Author Topic: Do you or don't you?  (Read 3151 times)

Offline Hub

Re: Do you or don't you?
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 05:01:02 PM »
I've never been a poultry briner, but I do inject, particularly the white meat.  I really like a 50/50 mixture of EVOO and melted butter augmented by just a pinch or two of salt and garlic powder.  Use a lot of small injections, both shallow and deep.

As to when to rub, I advise paying attention to the ingredients.  Rubs that are heavy in salt and/or MSG (and that includes a lot of them) can have an unintended effect if you leave the rub on too long before the cook.  They will make the outer surface of the meat either dry or somewhat mushy depending on the mix.  If you learn to manage this effect on a butt, for instance, it can lead to really good bark.  However, it can make (after cooking) a sort of "skin" on ribs under some conditions.  On chicken or turkey skin it can create an over-dry situation where the skin will split during the cook.  I've never had rub on long enough to ruin a cook, but I've learned what the impacts can be. 

As a general rule, since rubs only affect the outermost part of the meat and don't tend to sink in much, I rub about an hour before the cook.

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 05:35:42 PM »
I normally brine all my chicken.  I tried tee's recommendation awhile back on injecting some pork butts
and brisket, rubbing them done with Fine Swine, vacuumed for 3 days.  We thought they were really
great this way.  Prior to that I usually inject briskets and butts, put rub on and refrigerate overnight. Prior
to going onto the smoker I hit them with a little more rub for crust purposes.  Either way works for us, just
depends on how much time I want to expend on them before smoking. 
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline smoker pete

• Smokin' Pete's BBQ Blog
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 06:23:40 PM »
I brine whole chickens for 24 hours, parts of chickens for 4 to 6 hours and turkeys for 24 hours.
Ed

Like Ed, I too have been know to brine Chicken and Turkey as per his numbers.

But my Butts, Briskets, Tri-Tips, Roasts, etc are rubbed with EVOO and a dry rub before being wrapped in plastic and refrigerated overnight.
MAK 2 Star General - Serial # 2325
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
Char Broil SRG

Offline MJSBBQ

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 08:38:42 PM »
I brine overnight all turkey and chicken before putting it in TBE.

Ribs and butts are sprayed with canola and rubbed a few hours before.

Offline Smokin Soon

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 08:59:56 PM »
no brining here.  take FT and meat out of frig.  put rub on meat.  enjoy FT.  start smoker and let come up to temp.  have another FT.  when 2nd FT is done put meat on.  nothing to do, might as well have one more.  ya know, cause we have to sit next to the smoker and I get thirsty.   ;)

Pretty much my standard ops also, except today is very cold here. 49 deg! There will be a Brandy or 2 also!
Traeger 070
2 Big Easy's

Offline Keymaster

• Keymaster Kitchen
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2013, 09:26:23 PM »
I usually just Season and cook, Only brine jerky and salmon in a bath. Hard to find birds that have not been solutioned around these parts :) Even our supposed fresh turkey this year was solutioned...

Offline flbentrider

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2013, 09:44:01 PM »
I usually just Season and cook, Only brine jerky and salmon in a bath. Hard to find birds that have not been solutioned around these parts :) Even our supposed fresh turkey this year was solutioned...

My HF "highfalutin" bird was minimally processed.