Author Topic: Another first Thanksgiving Turkey post  (Read 5818 times)

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Another first Thanksgiving Turkey post
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2014, 03:09:04 AM »
i too am a first time turkey cooker on the SRG. got a lot of great tips right here...went with the two stick turkey recipe, and used the half racks on the lowest ring of the basket in lieu of a tommy ring. the 20 pound bird went in head first/legs up, and took right at 10 min/lb to cook. it cooked very evenly all the way through, I couldn't be more pleased with the results!
Ya did good..pretty bird.  Pam   .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline RAD

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2014, 06:15:04 AM »
Birds look great. I find that 16# is just about right for me when using TBE. Breast down and bird suspended using fryer hooks instead of the basket.
Love to cook and eat

Offline richvalle

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2014, 10:14:15 AM »
Birds look great. I find that 16# is just about right for me when using TBE. Breast down and bird suspended using fryer hooks instead of the basket.

Fryer hooks... hmmmm. Something else to look into.   :)

Thanks all.

rv

Offline aliengriller

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2014, 03:21:24 PM »
Another tip--I figure out the approximate cooking time, divide it by three and rotate the bird three times during the cook.   Seems to eliminate the problem with cooler spots.   Also raise the basket up with a Tommy Ring.  Helps a bunch!  Right, Tee?

Offline RAD

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2014, 06:18:28 PM »

Fryer hooks... hmmmm. Something else to look into.   :)

Thanks all.

rv

I use a crowbar to hold the bird but you could use just about anything.

Love to cook and eat

Offline richvalle

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 01:54:59 PM »
Another tip--I figure out the approximate cooking time, divide it by three and rotate the bird three times during the cook.   Seems to eliminate the problem with cooler spots.   Also raise the basket up with a Tommy Ring.  Helps a bunch!  Right, Tee?

Thanks. I did see this tip and rotated the bird 3 or so times as it cooked. Turns out I needed to rotated it top to bottom too.  :)

I think putting a shelf in would have been good enough to raise it up. I'll have to try again before next Thanksgiving.

rv

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »

Thanks. I did see this tip and rotated the bird 3 or so times as it cooked. Turns out I needed to rotated it top to bottom too.  :)

I think putting a shelf in would have been good enough to raise it up. I'll have to try again before next Thanksgiving.

rv

That will definetly do the trick.  What I did in my BEESR was I used the stand I have from my turkey oil frying pot to put the bird on.  Then I put that inside the BEESR basket with the half shelves mounted on the first ring above the bottom of the basket.  With the thickness of the base of the turkey stand and raising the bottom with the half shelves that brought it out of the dead zone.  I also placed the bird breast down with legs sticking up, this method produced the juiciest turkey I have ever done. 
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2014, 02:06:23 PM »

rv
Now remember, the more you cook with the SRG the better and more even it cooks.  Like a cast iron pan once seasoned it just  keeps  getting better.    Oil the chamber after every cook for the first few cooks. The chamber needs to be dark not  shiny.   This will help you more than you know   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline richvalle

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 11:09:37 AM »
Now remember, the more you cook with the SRG the better and more even it cooks.  Like a cast iron pan once seasoned it just  keeps  getting better.    Oil the chamber after every cook for the first few cooks. The chamber needs to be dark not  shiny.   This will help you more than you know

Yep, I've oiled it up before each time I've used it. Seems pretty dark if you look at the pictures though I'm sure it will get darker still. I'll keep oiling it for the next few times before using it and then drop to once every 3 or so times.