McCormick and Spice Islands would be my choices for readily available in stores.

I personally do not feel they need to be organic though nor do I seek organic fruits and veggies either.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:25:57 AM »
Savory Spice Shop and Spices Inc. also carry BBQ rubs from local comp teams in addition to all their spices.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 08:52:27 AM »
You may want to check Amazon.com for rubs and sauces. They have a nice selection and reasonable prices. If you are an Amazon Prime customer, than you get free 2 day delivery. I have purchased many things via Amazon including spices and bread yeast by the pound. You can save a lot over many local stores and other internet pricing that adds shipping costs.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 09:04:18 AM »
This is a good great topic!  :)

I think key factor when it comes to herbs & spice quality is freshness, not brand.

Pre-ground herbs & spices loose their quality much faster and nothing beats buying whole herbs & spices and grinding them yourself.

I remember a couple years ago when I ground marjoram leaves for the first time. WOW; the smell was intoxicating! I had no idea the full aroma and taste I'd been missing all those years.  It's the same with Mustard, Coriander, Allspice, Pepper, etc. The difference is HUGE grinding them yourself versus buying it pre-ground.

Because bulk stores tend to have a quicker turn-over rate their spices are fresher than in grocery stores, AND it's cheaper! I spend a whole lot less money than I used to on spices by buying whole spices in bulk. And grinding spices makes your whole house smell good! ;)

My advice:
  • Buying spices at the grocery store is expensive; avoid it.
  • Penzey's is a good source, but if you search I bet you can find a local butcher or bulk food store that carries whole spices for less.
  • A small coffee grinder for grinding herbs & spices will pay for itself in no time at all.
  • Dried herbs/spice can also be vacuum packed and/or frozen to keep them fresher longer.
  • Start a small perennial herb garden for herbs that you use a lot. Harvest and dry them yourself.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:34:00 PM by TentHunteR »
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Hub

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 09:26:44 AM »
Lots of good advice already posted.  Kind of boils down to "if you want consistent quality, you get what you pay for".  Sometimes, you can score a bargain but often the spices "on special" at grocery stores and kitchen shops are getting past their prime or are full of extenders to create more bulk.  If they are cheap enough (recent purchase of garlic powder for 99 cents for example) I buy them anyway because I'm not out much if they are bad.

I like McCormick for most things and Sams Club has the large sizes for good prices.  Penzey's is dynamite good, but always very expensive on a per ounce basis.  KC Barbeque Supply is reliable source of rubs and sauces but I try to sandbag and wait to place a big order because shipping is sometimes less expensive on big orders.

Hub 
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2013, 10:20:53 AM »
Like the idea of grinding my own.  Any good choices for a coffee grinder? 

Would love to do fresh stuff. 

Muebe and PZ,

Do the Aerogarden work that well. 

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=6467.msg86585#msg86585

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=65.msg378#msg378
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline Northshore

Spice question
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2013, 11:33:19 AM »
If you have a food co-op in your area check out their
Bulk spice area.  I purchase some from penzys but at co-op I can buy small amounts when needed.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Offline pz

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
Pre-ground herbs & spices loose their quality much faster and nothing beats buying whole herbs & spices and grinding them yourself.

This is likely the most significant factor in great versus not so great spices.

Winco recently opened up in my area (until 2 weeks ago, I'd never even heard the name).  They have a great bulk foods section, including bulk spices.  The most cost effective way to keep spices is to re-use your old bottles and refill with bulk - purchased cumin the other day, and for the same quantity in a $5 bottle of regular grocery store spice, I paid roughly 50 cents at Winco.

I also use one of the cheap blade grinders for whole spice - I guess any brand would do nicely.

Muebe and PZ,

Do the Aerogarden work that well. 

They do for us - we now have 5 units spread throughout the house.  Planted basil about a month ago, and just now harvest fresh herb to do on our pizzas this past weekend.  The unit in our bedroom (which I use for an "alarm clock") is about 5 years or so old - still works great.