Author Topic: Question about roast cuts  (Read 1663 times)

JimAbbottsRightHandMan

Question about roast cuts
« Reply #-1 on: November 28, 2014, 06:04:15 AM »
This might be a dumb question... Is there any advantage (or any point) to cooking a "roast" cut of beef in the BEESR instead of in a CrockPot/slow cooker?

I'm asking because it's fairly common that I get my hands on lots of free roasts. Sometimes they're ones with names I recognize like "chuck roast" or "rump roast." And sometimes they've had names that made me do a double-take, things like "arm roast" or "shoulder roast." I never pay too much attention to which specific kind of roast they are since I've always cooked them the same way, in my Crock Pot (or my generic off-brand slow cooker, since I guess Crock Pot is a brand name, not the name of that kind of appliance?).

And I've never been particularly unhappy with the way they turn out that way. But since I just got a BEESR, I'm wondering if I can make them turn out any better using that.

So, aside from using the "smoker" function to add smoky flavor, is there anything about the BEESR in particular (or infrared cooking in general) that would be an advantage over a basic CrockPot method of cooking roasts?

Or, even if they wouldn't be "better," per se, would they at least not be any worse or too much drier? Because even if it's not better, I wouldn't mind it just being a little different. I cook enough roasts that I'd appreciate some variety at this point, so long as I'm not sacrificing much quality for the sake of variety.

Also, just to explain the reference to getting free meat (lest anyone thinks I was saying I help myself to a five-finger discount, or something)...

I have a family member who, if I understand it right, buys whole cows every year and winds up with freezers full of beef. I guess local kids raise animals to auction off at a fair. And the oil industry folks have fun bidding each other up, so the kids get a nice chunk of money to go towards a car or college, and the buyers get a ton of meat. But I've only ever actually seen this family member cook and eat the rib-eye cuts, so the other cuts wind up mostly being given away throughout the year to make freezer space for the next year's haul. There's usually a ton of roasts left over after everyone in the family picks over the selection (things like steak go quickly, and then some people pass over roasts in favor of easier/quicker cooking choices like ground beef and stew meat)... so I'm happy to swoop in and scoop up some roasts now and then when no one else wants them.

Hey, I've gone back to school recently. I'm a poor college "kid" again -- I'm not too proud to supplement my grocery budget with an armful of free pot roasts when they're offered to me.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Question about roast cuts
« on: November 28, 2014, 08:40:08 AM »
When I cook "Chuck" roast  I do so for pulled beef sammies.   

If cooking for sliced beef sammies I will get "Sirloin" roast "Eye of Round" or even a "Tri Tip"  (if it can be called a roast)   cook till 145 plus or minus then slice real thin.   

One thing about infrared is you won't dry the meat like you will with convection heat

Not sure if this helps?
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 09:36:08 AM »
Those tougher cuts of meat have to be cooked low and slow.   Infrared is better than just convection, so keep that in mind since you have a BEESR.   Another trick is to marinate them before cooking--tons of marinades on the web if you don't already have a favorite or two.   A dry wine--either white or red--also seems to help in the marinating process, IMHO.    Just remember to cook all those cuts slowly.   And, the previous post is right--they work best when cooked to at least 200 degrees to pull.    Good luck.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 09:46:59 AM »
The difference I find with the BEESR vs Crock Pot is that the BEESR will cook low and slow to a desired IT (Internal Temperature) so it has the ability to cook meat rare, medium rare, medium...etc. A Crock Pot always cooks meat to the well done stage.  I wouldn't say there is any advantage of one method of cooking vs the other, it's personal choice.

I personally like my beef rare whenever possible, I know that can't be done with brisket.  Another method of low and slow cooking to keep the meat on the rare side is Sous Vide.  SV cooks like a Crock Pot, in fact the Dorkfood controller advertised on this site, uses a Crock Pot to cook in, and it will only cook the meat to the IT that you set it for.  This method will give you tender juicy meat at whatever doness that you desire.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

JimAbbottsRightHandMan

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 10:17:16 AM »
Those are helpful comments, guys. Thanks.

