Author Topic: BEESR - Cold Weather Pork Butt - Timing Advice Needed  (Read 4305 times)

Offline MrCheck

• Plain English Cooking
BEESR - Cold Weather Pork Butt - Timing Advice Needed
« Reply #-1 on: January 29, 2015, 03:34:39 PM »
Hi all!

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how outside temperatures effect smoking a pork butt in the BEESR, specifically, how long it takes. 

I plan on bringing pulled pork to a super bowl party on Sunday.  But during my cooking time, the temperature is going to be between 25 and 37 degrees outside. 

I've seen some other sites that say temperature effects things less than wind does but don't know if that applies to the BEESR or not. 

I figured I'd come here and ask the experts.  :)  Anybody got any tips on cold weather smoking in the BEESR?

Thanks!

Check
Master Forge 5 Burner Gas Grill
Big Easy Electric Smoker & Roaster
<a href="http://plainenglishcooking.com">PlainEnglishCooking.com</a>

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: BEESR - Cold Weather Pork Butt - Timing Advice Needed
« on: January 29, 2015, 03:43:34 PM »
Wind affects any outdoor cook....A few kinds of cookers are less affected ( those that are insulated don't have nearly as much issue ) Temperature, to a lesser degree is also an influence - because it chills the exterior wall of an uninsulated cooker.

So, if you can place your BEESR out of the wind, or use something to provide a wind break - it will help significantly in you predictability of cook times.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 03:46:55 PM »
If it's windy time will be added, but if you can keep it out of the wind then you should be with-in an hour of reg time.  But remember a BUTT is a hunk of meat and it will decide when it's done, so if your worried about time start it an hour or so quicker than you were planning on, once done foil and wrap it then in a cooler. 

Stays hot for hours this way

If using the 15-10-8 method an 8 lb butt normally runs 7 hrs + or -  so give yourself time to do it 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 04:28:20 PM »
I have a BEESR and don't even notice any variation in cooking times in cold vs hot weather.  I would do what Tee and Tim recommend, shield it from any wind if there is any and start the cook earlier and FTC it until time to serve.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline MrCheck

• Plain English Cooking
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 04:37:16 PM »
I just knew it was a good idea to ask in here.  :)  Thanks a bunch for the great info, as usual.

Doesn't look like there's supposed to be much wind.  Snow on the other hand, that might happen.  I've used a patio umbrella before to do one in the rain.  Might end up having to try that for the snow. 

The other option is to do this on Saturday, then try and figure out a good way to re-heat it for the game.  Not sure if I want to risk that or not.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 04:54:06 PM »
I just knew it was a good idea to ask in here.  :)  Thanks a bunch for the great info, as usual.

Doesn't look like there's supposed to be much wind.  Snow on the other hand, that might happen.  I've used a patio umbrella before to do one in the rain.  Might end up having to try that for the snow. 

The other option is to do this on Saturday, then try and figure out a good way to re-heat it for the game.  Not sure if I want to risk that or not.

There are a couple of ways to reheat pulled pork and it will come out just as tender and juicy as the day it was cooked.

If you have a vacuum sealer, seal the pulled pork with some of its juices or some apple juice.  When time to reheat put the sealed bags in a pot of water and bring to a boil then turn off the heat, allow the pouches to sit in the heated water 10-15 minutes then serve.

Another way is to put the pulled pork in a roasting pan with its juices or apple juice, cover with foil and reheat in a 350F oven until heated all the way through.
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 05:18:53 PM »
LVC is correct.   Reheated can be just as good as same day cooked.    I reheat mine in a Crock-Pot on low for a few hrs and that never fails.   Vacuum seal if you can and apple juice is a must 
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline MrCheck

• Plain English Cooking
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 06:21:44 PM »
I may give that a shot depending on the weather report.  They tend to shift the closer you get to the actual day. 

Thanks again for the great info.

Offline MrCheck

• Plain English Cooking
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 01:55:38 PM »
Decided on the cook ahead of time and re-heat approach.  Just put it in the smoker a few minutes ago. 

The wind is blowing a bit so I've got my gas grill with the cover on it blocking the wind from the smoker.  I guess it's fitting that for Super Bowl weekend, my smoker needs a blocker.  We'll call it a team effort.  :)

Thanks again for the advice!

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 02:57:55 PM »
Decided on the cook ahead of time and re-heat approach.  Just put it in the smoker a few minutes ago. 

The wind is blowing a bit so I've got my gas grill with the cover on it blocking the wind from the smoker.  I guess it's fitting that for Super Bowl weekend, my smoker needs a blocker.  We'll call it a team effort.  :)

Good deal blocking the wind.   Once you pull it wrap with two sheets of foil and into a cooler for 2 to 3 hrs  then pull it apart and add some apple juice. Just use enough to keep it moist, you don't need to over do it
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2015, 01:41:44 AM »

Good idea...looking forward to seeing how it turned out. ;)
----------------------

Offline MrCheck

• Plain English Cooking
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2015, 02:16:20 PM »
Turned out great right after we pulled it.  We'll see how it warms up.  Didn't get any pics of it this time because we were in a time crunch with other things going on.  But I've got high hopes!  Looks like it's going to work out great.  Thanks again for the tips. 

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 03:35:30 PM »
Turned out great right after we pulled it.  We'll see how it warms up.  Didn't get any pics of it this time because we were in a time crunch with other things going on.  But I've got high hopes!  Looks like it's going to work out great.  Thanks again for the tips.

Sounds good, let us know how it turns out after the reheat.  ;)
----------------------

Offline MrCheck

• Plain English Cooking
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 10:14:06 AM »
Turned out amazing!  Was such a hit we had people going back for seconds and even had someone pack some up to take home.  :)

Thanks again for all the great advice I always get from here.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 11:53:32 AM »
Turned out amazing!  Was such a hit we had people going back for seconds and even had someone pack some up to take home.  :)

Thanks again for all the great advice I always get from here.
Good to hear!
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker