Author Topic: Sauerkraut and Pork Chops  (Read 1976 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Sauerkraut and Pork Chops
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 10:17:46 AM »
We love those crock-pot bags. Makes for easy cleanup!

Recipe looks interesting RAD. I imagine those flavors go good together ;)
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline RAD

« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 12:23:02 PM »
Looks good to me Rad!! We like it sour and without the sweet stuff, apples & apple juice, but I have done it that way and not bad but prefer the sour. Like you I always find chops come out a little dry when done in a crockpot. I like to use smoked sausage, brats, any kind of ribs or a mix of these. I have used just a small pork shoulder roast too. Don
Thanks Don, I will give this a try. Do you add anything other than the kraut?

Rad here is a link to how I typically do mine http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2668.0
Polish sausage is my least favorite, too fatty for me, I don't rinse the kraut just pour off the juice then add. Seasoning is salt, pepper, onions, a little garlic. I add a beer and then water if needed. My wife makes the drop noodles but didn't this New Years. The link shows how the noodles look. I had a post showing how she makes them but I couldn't find it. Don
Thanks Don, I bookmarked you post for my next Pork/Kraut cook. I think I am going go with your idea of using country style ribs with the sausage. Do you pre-cook the ribs and sausage or let the crock do the work?
Love to cook and eat

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »
Looks good to me Rad!! We like it sour and without the sweet stuff, apples & apple juice, but I have done it that way and not bad but prefer the sour. Like you I always find chops come out a little dry when done in a crockpot. I like to use smoked sausage, brats, any kind of ribs or a mix of these. I have used just a small pork shoulder roast too. Don

Rad here is a link to how I typically do mine http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=2668.0
Polish sausage is my least favorite, too fatty for me, I don't rinse the kraut just pour off the juice then add. Seasoning is salt, pepper, onions, a little garlic. I add a beer and then water if needed. My wife makes the drop noodles but didn't this New Years. The link shows how the noodles look. I had a post showing how she makes them but I couldn't find it. Don
Thanks Don, I bookmarked you post for my next Pork/Kraut cook. I think I am going go with your idea of using country style ribs with the sausage. Do you pre-cook the ribs and sausage or let the crock do the work?
Yes I smoke them first. Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline RAD

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2014, 01:25:54 PM »

Yes I smoke them first. Don
The ribs don't get dried out?
Love to cook and eat

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2014, 12:28:14 AM »
This was such an inspirational cook Rad!  I love pork & sauerkraut & especially Bavarian style. Apples just go so well with pork.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68