Author Topic: Pork Butt prices  (Read 4921 times)

Offline Sailor1

Pork Butt prices
« Reply #-1 on: April 04, 2014, 03:10:51 PM »
Went to Costco today to pick up 30 pounds of Butt and about flipped out over the price.  Last time I bought some Butt from Costco it was $1.89 a pound and today I paid $2.59 a pound.  That is about a 37% increase.  I know there is a virus out there that is killing the baby piggies and this is having a big impact on the price. 

The thing that floors me is that I am going to make a big load of Kielbasa over the weekend and I checked the price of Kielbasa in Costco and the 4 pound Hillshire Farms brand Kielbasa is selling for $9.96 which is $2.49 per pound.  With the price of Pork and the price of Ground Beef at $3.58 per pound it will cost me about $3.08 per pound to make and that is just for the meat not including casings, spices and cost of smoking plus the time to grind, mix and stuff.  I really enjoy making sausage and will continue to make sausage as my stuff is a heck of a lot better than Hillshires or other store bought stuff.  I guess my rant is how in the heck can a major producer make a product about $.50 cents cheaper than my raw cost on meat alone.

I feel better getting this off my chest.  Thanks for letting me vent.  Will post photos of my weekend projects later.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline Pappymn

Pork Butt prices
« on: April 04, 2014, 03:36:35 PM »
I looked at my Costco yesterday, I think it was $2.29. Which is still up. I need 60 pounds for a grad party....I better get on it.
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
Re: Pork Butt prices
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 03:44:11 PM »

Wholesale price around here is $2/lb...    Ouch.

Offline BAM1

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 04:17:49 PM »
Depending on when the Sausage was made is how it was priced.  two months ago pork butts at Sam's where $1.69 a pound.  I looked at a Sam's reciept from last April and the case price I paid was $1.07 a pound.
BAMBQ KCBS BBQ Team
Traeger Texas model 075 w/Savannah Stoker
GMG Jim Bowie
Bradley digital 6 rack w/Auber PID and 900w mod
Bradley counter top two rack
2 Weber Performer charcoal grills
Backwoods Fatboy
Charbroil SRG
Kamodo Big Joe
2 Gateway Drum smokers
KCBS CBJ

Offline Sailor1

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2014, 04:22:50 PM »

Wholesale price around here is $2/lb...    Ouch.
Yikes.  Got a buddy that runs a BBQ joint here and he was paying .99 per pound for bone in Butt a few months ago.  He said that was a case price that is around the time that I was paying $1.89 per pound at Costco.  I have not talked to him lately but I bet that price is well above the .99 per pound now.  He buys from SYSCO.  For those in retail BBQ business it is going to be very hard to eat a 30 to 40% price increase for food cost.  I may have to go see him and see if he will sell me a case of Butts  ;D

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Offline squirtthecat

• Springfield-ish, IL
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 04:44:37 PM »

For those in retail BBQ business it is going to be very hard to eat a 30 to 40% price increase for food cost.

Tell me about it..    ;)     (that's what I do on the weekends)

We had to raise our prices as well, but people understand why.   They see what things cost at the store.   And we sell the daylights out of this stuff.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 04:51:49 PM »
Price here is 1.69 lb on avg,  but you can find a sale once in awhile.   The warehouse where I get butts for church they run 1.39 to 1.49 for a case.   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline LostArrow

• Often wrong but never in doubt!
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 05:45:07 PM »
It's a BAD time to be a carnivore  ???
Beef stocks @ very low level.
Pork virus
Seafood has gone up the wazoo!
The only good thing is pork stocks recover quickly , but beef takes years!
I'm not sure with all these yuppies seafood will ever be cheap again.
ThankGod Tofu is still cheap ::)
New Braunfels El Darado
Hasty-Bake
Genesis S-330 gasser
Weber Red Genesis 1000
Weber q220
CharBroil CB-740
Char-Griller Kamodo
Curbside kettle
Big Homemade Horizonal smoker @ hunt camp

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 08:08:08 PM »
I know it doesn't help, but I was at WinCo tonight and they had 2-packs of butts for $0.99/lb.  I have 5 large butts in the chest freezer right now and no room for any more.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Tenpoint5

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2014, 02:49:31 AM »
Because if you look at there product it is mostly fat! they are running about a 50/50 mix from what it looks like when Momma buys them.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!