Author Topic: Wok on SRG  (Read 1404 times)

Offline dms269

Wok on SRG
« Reply #-1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
Does anyone have an experience using a wok on the SRG? I know some people have in the past and was wondering if there was a size that would work best. I have no problem buying a separate one for use only with the SRG (and buying a 14 inch one with a flat bottom for the stove). I know that cast iron heats up well, but that carbon steel is more of a traditional wok and should work just fine.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
Re: Wok on SRG
« on: March 26, 2014, 04:53:34 PM »
Hi DMS..I have a cast iron with an heat ring on the bottom, as long as you don't cover the holes on the top it will work fine. I have a tbe and srg and not a problem. Mine is a mr bbq wok. I have used in on a gas stove, open fire, tbe & srg. The carbon steel will work well too. Click on pic to enlarge. Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:56:23 PM by Pam Gould »
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline dms269

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:57:38 PM »
Do you happen to know the size?

That is the kicker for me is how large does it need to be.

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:01:13 PM »
just measure the inside dimension of the walls of the srg..I think it's about 15", the srg is bigger than tbe. The wok curves up so it doesn't cover the holes on the top of the srg, there are 4 holes. and get whatever fits. It needs the air to not be trapped in the cooker. Let us know what ya find. You could even put a grate across the top of the srg and set wok on top of that if your worried about airflow. Pam    .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 05:03:26 PM by Pam Gould »
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 09:12:39 PM »
This is a great idea, I'm going to have to see if my wok fits my SRG now, I love woking but it's no fun on a glass topped stove so I don't do it often.

Offline dms269

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 06:14:34 PM »
I finally got around to getting a wok (took a trip to a more authentic Asian market around Atlanta).

The largest size they had was a 16" one. I was going to season it in the oven but the wife didn't like the smell of it seasoning so I took it outside to finish the job.

It was already getting a nice color so I added some more oil and finished seasoning it with some green onions and ginger.

I was going to stir fry tonight but it has rained all day so it will be pushed back until Tuesday.

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 06:20:57 PM »
I like using a wok on the SRG. Mine is a cast iron wok - http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=5692.msg70999#msg70999 - It gets real hot which is important for good wokking...  ;)

This link takes you to the end of the thread, scroll up a bit for pictures.
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Saber 4

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 09:03:55 AM »
Those are both nice Wok setups, mine is a little to small to fit on the SRG so I'm going to have to get another wok down the road.

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 09:14:26 AM »
Nice setup for a wok!!! Looks like you have a good seasoning on it! Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 09:14:37 AM »
So if I get a wok for my Big Easy I should buy one that is 2 inches larger in diameter then the chamber opening?
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline dms269

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 09:44:43 AM »
So if I get a wok for my Big Easy I should buy one that is 2 inches larger in diameter then the chamber opening?

That's what I did. I had measured it before we went to the store and took the measuring tape with us. It said on the wok that it was a 16" wok (the rest were, at largest 14"). My wife said she saw an Asian man tugging it and twisting it and ended up leaving with it, so she figured it would be good enough. It was fairly inexpensive too, less than $25 I believe.

I will take a picture of how high it comes off the top of the srg tomorrow when I actually try stir fry on it.

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 09:48:55 AM »

At least. This is a case where bigger IS better, I think. My experience with a wok (and a disc) is that it offers several different heat zones. From screaming hot at the bottom to progressively cooler up the sides. This lets you move the food away from the heat as you add new ingredients to the bottom when stir frying. So a larger wok or disc simply provides more flexibility.

Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline drholly

• Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 02:04:44 PM »
here's a 17"in paella pan on a SRG

Now you've done it... paella this weekend!  :P
Member #