Author Topic: Scotch ...  (Read 3359 times)

Offline pz

Scotch ...
« Reply #-1 on: December 27, 2013, 12:28:01 AM »
Very smooth

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Re: Scotch ...
« on: December 27, 2013, 01:31:27 AM »
That brings back memories. I used to like scotch too well, while in Alaska, USAF, 1967-68 I was drinking JD green label sour mash and coke, always got hung over when overdone! A friend said drink scotch and you will not have a hangover. It took a few times but got to love it. I usually drank JW red label and he was right you didn't get hungover; you just got high again after drinking some water! ::) About every Fri. night 4 of us sat down to playing double deck pinochle after supper. We each had a fifth of our favorite. I had the scotch with ice and a little water. When the booze was gone we went to the NCO club to finish the night! During the winter months it was usually a repeat on Sat. night and then hit the NCO club Sun. morning for sick call. They had free salty dogs, either vodka or gin mixed with grapefruit juice in a large punch bowl and salt to coat the glass with. I got off the scotch when I came back home.

I stay pretty much with beer but buy some bourbon around the holidays every year. I bought a fifth of Elijah Craig 12 yr. old small batch bourbon 97 proof this year. I like to sip a shot with a beer.

I had to look up your JW Blue, looks like it is about their top of the line. I think I need to try some if the local liquor store has any! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline pz

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 02:38:11 AM »
Sounds like you have a great time back in the days, Don!  Just the kind of memories I like to relive.  I'm relatively new to Scotch - only for the past two years or so, but I'm definitely developing my favorite appellations - Speyside in the Highlands area for the sweet, mellow, smooth, and Islay for the peaty styles.

The blue label is very good to me because it encompasses what appears to be all the Scottish appellations in a single whiskey.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 04:33:06 AM »
I've never been a great fan of Johnny Walker Blue but not because it doesn't taste good.  It's a nice blend but I just don't think it merits the price tag (at least $140 for 750 ml). There are just too many blends and single malts that taste as good or better to me and are better values. 

As you work your way through the Speysides, try Abelour A'bunadh.  For my money (usually about $55-60) it's the best under $100 bottle on the market.  It's a recreation of an old recipe (from the late 1800s) and since it's aged in sherry casks, is somewhat sweeter and softer than most scotches.  At cask strength (about 120 proof) it can kick your a$$ if you're not careful. Try it with a splash, a cube, or straight - it's almost like three different whiskies.

OBTW, American and Irish products usually use the "whiskey" spelling (but not always) while Scotch whisky is pretty much always spelled without the "e."
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 05:11:04 AM »
Ah, memories.  Scotch was my drink of choice before I quit.  My regular drink was Dewar's White Label, my mid grade was Glenfiddich 12, and my top shelf was Glenlivet 18.  Anything more expensive than that was out of my price range.  I have had JWB and enjoyed it, but I agree that it is overpriced.  Given the choice between it and either of the singles I mentioned, I will take the others even if I am not paying.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 05:27:30 AM by sliding_billy »
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 05:12:48 AM »
I've never been a great fan of Johnny Walker Blue but not because it doesn't taste good.  It's a nice blend but I just don't think it merits the price tag (at least $140 for 750 ml). There are just too many blends and single malts that taste as good or better to me and are better values. 

As you work your way through the Speysides, try Abelour A'bunadh.  For my money (usually about $55-60) it's the best under $100 bottle on the market.  It's a recreation of an old recipe (from the late 1800s) and since it's aged in sherry casks, is somewhat sweeter and softer than most scotches.  At cask strength (about 120 proof) it can kick your a$$ if you're not careful. Try it with a splash, a cube, or straight - it's almost like three different whiskies.

OBTW, American and Irish products usually use the "whiskey" spelling (but not always) while Scotch whisky is pretty much always spelled without the "e."

Have you tried the stainless steel ice cubes? I want some for wine. What do you think? I freeze my whiskey and Vodka..well not freeze but I keep them in the freezer.  Pam .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 09:27:29 AM »
I figured the JW blue was expensive but at $140 I won't be trying any!!  :o $30 is high end for me!!! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 09:33:13 AM »
While on a trip to Edinborough, Scoland my wife and I took the "Scotch Experience" tour.  Learned all about the four regions that produce the different "flavors" of scotch.  Got to taste them all, too.  Each one was very distinctive.  All good, too.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:24:39 AM »

Now that is an interesting tidbit.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 12:02:42 PM »
While on a trip to Edinborough, Scoland my wife and I took the "Scotch Experience" tour.  Learned all about the four regions that produce the different "flavors" of scotch.  Got to taste them all, too.  Each one was very distinctive.  All good, too.

Art

My mom and I did something similar a couple of years back in Edinborough-- was just fascinating to get to taste the different styles all next to each other and have the differences explained in that kind of hands on experience.  Ardbeg was both our favorite, although the price tag keeps me from indulging my newly refined tastes!   :'(   
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 12:07:16 PM »
See now were talking whisky on a BBQ forum. That's the more past ;D

My favourite  http://www.gibsonsfinest.ca

;D ;D ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline fishingbouchman

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »
Next trip to Hiland I so want do this. Golf and scotch trip.  Sounds just awesome.
Mak 1 Star
Weber Kettle "Blue"

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 12:17:33 PM »
crown royal for me.  never been a scotch drinker.  my brother n law loves a good scotch.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »
I will convert ya someday Sparky ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 01:49:26 PM »
One of my favorite drinks (especially great in the winter) is/was scotch and milk (with a little bit of honey).
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS