Author Topic: Do you or don't you?  (Read 3152 times)

Offline flbentrider

Do you or don't you?
« Reply #-1 on: December 04, 2013, 09:03:09 PM »
Two Questions:

1. Do you brine your poultry? (assuming it is not "enhanced" already)

2. Do you rub you pork butt/ribs/brisket and then wrap for an overnight rest in the chill chest?

It occurred to me that one of my reasons for doing both of these has nothing to do with enhancing the flavor of the food, but everything to do with ensuring that the product that you are cooking has not spoiled prematurely - and in time for you to do something about it before your cook. I have saved at least 2 or three cooks with this method.

I've done a blind taste test with a brisket that I cut in half. One section was rubbed and wrapped overnight, the other rubbing just before smoking. My testers could not tell the difference.

If your results differ, that is great for you.

Offline Pappymn

Do you or don't you?
« on: December 04, 2013, 09:20:32 PM »
I brine poultry for 48 hours, at least for turkey. Maybe shorter for chicken
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Do you or don't you?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 09:22:54 PM »
I like to brine turkeys. And - sometimes it is because of time or space limitations - so I can bay buy a day or two by brining.

As for rub and rest on pork and beef…I like to rub, and inject if desired - then vacuum bag, and put in the fridge for 2 or 3 days. That really allows enough time for the flavors to penetrate.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »
Yes.

I brine whole chickens for 24 hours, parts of chickens for 4 to 6 hours and turkeys for 24 hours.

I brine pork loin for 24 hours. I also brine pork chops, country style ribs and regular ribs over night.

After the brine process, I cover the pork or chicken products with rub and and let that sit overnight. Just those processes before putting them on the smoker take at least a couple of days.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline IBCookin

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 09:43:40 PM »
I brine turkey but not chicken.

I rub beef and pork an hour or so before cooking and let it set from fridge to room temp, then right to the pellet cooker.
I find the rub either soaks into the meat while setting or stays on the meat and cooks into a crust (depending on what and how much I use). I find the flavor to be good and not overpowering.

Supreme Commander likes it so that takes care of that....  :-*
Everyone is good at something....
I just happen to be a good bad example.

GMG Daniel Boone Pellet Cooker

Offline GusRobin

• Test
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 10:19:12 PM »
I used to brine my poultry until I got my SRG. With it I don't need to brine.
I rub and put in the fridge overnight if I remember to do it the night before.
Why couldn't Noah have swatted the 2 mosquitoes?.

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »
no brining here.  take FT and meat out of frig.  put rub on meat.  enjoy FT.  start smoker and let come up to temp.  have another FT.  when 2nd FT is done put meat on.  nothing to do, might as well have one more.  ya know, cause we have to sit next to the smoker and I get thirsty.   ;)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline pz

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 12:08:07 AM »
I brined a turkey for the first time this Thanksgiving.  Tonight we had leftovers and without any kind of solicitation on my part, my wife said "mmmmm.... the turkey is really good, even cold... I can taste the herbs and spices in the meat"

My wife has never enjoyed cold bird before - always heats it with gravy or whatever moisture adder we have on hand that works.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 02:28:13 AM »
Yes for brining non-enhanced bird (though I'll be honest I am buying enhanced more and more recently).  No for wrapping rubbed meat overnight (I typically rub while the pit is coming to temp).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 07:09:14 AM »
I do like to wrap rubbed butts overnight when I have time. Most other meats it might be a few hours in the fridge. Ribs I will season before putting on the grill.

I really don't brine chicken much. I do brine Salmon when I smoke it.

I do like to season steaks and chops before vac sealing and freezing however.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 07:57:50 AM »
Randy....I totally understand why you do things early.  I don't do chicken or turkey so can't answer your brine question.  On Brisket or Pork I take out and rub and they go straight into the smoker.  This is going to change.

I had a 9 pound frozen Butt that I bought on sale and had planned to smoke Thanksgiving eve and pull Thanksgiving day and took it out of the freezer and I put it in cold water to get it to thaw.  I opened the bag to take it out to rub it and it stank up the house.  I had just purchased it 2 weeks prior.  This had to get on the smoker at 6pm so it would be ready to pull Thanksgiving morning before we left.  I ran back to Wally World with the rank Butt and they gave me store credit.  When to the meat section and they had 1 Butt left.  I was border line of being out of luck.  Brought it home and prayed that it was good.  Opened it up and it was good so rubbed it and smoked it as planned.  Got it smoked, FTC and pulled by 11am and bagged.  Was off to the daughters for Thanksgiving.  Friday I reheated it in the crock pot with some apple juice and the troops polished it off.

Long winded answer but I think doing your meat the day before you need it is the way to go in case you get a bad hunk, you have time to get another.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 08:07:48 AM »
For chuckies and butts and briskies, the longer they get happy with rub the better. I once had a brisket all rubbed down for a long cook and I overslept. I got mad and tossed the brisket in the freezer for a week. I refrigerator thawed it for about 4 days. The flavor seemed to go down deep into the meat. I now do this most of the time for briskets and butts. Works for ribs as well, but the refrigerator thaw is 1-2 days...................
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline veryolddog

• New Braunfels, Texas
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »
For chuckies and butts and briskies, the longer they get happy with rub the better. I once had a brisket all rubbed down for a long cook and I overslept. I got mad and tossed the brisket in the freezer for a week. I refrigerator thawed it for about 4 days. The flavor seemed to go down deep into the meat. I now do this most of the time for briskets and butts. Works for ribs as well, but the refrigerator thaw is 1-2 days...................

Interesting. That might be worth a try. I will have to remember this before I vacuum seal the meat to put into the freezer.

For brisket and tri tip, I usually apply a marinade of teriaki (sp), worcestorshire, olive oil, and beef broth with a 1/2 cup of home made rub without sugar. The brisket weighing in usually between 11 and 14 lbs. requires more liquid proportion. This sits in the fridge for two days in a zippered zip lock or hefty bag rotated occasionally. The flavor seems to really sink into the meat. Before smoking, I usually give it a fresh coat of rub.

Ed
An empty grill or pan is a blank canvas on which you can create like an artist!
Yoder YS480 Pellet Smoker and Yoder Cheyenne Stick Burner
Weber 22.5 OTG and Kettlepizza
Just an old Marine who remembers.

Offline BAM1

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 03:59:10 PM »
I brine Turkeys and Chicken.  Most off my butts and brisket I smear with CYM, apply rub, and let sit at room temp for about 45 minutes, re-apply rub and put on the smoker.
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline tnjimbob

• I'm a grillin & smokin' fool.
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 04:31:26 PM »
I brine turkeys 12-24 hrs. depending on size. Sometimes brine whole chicken too, but not if I spatch them. Chicken parts, no brine. I allow enough extra time for turkeys to air dry overnight in the fridge. Really helps with getting better, non-rubbery skin on smoked birds. If I am deep frying a bird, no brine, but I inject them heavily with seasoned melted butter about an hour before they go for a swim.

Rubs - Butts get rubbed the night before & put into the fridge, then I re-rub about an hour before they go on the smoker. Briskets get rubbed about 4 hrs. before they go on the smoker. Ribs - only about 30 mins. before they get cooked.

comp rules are a little different.  8)
Rec Tec pellet grill
Traeger Lil' Tex Elite 07E
Weber WSM
Weber SS Performer
Weber OTG w/ rotisserie
Char Broil SRG
A-maze-n-tube smoker
Hyperfast Orange Thermapen