Author Topic: Making Pierogi  (Read 1387 times)

Offline GusRobin

• Test
Making Pierogi
« Reply #-1 on: November 23, 2013, 11:34:08 PM »
Every year I make pierogi (Polish dumplings), kielbasa, and golabki (stuffed cabbage)for Thanksgiving and Christmas. So I decided to do it this weekend. I got pics for some of the steps, but not all.

Basically you make dough, and some stuffing. For the stuffing I used mashed potatoes, with cheddar cheese and grilled chopped onions.

Here are the onions cooking.

I used a pasta maker to roll out the dough.

Last Christmas I got a pierogi maker. Basically you roll out the dough, lay it across the template, add the stuffing, add another layer of dough and use a rolling pin across the template. The sharp edges press the layers together and cut into shape. It can make 18 at a time if you cover the whole template with dough. But since I was using the pasta maker my dough wasn't wide enough to cover all 3 rows. So I did the 2 outer rows.
Here is a pic with one row with the stuffing added and the other with the stuffing and the top layer of dough.

Here is a pic after I rolled the template. In the bottom I removed the extra dough.

After you remove the excess dough, you just pop out the perfectly formed pierogi and don't have to hand press the edges.

Then you boil a pot of water. You throw in the pierogi and remove them when they rise to the top.

Since I am going to freeze them, I take them out and run them through a cold bath.

I then dry them off and put them on a rack. I use the racks from the Bradley. When I have a full rack I put the rack in the freezer.

After they are frozen, I take them out and off the rack. I usually put 6 each in a small zip lock vac seal bag. Then put the bags in a 2 gallon bag. Here they are bagged and tagged.

When its time to eat, just take some out, fry them up with some butter and onions and enjoy.

1 down, kielbasa and golabki to go.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Making Pierogi
« on: November 24, 2013, 12:22:37 AM »
A great system. Those look real good - look forward to the ultimate cook!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2013, 01:31:37 AM »
That will be some great eating Gus!!! I wish I could make them, love em!!! Don't tell me it's easy, this ole boy has just never got along with dough! Probably a head thing. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline BurntENZ

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2013, 06:30:26 AM »
Oh, there is nothing like fresh.  I'll take 2 bags.
Cheers,
Scott

Rec Tec Smoker
WSM
sticks and fire

"BBQ is slow, have patience.  Do you have a bottle opener handy? If so use it, if not go get one..."

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2013, 07:53:35 AM »
Gus..them look fabulous..wanna share your dough recipe. I was at a Polish restaurant last week in Orlando and had just what your making, Kielbasa, cabbage rolls and pierogis. My family, me mainly, make the stuffed cabbage rolls, but we do it Rumanian style with sauerkraut and covered in ham skin to cook. No tomato sauce. I'm the only one that makes them any more. Nobody is interested any more..shame. Might make some for Christmas..sounds too good.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2013, 07:55:27 AM »
Those look like they are going to be delicious Gus!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2013, 08:44:15 AM »
What time are you serving this deliciousness?  Throw some Halušky in the mix, and you pretty much have every one of my favorite Eastern European dishes covered.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pappymn

Making Pierogi
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2013, 10:36:00 AM »
Looks awesome! What if you turned the dough the other way, would it cover your template better and get a better yield?
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Eatin Smoke

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 11:57:22 AM »
Thanks for the tutorial Gus.......The Mrs. Loves pierogi so I definitely gotta try making these.

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 12:29:25 PM »
Gus..them look fabulous..wanna share your dough recipe. I was at a Polish restaurant last week in Orlando and had just what your making, Kielbasa, cabbage rolls and pierogis. My family, me mainly, make the stuffed cabbage rolls, but we do it Rumanian style with sauerkraut and covered in ham skin to cook. No tomato sauce. I'm the only one that makes them any more. Nobody is interested any more..shame. Might make some for Christmas..sounds too good.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ

Dough :             
flour   5 cups   
egg   2 each      
salt   2 tsp   
sour cream 16 oz   
Filling            
potatoes   10-12   
butter   A/R   A/R      
cottage cheese 1/4 cup
chopped onions 1 cup
shredded cheddar cheese   cups   0.75      
"Dough -combine flour, egg, salt & sour cream and mix thoroughly. Knead the dough-should be moist after kneading. Roll out small pieces of dough, as thin as you can. With small glass, cut out dough circles. (I used the template). Place on floured platter, ready to stuff.
Stuffing- boil potatoes, whip until fluffy.  Brown chopped onions. Add butter, cottage cheese, cheddar cheese, and onions to the potatoes. With a small spoon, put stuffing in middle of the dough circles. Press dough firmly around edges.
Cooking-Put pirogi in pot of boiling water, a few at a time. Cook until pirogi rise to top. Remove with spoon with holes and put in a collander and rinse with cool water for a few seconds. Put on wax paper to dry.
Serving- either fry in butter or put in buttered casserole dish with some fried onions and butter between layers. Bake at 350* 20-30 minutes until golden brown. (or freeze for later use.

Here is the template http://www.amazon.com/Hunky-Bill-Little-Pierogi-Maker/dp/B00A4F14KQ

Let me know if you have any questions.

"            

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 01:31:59 PM »
 Wow they look good ;D

I like frying up Bacon they cooking mine in the bacon fat, served with sour cream. :P
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
Making Pierogi
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 07:27:13 PM »
Awesome!! I have the same template.. Can just never get my dough thin enough. Need to work in that.
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 07:31:52 PM »
Awesome!! I have the same template.. Can just never get my dough thin enough.
Thats why I used the pasta maker.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:48:51 PM by GusRobin »

Offline Scallywag

• Ontario, Canada
Making Pierogi
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 07:34:30 PM »
I think I need a pasta maker then...:)
Mak 2 star #855
XL BGE
18.5 WSM

Offline pz

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 12:10:35 AM »
There's no substitute for a good pasta maker - the Kitchen Aid attachment works great - perfect pasta every time.  We're planning to make home made pasta for the after Thanksgiving turkey noodle soup