Like I said, I haven't even been particularly unhappy with my usual method of cooking roasts in the crock-pot. But I've had a roast thawing out and I just realized I was kinda bummed at the idea of cooking it indoors when I've got my new toy just waiting for me to go outside and play.

I think I'll experiment with ways of doing roasts in the BEESR with my next few roasts, and see how it goes.

JimAbbottsRightHandMan

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 05:56:46 AM »
Cooked a roast in the BEESR the other day. According to the packaging, it was an "Arm Roast."

I weighed it on my kitchen scale and it was 61.35 ounces (including the freezer/butcher paper it was wrapped in), so three-point-something pounds, I think. I'm not seriously going to do the math.

I wasn't quite sure how I should prepare it. I usually do roasts in the crock pot where it'll spend a lot of time cooking submerged in water, so I don't usually bother applying too much of anything directly to the meat. But since this bad boy wouldn't be submerged in water, I figured I oughtta do something I'd never do in the crockpot. So I made a truly odd mixture of mustard and Sriracha sauce, and I slathered that onto the roast. (I can't explain why. Sriracha and yellow mustard? Yeah, I know. Clearly, I don't know what I'm doing.)

Then massaged some salt and pepper into the meat, naturally.

So I started the roast in the preheated BEESR with the heat turned up to 15. After 25 minutes at 15, I lowered it from 15 to 10. I also cut up an onion and placed the slices on top of the roast at this point (figuring it'd drip some tasty moisture onto the meat).

After another 30 minutes, with the internal temperature reading up to almost 100, I lowered the heat from 10 to 7.

After another 2+ hours, the internal temperature reading was up to 139. I raised the heat from 7 to 8 at this point, just because the BEESR was now in the shade as the sun had moved substantially since the cook began. The BEESR felt a little too cool to the touch, making me worry the cooking temperature would be impacted if I didn't make up for the fact that it no longer had the sun beating down on it. (Have I mentioned that I don't really know what I'm doing?)

After another hour and a quarter, the internal temperature reading was at 150. Out of curiosity, I removed the BEESR's temperature probe and began checking the temperatures at different locations. The highest I found was 160, and the lowest was 145.

After another hour, I went outside with a different thermometer, not sure if I should trust the BEESR's temperature probe after it gave me multiple different temperatures the last time I checked. The meat was shrunken down pretty good, so it's not a huge piece, really, making me think the temperature shouldn't vary that much. And it was lying pretty flat, all on the same level (not like a turkey that is in a vertical upright position where I'd expect different areas to have different temperatures because of the high difference within the cooking chamber).

My other thermometer also found temperatures that were all over the map.

I tested 3 different locations. One was 170, one was 190, and one was 201. I was frustrated by the uneven temperatures, so I removed the roast at this point. My goal had been to get the temperature to 200-205. As much as I wanted to hold out for that 205 mark, I was afraid of badly overcooking parts of it in an attempt to raise the temperature of the cooler spots. So I pulled it out of the cooker.

It was in the BEESR for a total of 5 and a half hours.

I took it inside. Let it sit for a bit. Wrapped it in foil.

Out of curiosity, I placed the foil-wrapped roast on the kitchen scale and it was 38.7 ounces (including the foil, of course).

I stuck it in the fridge for about 12 hours, at which point it was thoroughly chilled. I cut it into slices. The slices look kind of cold and dry and unattractive, perhaps, but it tastes quite nice in my opinion. I've mostly been eating it with eggs, so I stick a few slices on the skillet to get the beef slices hot (and get the fat sizzling) before I scramble some eggs. After a couple minutes on the skillet, it's juicy enough and no less tasty than my CrockPot roasts.

So I'll call it a victory, even if I'm a little confused by the uneven temperatures.

[attachments deleted after 6 months]