Author Topic: 11 foot 8 bridge shears off the A/C units of an RV  (Read 1223 times)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
11 foot 8 bridge shears off the A/C units of an RV
« Reply #-1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:13:49 PM »
This website 11foot8.com has several videos of high profile vehicles attempting to pass under this low bridge and didn't make it.  This one <a href="http://11foot8.com/11foot8-bridge-removes-ac-from-camper/">11 Foot 8 Bridge</a> is hilarious.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: 11 foot 8 bridge shears off the A/C units of an RV
« on: September 04, 2014, 05:16:14 PM »
YIKES!  ??? ???
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 05:56:24 PM »
I believe that low bridge is in Durham, NC.  I have seen the bridge, but not with any activity.  My son is a Durham Police Officer.  He avoids that area while he is on duty just so he doesn't have to deal with people who can't read.  It can be a traffic nightmare.

Art 
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 07:05:27 PM »
Oops!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 07:25:17 PM »
Well in his defense the trailer is just under 11 foot 8 inches. The A/C units however are just a bit higher :o
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 08:35:09 PM »
I believe that low bridge is in Durham, NC.  I have seen the bridge, but not with any activity.  My son is a Durham Police Officer.  He avoids that area while he is on duty just so he doesn't have to deal with people who can't read.  It can be a traffic nightmare.

Art

Yes it is, according the website that stores all these hilarious videos.  ;)
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 09:24:52 PM »
Here in Augusta we have a similar railroad overpass and have many of the same type of incidents since it has less than a ten foot clearance.  When a vehicle hits it closes down the RR while the repairs go on.

What amazes me is how simple it would be to fix.  You just  back off about 50 yards and put a cable inside a piece of PCV and stretch across the road at the overpass height.  Then, if someone hits the pipe they will know they can't make it. Seems to be a common sense solution to me.

I reckon when you go to work for the highway or transportation departments you learn only how to lean on a shovel handle when it's in the upright position. If someone ever invents a shovel that will lean on itself a half of the highway workers will be out of a job.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 10:02:06 PM »
Literacy is HIGHLY under-rated...
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
One video says it is the second crash in 2 days.The city really needs to get a clue and fix what is a crystal clear road hazard IMO.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 03:55:37 PM »
One video says it is the second crash in 2 days.The city really needs to get a clue and fix what is a crystal clear road hazard IMO.

I agree with fixing the problem, but then again we wouldn't have all these hilarious videos to watch. :P :P :P
----------------------

Offline deestafford

• Augusta, GA
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 04:00:42 PM »
The problem with railroad bridges such as this one is you can't raise the RR because of the tremendous expense in changing the grade over what would be a long distance in order for a train to negotiate a hill where the speed here is most likely fairly slow.

The other choice would be to lower the road bed which would make it a swimming pool when it rains and also would require extensive money to dig up the road for the distance required.

I guess it's just better to leave the video camera there and take pictures of candidates for gene pool elimination.

Dee
This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, misquotes, and lack a coherent theme.  These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the beauty of the post.

Five Burner Quantum IR Grill , TBE, SRG, 2 MES, 3 Bayou Cookers

Offline spuds

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »
Lower the road,and put in a drain,or raise the bridge.When someone is killed they will.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 03:46:07 PM »
Sorry, no sympathy for the RV drive here.  The bridge, apparently, is clearly marked.  What more can you really expect, the RV owner to know the clearance of his vehicle, no, no, no, that's just asking too much.

We have a similar looking railroad crossing in Charlotte, it's either on N. Tryon or N. Graham I think, just north of the downtown area.  Anytime we get more than an 1" or so of rain, it turns into a moat.  The only "cure" would be to close the road entirely.

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 11:52:18 AM »
They need to put up a screen on the side of the road as you approach the bridge that continuously plays the video of the RV A/C units being sheared off by the bridge :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2014, 01:32:10 PM »
They need to put up a screen on the side of the road as you approach the bridge that continuously plays the video of the RV A/C units being sheared off by the bridge :P
Seriously not a bad idea,or a 'chain' like thing above roadway to warn well in advance you wont clear bridge.Hit the barrier,crazy flashing lights are set off.I mean really,they can do SOMETHING to ameliorate the danger.

My take,I pay a lot in road tax,I expect road to accommodate vehicles using it.Out here they wont fix dangerous roads until someone is killed(and they pay huge damages to families),really,they admit thats the parameter.Happens on lots of stretches of 138 where thats exactly why they cleaned up bad stretches,Thats just wrong IMO.