Author Topic: SRG Tommy mods  (Read 1000 times)

Offline jjjonz

SRG Tommy mods
« Reply #-1 on: June 30, 2014, 05:58:44 PM »
I posted this for the new SRG owners.....

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?action=post;msg=134363;topic=1031.15

Tommy I want to do the air jet mod.....Do I need to seal the side vents and cut a vent in the top for the air vent mod to work ? I just can't seem to get the pellets to burn good in the bottom. They burn pretty good in the side pellet holder....just don't seem to burn very long.

I have cut my basket and got the racks ....man that sure makes it to load and unload the basket.
This fall when the wind picks back up I am planning a "Tommy skirt" mod.
I have a cast iron griddle that works great.
I have the Walmart paper towel rack for standing whole chickens and turkeys....works great.
The stainless steel Tommy ring works great.
This is a great cooker for hot sticky summer weather in the south.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:00:47 PM by teesquare »
Weber Smokey Joe gold...mini WSM
2002 Weber Genesis Silver [rebuilt]
PBC
Camp Chef smokin pro Stx
Thermopen [fast British racing green]

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: SRG Tommy mods
« on: June 30, 2014, 08:03:56 PM »
For those that have seen the mods I have made let me say they are worth trying "IF" you feel the SRG does not cook like you want it.  I believe you need to try the SRG as it comes from the factory first and use it many times then if you need it to do something better then make the changes.

Parts for these units are not cheap and cutting one up does not always work, so think before you cut or mod one of these units up and if you need help there are lots of folks here including myself that will help ya'
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline airberryblue

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 08:45:20 PM »
Tommy, I have seen your mods on here and I am wondering if you were to recomend on what changes you did that made the biggest improvement and you would do again seeing the results?  Now that I have a spare top lid, I am thinking about taking the original one which had the chipped coating from the factory and doing the  mod with the hole on the top like you did and then add the Smoke Daddy from the bottom.  Plus the air nozzle fittings for airflow.  I like the idea of lowering the heat level for a slower cook, and worst case on the top I have the replacement lid to return to a factory design.  I have the side box for the smoke pellets, but plan to try the tommy ring before doing the Smoke Daddy.

Shawn

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 09:00:12 PM »
Tommy, I have seen your mods on here and I am wondering if you were to recomend on what changes you did that made the biggest improvement and you would do again seeing the results?  Now that I have a spare top lid, I am thinking about taking the original one which had the chipped coating from the factory and doing the  mod with the hole on the top like you did and then add the Smoke Daddy from the bottom.  Plus the air nozzle fittings for airflow.  I like the idea of lowering the heat level for a slower cook, and worst case on the top I have the replacement lid to return to a factory design.  I have the side box for the smoke pellets, but plan to try the tommy ring before doing the Smoke Daddy.

Shawn
Four air jets with the 4 in hole and block off the side vents was the biggest and best mod.  That one I'm carrying over to my BEESR's in a few weeks once I get time to play
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION