Author Topic: Smoke in SRG...  (Read 716 times)

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
Smoke in SRG...
« Reply #-1 on: December 30, 2015, 02:47:41 PM »
 I made this a new topic as not to steal the one already running...
 I'll have to take some pics later but Tommy gave me a pellet ring proto type for my SRG last time I saw him. I have finally figured out how to get it to produce smoke really well now.
 So first off I stopped using the smoke box on the side. It never stayed in place well, never smoked well and is basically worthless in my humble opinion.  I have seen some good ideas lately on improving it but I think its too late for me on that.
 Now, At first I couldn't get the ring to stay lit very well. Not enough air using a Tommy ring and I didn't think of drilling holes in one for some reason. Then I saw an old veggie basket sitting around. One with holes all around it. I placed it in like a Tommy ring. Set the pellet ring on top. This did much better but I still had a little issue with it staying lit.
 So at Christmas for work I accidentally found the solution. As some of you know I run a high pressure adjustable regulator.  Normally it is set around 10-15 PSI on the SRG.
But I cranked it up some with the pellet ring in place. Soon there was smoke pouring out and the SRG was 450 at the top of the lid. (I have a thermometer mounted there) .
 I turned off the fire and put the turkey in, After about 30 minutes the temp had dropped to point point I re-lit the unit and ran it very low. I ended up getting almost  2 hours of smoke this way. I turned the heat up a bit and finished the bird off. This was the best bird so far from the SRG.
  Since someone will bring it up anyway... I do not recommend modifying your Grill from the factory design.  What I have done to mine is my own decision and liability.   
You seriously need to understand gas flow before you change regulators...especially to a high output model.   or do anything else to the unit for that matter.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"