Author Topic: adjusting gas flow for lower and slower  (Read 984 times)

Offline tenorGJ

adjusting gas flow for lower and slower
« Reply #-1 on: July 01, 2015, 01:21:14 PM »
I was brainstorming last night about my upcoming port butt/rib roast this July 4th holiday. In order to run the SRG extra low and slow, have any of you fine folks lowered the gas to minimum and reduced the gas flow from the tank valve as well, to reduce another few degrees? I suspect the pellets won't smoke below a certain temp, but my goal would be to run the SRG lower and longer. Peeking in through the holes, maybe I could reduce the flame to 50% and check temps?

Anyone tried the same?  Unfortunately I only have one shot at this, so there's no room for error. It'd run it at MAX to get the bark and smoke, and then lower it to bare minimum. FTC, etc. from then on.

Thoughts?

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: adjusting gas flow for lower and slower
« on: July 01, 2015, 01:50:07 PM »
I was brainstorming last night about my upcoming port butt/rib roast this July 4th holiday. In order to run the SRG extra low and slow, have any of you fine folks lowered the gas to minimum and reduced the gas flow from the tank valve as well, to reduce another few degrees? I suspect the pellets won't smoke below a certain temp, but my goal would be to run the SRG lower and longer. Peeking in through the holes, maybe I could reduce the flame to 50% and check temps?

Anyone tried the same?  Unfortunately I only have one shot at this, so there's no room for error. It'd run it at MAX to get the bark and smoke, and then lower it to bare minimum. FTC, etc. from then on.

Thoughts?
Don't do it, this has been done before by myself and others and most of the time the SRG flames out.  Just set the temp knob on low and cook away. The butt will be great and if you need to add pellets start the unit on high then go to low about 15mins or when the pellets start to smoke. 

Messing with the fuel flow can be a bad thing. Folks have even tried adjustable gas regulators but the flame just goes out when to low   
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline tenorGJ

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 02:23:25 PM »
Thanks as always, TMB

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 03:02:30 PM »