Author Topic: Ruin Thanksgiving ?  (Read 8397 times)

Offline rmalik1

Ruin Thanksgiving ?
« Reply #-1 on: October 24, 2020, 01:49:25 PM »
Afraid to ruin Thanksgiving turkey! I've been having mixed results with poultry. I have a good temperature probe but uneven cooked bird. I have been using beer can cooker without the can, just so the blood runs out. Any ideas? Chickens came out better when I  first tried and chicken weren't cooked upright

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Ruin Thanksgiving ?
« on: October 24, 2020, 02:49:53 PM »
Working right now. But will get back to you tonight on what to do
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 08:21:18 PM »
OK, here is how to do yardbird or a turkey and make it work.   

If you have a turkey fryer holder use it instead of the basket.   Next wash your bird and towel dry well leave no moister on skin.

Next if your going to inject it do it after you dry the skin, next rub the outside with a good oil one that won't burn easy and season.

Insert your thermometer probe in the center of the breast (thickest part)

Next place the bird in to keep the bird halfway up the chamber and set the setting on HIGH and close the lid.   Depending on weight it should take about 10-12 mins per pound BUT if you live where it gets cold and windy you can add 1 to 3 mins per pound.

Now once the IT hits 160 to 165 turn off the SRG and open lid and let the bird rest in the chamber don't remove it to soon.  This will help crisp the skin..   

Give this way a try with a large chicken and see if it helps you
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline rmalik1

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 11:43:45 AM »

If you have a turkey fryer holder use it instead of the basket.   Next wash your bird and towel dry well leave no moister on skin.

Next if your going to inject it do it after you dry the skin, next rub the outside with a good oil one that won't burn easy and season.

Next place the bird in to keep the bird halfway up the chamber and set the setting on HIGH and close the lid.   Depending on weight it should take about 10-12 mins per pound BUT if you live where it gets cold and windy you can add 1 to 3 mins per pound.

Now once the IT hits 160 to 165 turn off the SRG and open lid and let the bird rest in the chamber don't remove it to soon.  This will help crisp the skin..   

I've just a small bird(14lbs), which way would you put the bird vertical or horizontal and if vertical - wings up. I have done with wings up but bottom (thighs drumsticks) were under cooked.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 12:02:08 PM »

I've just a small bird(14lbs), which way would you put the bird vertical or horizontal and if vertical - wings up. I have done with wings up but bottom (thighs drumsticks) were under cooked.
Believe it or not wings up or down works..   I go vertical with a oil fryer stand.      Try it but make sure the bird is up off the bottom so your in the hottest part of the chamber (upper half)   you can use a rod across the SRG to hold the oil fryer up in the chamber if need be
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline rmalik1

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 02:13:26 PM »

Test run for Turkey day. Have 6.5 pound chicken,washed,dried, oiled,seasoned on beer can chicken rack and going to be in upper part of basket. Temp prob set for 165 degrees and figuring about 78 minutes of cook time

Believe it or not wings up or down works..   I go vertical with a oil fryer stand.      Try it but make sure the bird is up off the bottom so your in the hottest part of the chamber (upper half)   you can use a rod across the SRG to hold the oil fryer up in the chamber if need be

Offline rmalik1

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 02:17:39 PM »
Test run for Turkey day. Have 6.5 pound chicken washed, dried, oiled and seasoned. Sitting upright on beer can chicken rack , have temp prob set at 165 degrees in breast. Chicken will be placed upper part of basket and a figured it should take about 78 minutes.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 02:36:08 PM »
Test run for Turkey day. Have 6.5 pound chicken washed, dried, oiled and seasoned. Sitting upright on beer can chicken rack , have temp prob set at 165 degrees in breast. Chicken will be placed upper part of basket and a figured it should take about 78 minutes.
Sounds great!  Now if it's not windy and cold it may be closer to 50  to 55 mins so keep and eye on IT

Good luck let us know
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline rmalik1

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 03:29:35 PM »
Sounds great!  Now if it's not windy and cold it may be closer to 50  to 55 mins so keep and eye on IT

Good luck let us know

with timer reading 30 mins left and prob reading 136 degrees I came in to do some other prep, Went outside to look at chicken with 5 mins on clock, prob showed I over cooked it - hour to get to 136 degrees and 15 mins to get to 200 degrees. wife can't say it's under cooked again LOL.

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 03:42:05 PM »

Good luck let us know

with timer reading 30 mins left and prob reading 136 degrees I came in to do some other prep, Went outside to look at chicken with 5 mins on clock, prob showed I over cooked it - hour to get to 136 degrees and 15 mins to get to 200 degrees. wife can't say it's under cooked again LOL.
You really have to keep and eye on it for sure.  50 mins I post was a guess not knowing the weather   Reason I said to keep an eye on IT    at least you have an idea so try again and when the IT hit 135 or so stay there it wont take long
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 02:11:18 PM »
Dumb question, did you even cut into it??
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker

Offline rmalik1

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2020, 02:58:23 PM »

Good luck let us know

You really have to keep and eye on it for sure.  50 mins I post was a guess not knowing the weather   Reason I said to keep an eye on IT    at least you have an idea so try again and when the IT hit 135 or so stay there it wont take long

Dark meat was great, white not so much-wife like the breast more. Nothing has been ruined so no big deal, as I get this zoned in. I just bought a Char-Broil collapsible basket for the SRG. May make access to food easier.