Author Topic: ABC/Maverick Remote Thermometer  (Read 17072 times)

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
ABC/Maverick Remote Thermometer
« Reply #-1 on: June 13, 2018, 06:47:00 PM »
Just so happened one of my old 732s bit the dust, somehow the batteries got corroded in the sending unit.  So, I was starting to look at a replacement.  Honestly, I was looking at the Smoke from Thermoworks.  I'd seen the review from Dave at ABC and he had me sold on it.  But, d@mn if the day I was getting ready to order it, I get an email from Dave @ ABC advertising his new unit made in conjunction with Maverick.  It's a regular radio unit, not Bluetooth, but then I haven't Bluetoothed anything so that didn't bother me at all.  Plus, it was about $20 cheaper and has four probes.

It came in the mail today in the middle of my Pork Burnt Ends (PBE) cook, so I decided a quick little side by side comparison was in order.

It has a real heavy-duty feel to it, much more so that the 732 and it a bit larger.  It comes with two food probes and two grill probes.  But the grill probes, though shorter, are also pointed so I'm going to use them as food probes if needed.  The cables are a bit shorter than the Maverick ones (or at least the replacements that I've bought over the years) but I think they'll be fine.  The probes themselves are thinner as well.  The only problem this created was that the grill probe is not held firm in the holder that clamps into the grill grate, so be aware that it may fall out.

I didn't play wioth any of the alrms or setting, just a quick side-by-side challenge, here are the upper and lower grate temps on both:

Looks like a good deal so far, thanks Dave.

BD

The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: ABC/Maverick Remote Thermometer
« on: June 13, 2018, 09:01:58 PM »
I have the smoke and and a couple of 732's. Nothing wrong with any of them, except the range. So I also bit the bullet and purchased the new Maverick XR50. It is still in the box as I haven't cooked anything lately that would require temp monitoring. BUT, I will be testing it out shortly. What sold me on the XR50 was the 500 feet range compared to the others than usually max out at 300. I will see how well it performs.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2018, 01:38:24 PM »
This ABC unit is also supposed to have a 500' range.  That's not an issue for me since my grill is on the deck.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2018, 07:04:27 PM »
That looks like a worthy upgrade!    I know I've been extremely happy with our 8+ year old Maverick 732. 
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2018, 11:19:01 PM »
Where did you get that from buddy?
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2018, 02:16:42 PM »
Sorry, Sparky, must've missed this reply . . .

I got it from AdrenelinBBQ, the makers of the Slow n' Sear and Drip 'n Griddle.

They are currently out of stock because of an issue with short battery life and Dave is working on an upgraded product.  I've only used mine a handful of time, but I'm very happy with it.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 04:01:14 PM »
Thank you buddy.
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline Big Dawg

• The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 02:41:24 PM »
I just got my replacement unit.  Since I never really had any battery life problems with the first unit (I haven;t used it that many times yet.) I'll take one out to my parents' house so that I don't have try and remember to bring one when I cook over there.

Thanks, Dave ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 04:17:55 PM »
I just got my replacement unit.  Since I never really had any battery life problems with the first unit (I haven;t used it that many times yet.) I'll take one out to my parents' house so that I don't have try and remember to bring one when I cook over there.

Thanks, Dave ! ! !

BD

My replacement one will be here Thursday. I haven't had any problem with mine, but only used it once. Great customer service.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ClimberDave

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 12:26:40 PM »
Those look pretty nice!!

I have a Smoke and have been happy,  but on a few occasions I wished it could handle another probe, not a big deal,  i bought a few spares and will put them in the meat and have to switch them in the  Smoke  to get the different readings.

Started looking at the Fireboard   but its probably more  than I want to spend, and was kinda  Ircked when I saw I would have to pay an additional $55  for a case that  is waterproof and has a stand  etc... 

This new Mav  looks like just the ticket!!  At a great price!!
Kamado Joe III Big Joe
Weber 22" One-Touch kettle
Weber Smokey Joe Simpsons Edition
PBC
Slow and Sear
Generic gasser
Roccbox Pizza Oven
Anova One
Joule
Anova Nano

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 04:38:40 PM »
I am ready to buy a new thermometer because all my old ones including probes seem to keep failing.  What it the best remote thermometer that everyone on this site recommends.  I feel confident in any of the responses.

Offline sschorr

• San Clemente, CA
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 04:50:06 PM »
I understand about the cost, but hands down, the best remote I have ever used is the Fireboard.  6 ports, 6' length for ambient and food probes, Wifi with a great APP (both IoS and Android), or you can use a browser and internet connection, cloud-based tracking of your cooking sessions (no limit, configurable temp reading intervals, configurable labels for sessions and ports) - and very accurate (checked against Thermoworks instant read MK-4).

I also have the Thermoworks Signals, a good second place against the Fireboard.  However, once you cost it out, it is almost the same cost as the Fireboard.  Less versatile, can only save 10 sessions and that in csv format only, have to use their App (no browser capability), Bluetooth and Wifi (switches to Bluetooth automatically if Wifi gets disconnected), probe lengths are 4' (you can buy extenders), 4 ports that are easy to read on the Signals box.

I also had the XR-50, which is a great low cost remote.  Custom radio connection between base and remote reader (no Bluetooth or Wifi), but definitely better range than regular mavericks (they claim 500').  No capture of data, so no sessions or graphs or Apps.  I gave mine to a buddy whose iGrill died, otherwise no issues with it.

Hope that all helps.
Sam
MAK 2 Star #3634
Weber Summit E450
Blackstone 17" portable griddle