Author Topic: Brats aren't for me  (Read 1454 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Brats aren't for me
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2018, 07:24:30 PM »
Ah, Luckily I'll be in Mobile on my way back to New Orleans from Savannah on Tuesday and I've got a large empty space waiting in my suitcase.

If your in Mobile drive about an hour North and visit the Conecuh Sausage factory in Evergreen Al.  Nice gift shop with special gift packages of all things sausage as well as other smoked proteins.

https://www.conecuhsausage.com/default.aspx
Yes it is! And ...they will even sell you a Pelican brand cooler ( BETTER than Yeti...) - which will survive the rigors of air travel - and after it's use to transport that heavenly Conecuh to your Tiki Hut....it will provide you a location to keep your powder dry...... ;) 8) ;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2018, 10:26:25 PM »
So we made the stop, tasted the samples, bought the t-shirt. Then went to Costco to buy two 4-lb packages of Original. I'm set for a while (as long as I don't tell anyone I have Conecuh sausage in my freezer).

OBTW, had oysters at Wintzell's, dinner at Felix's Fish Camp. Both excellent.

Just got home - saw the plume from the volcano as we flew by the Big Island. I never could figure out why folks built homes in Pahoa but they probably can't figure out why I live on Oahu.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline cookiecdcmk

• Always looking for new ways to improve my food.
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 06:14:22 PM »
I finally found some Conecuh Hickory Smoked Original in my supermarket and had to try it after all the good reviews.  It was thinner than I like which others have said, and the flavor is very good.  I thought that it was kinda spicy which is OK with me but not other family members.  I would have expected this amount of heat in the Cajun type.  Can I expect some heat in the original, or may I have gotten a mismarked package?

Offline tlg4942

• "Way down in Alabama"
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 09:36:55 PM »
 Ka Honu
 Sorry I missed you! Timing was not good ...

Sometimes the hickory gets a little spicy but it has a better flavor. The Cajun is my least favorite which is odd.
The original is less spicy but basically the difference is the hickory smoked just lost some weight
in the process.
  We are very use to spicey down here along the coast and many times when people say
something is spicy I haven’t noticed. I have to be careful with shrimp and crawfish boils ...
 The corn and mushrooms in the boil gets firery pretty quick in those boils.
Terry "Way down in Alabama"