Author Topic: Thanksgiving prep - Wednesday  (Read 567 times)

Offline pz

Thanksgiving prep - Wednesday
« Reply #-1 on: November 27, 2013, 05:19:45 PM »
We're on vacation starting today, and started the morning with Champagne and leftover pizza, topped with a runny yolk egg (always think of you, David, when we do these eggs) - poached

... our egg poacher - Costco

Pizza left over from last night, crust crisped in the oven at 450F, then topped with the poached egg - Champagne is not pictured  :D

Then dried black beans, pork, and an assortment of dried chiles into the pressure cooker for 75 minutes - this will be a taco base for snacking while we prep food tomorrow

Now I'm draining the hot tub for a fresh change, then off to soak the bird and salmon in brine - plan to do Kummok's Bradley method.  We have a friend living in Sitka, AK that owns a fishing boat - they send us frozen fish - this time coho sport caught with skin on

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Thanksgiving prep - Wednesday
« on: November 27, 2013, 05:39:31 PM »
pz, that looks like a fine way to start your pre-Thanksgiving holiday. Thanks for the thought - I love your eggs! Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, my friend!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 05:39:39 PM »
Very nice!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 06:21:21 PM »
I am always on vacation. I kinda like it but I always find myself doing something because I can't sit still.

So, today, I went to do some final shopping and bought 3 lbs. of green beans for $.88 per lb.; 4 more bags of cranberries because my wife ate up all of the cranberry sauce that I made; a dozen navel oranges, and other stuff including a nice fresh bottle of Grande Mariner to sip after dinner.The highlight was that I made a decadent chocolate cake for my grandson, who is a chocoholic. I enjoyed this as I got to lick the bowls with the mixture and the frosting. When I was waiting to do something else, I did a load of colors and then folded the clothes and put them away.

After that, I made the brine, chilled it in the fridge, and brined the turkey. When that was completed, I cooked the giblits in a broth heavily spiced and made with celery and carrots. Gave the dog the giblets with her kibble, and save the broth to mix and form the gravy.

The next things are going to be the sweet potatoe casserol with brown sugar, butter and cinnamon and then the greenbean casserole.

I may be too tired to eat.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 06:29:57 PM »
Looks like a great day!! I'm off today too, go back to work on Monday :)

Offline Savannahsmoker

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 08:04:53 PM »
Poached egg and champagne, what's not to like. :)
Art

Blaz'n Grill Works Grid Iron (Copper)
Royall RG 2000 (gone to live with nephew)
Weber Genesis E-330 (Copper)
The Big Easy
Weber Smokey Joe Gold for fun and vacation,

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 08:09:40 PM »
That's the way to start the day! I am off too until Tuesday morning, so I am sure that the
"missing" honeydew list is going to show up soon!  8)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles