Author Topic: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse  (Read 64009 times)

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Im building an aquaponic hoophouse
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2014, 11:03:05 PM »
This plumbing is making me crazy,nothing is working like it should.Still trying,switch to plan B is turning into switch to plan F,try again tomorrow.Bell siphons arent draining with 1 pump running 2 beds,going to go to smaller siphons.VERY frustrating,this last part is just a freakin bear!

I may have to switch to high flow submersible pumps,and I dont want electric mixing with the water.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2014, 01:20:19 AM »
Hang in there, Spuds - you will get it figured out.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2014, 08:41:01 AM »
Good luck Spuds!

I am rooting for you!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2014, 11:28:51 AM »
Good luck Spuds!

I am rooting for you!

Me, too.

Offline spuds

« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2014, 11:43:57 PM »
Right now its taking 30-60 minutes to run one cycle of water thru the grow beds,so I only get so many chances a day to test the bell siphons,but at dark thirty today I think Ive got it figured out,the tolerances in the pipes that make up the bell siphons have be about 1/8 inch maximum,I THINK that might be secret to them.Tomorrow I will buy some more fittings and see If I have it figured out.

VERY frustrating!

Even more frustrating is if I just had pumps pumping higher volumes my bell siphons would be screaming along like the internet videos all show.Instead mine have to function perfectly,or they wont function at all,low flow leaves ZERO wiggle room in their function and design.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline spuds

Re: Tricks and tips on the bell siphon
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2014, 11:01:35 PM »
OK,here it is....now bear in mind these are prototypes to proof system on the bells,final instead of plastic bottles the bell will be 2 or 1.5 inch pipe.

It is made of 2 parts,the standpipe on right of 1 inch pipe that goes thru the bed thru the black bulkhead fitting.The clear plastic bottle is the bell part.Ignore the skinny black tubing,another story on breaking siphon but I think I can get away without it.Note water level about 1/2 way up,it needs to get to top then creates a siphon to drain bed.

Here is a siphon thats siphoning,sucking water into standpipe and out thru pipe into water tank.When it reaches bottom of bell,it sucks in air and breaks the siphon suction,pump refills bed.The problem was starting suction.It takes 14 lbs of air pressure between top of bell and top of standpipe,with my low volumes I couldnt get a siphon started,it just drained in as fast as pump brought in water.Found 2 tricks,get top of bell to within 1/8 inch or so of top of standpipe,making creating that air pressure easier,and putting a slight angle on top of standpipe,why that starts it better,and stops it reliably I dont know,it just does in this setup.

The next problem was the pump.The plan was pump would fill one bed...

I was going to connect the beds by a pipe side to side on bed,thru black bulkhead fittings,then tee'd over to other bed,as water seeks its own level,using just one pump and one siphon to fill and drain 2 beds but 2 problems....1 it didnt work well,and 2 its exposed to freezing weather and freezing and plastic pipes just wont work...Top and bottom pic of pipes.

Ignore white pipe,its just sitting there.The bulkhead fittings will be plugged and pipes removed,just didnt work

This is how pump works now,feeding both beds,and a bell siphon per each bed.Dont know if air pump has enough air to run 2 water pumps,1 per tank,we will see.

Note downspout has a little water container at outlet,without it you hear the rushing sloshing water as its pumped and also air escaping,it is truly loud and a big muffling effect doing that,so downspouts will have a water seal to drain into.

Another 62 dollars

Nice to be moving forward again!

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:34:20 AM by spuds »

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2014, 10:21:48 AM »
You have really piqued my curiosity on this stuff, so I've been doing some reading, watching videos, etc.  Now you've got me wanting to try my hand at this.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline spuds

« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2014, 10:51:08 AM »
You have really piqued my curiosity on this stuff, so I've been doing some reading, watching videos, etc.  Now you've got me wanting to try my hand at this.
Just found this guy,His name is Affnan. He has really good youtube videos over a 5 year period,and a blog,and is easy to listen to and read,laid back style.Has the system down with a really nice style.

Has become my go to source for getting the siphons to function.

http://www.affnanaquaponics.com/

Offline hikerman

« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2014, 11:01:42 AM »
Good luck Spuds!  I'm sure your diligence will bring it all together! Watching your progress proudly buddy!

Offline spuds

« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2014, 02:13:35 AM »
Thanks.

Gotta love it,huh?
=========================
Hello,

The following item(s) from your recent order are either currently out of stock or on special order:

ORDER                                                      DATE               PART                          DESCRIPTION      ORDER
 QTY         B/O QTY
      8/25/2014
PF-429-211
1 1/2" x 1" Reducing Coupling Slip x Slip Sch 40 Fitting White- 5

You will receive an item fulfillment email with a tracking number as soon as your item(s) ship.  We value your business.

Thank You,
Lynn De La Ossa

Irrigation Direct, Inc.

Offline spuds

« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2014, 12:18:37 AM »
Hygroton and a little perlite (bought used,is what it is) for media in beds x 2 ,woohoo!

Coffee can around the bell to keep hygroton off bell and getting into bell siphon.Best answer has been 2 liter pop bottle with top cut off and bottom up over standpipe.I will tweak them a little more for reliability using 1.5 inch reducer to the top of the standpipe thats 1 inch creating a little funnel on top,supposed to really enhance suction and breaking suction,those parts are on order.

Offline spuds

aquaponic hoophouse beds up and running
« Reply #100 on: August 28, 2014, 07:42:10 PM »
Great progress today,2 beds set up.They still have hydro nutrients on media,tossed in a handful of chicken poo,made a tea and added it.Will start the bacteria growth with that,will take over 2 months for the beds to make the ammonia into nitrates for plant food.

Put in some tomatoes,a flower,and some strawberries,they wont do that well but when they really perk up I'll know the nutrients are there.Some toms arent going to live,tiny roots.

The grey pipes are just plugs for the bulkhead fittings that didnt get used.

Beds are full cycle of 7 minutes fill,3 minutes drain,6 cycles per hour,goal is four,so we are just screaming along. VERY cool!

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:32:55 PM by spuds »

Offline SmokinKat

• The Rounds Farm
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2014, 11:34:46 AM »
Fascinating stuff Spuds!!  Thanks for keeping the updates coming!   (And that little raccoon at the end just cracked me up!!) 
MAK 2 Star #2639
MAK 1 Star # 819
Office/Sales associate at MAK Grills
http://theroundsfarm.blogspot.com/

Offline pz

« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2014, 11:39:49 AM »
Great progress, spuds!

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2014, 02:36:32 PM »
wow - I am really enjoying this thread!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #