Author Topic: My Thermapen Died And Is Reborn  (Read 12587 times)

Offline Hub

My Thermapen Died And Is Reborn
« Reply #-1 on: July 01, 2019, 12:42:06 PM »
HATS OFF TO THE GOOD FOLKS AT THERMOWORKS FOR A JOB WELL DONE AND A PRODUCT WORTH HAVING

Not too long ago I was contentedly causing some meat to be transformed into manna when it became time to check the level of inner temperature and assess the critical level of doneness as I am oft accustomed to do.  So, I pulled out my trusty British Racing Green Thermapen and pried open the probe in preparation to stick the chunk of critter and find out its true state.

No joy.  Not even a slight twinkle or warning on the little screen.  Dead.

Now, there are cooks who can and do succeed beyond all belief at creating great grub using only time and maybe a toothpick to gauge the unseen insides of things, but I'm not one of them.  I need to know where I stand, quickly, and by more than look and smell.  Panic, paranoia, and a terrible and overwhelming fear of the unknown set in at once.  I was digitally disadvantaged and felt like a teenager without a cell phone.  Can anything be more pitiful than being suddenly bereft of a technological crutch without which one cannot participate in life as we know it?  I can easily live without a cell phone but life without an instant-reading digital thermometer is something I will not tolerate.

In the depths of my depression and anxiety I made the only logical decision my feeble brain could handle and hied myself to the nearest hardware store for new batteries. 

No joy.  Not even a slight twinkle or warning on the little screen.  Dead.

This little implement on which I had so long relied for its uncanny truthfulness in temperature had breathed its last.  Was this to be the end of acceptable outdoor cooked meat for my family, friends, and some frightfully undependable barbecue judges?  Could have been, I'm certain, except something stuck in the back of my brain that Thermapens, unlike almost everything else we purchase nowadays, are not disposable.  Somewhere, I'd seen something about their potential resurrection in lieu of tainting the trash with their discarded carcasses. 

With hope in my heart I dashed off an e-mail to Thermoworks inquiring of the salvation methodology and its driving requirements and cost.  Ten minutes later . . .

Joy!  I have a case number and instructions on where to send the body.  I do a little business at the Post Office for a mailing bag and off it goes.

Joy!  Two days later I have an e-mail with bad news and good news.  The good news far outweighs the bad and that's why I still started this line with the word "joy" instead of something snarky.  The good news is that they'll fix it for thirty bucks -- about one third the cost of a new one -- and my local landfill will not be tainted by the non-organic guts of the thing.  The "bad" news is they will have to destroy the case and I must screw up my creative juices and pick a new color because British Racing Green has been relegated to the scrap heap of infamy where "unpopular" shades reside following sales department decisions.  I bravely choose Red and say a quick prayer for the someday ultimate return of British Racing Green -- a fast color if there ever was one.

Joy!  A few days later and I am reunited with delightful digital functionality of the dutiful little device and once again I am empowered to transform the groceries without undue unknowns.  The red is sort of cherry.  The display quickly cracks into life.  British Racing Green would have been a nanosecond faster, though.  My cross to bear.

Through all this suffering and tribulation, all this work and worry, all this heartbreak and misery -- the folks at Thermoworks were wonderful!  When I e-mailed, they answered promptly and personally and with a name, not just the facts and numbers.  When I called they answered their own phone!  No call center in Bangladesh staffed by robots all named "James". 

Seriously, there are a lot of companies that don't give a hoot about their old out-of-warranty stuff you bought years ago and that would just tell you to order a new one  but this isn't a story about one of those.  I don't expect to need any service on my newly refurbished red Thermapen for a long time and maybe never but if I ever do I'm gonna send them an e-mail (and see if British Racing Green has made a comeback while I'm at it).

Hub

Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: My Thermapen Died And Is Reborn
« on: July 01, 2019, 02:16:44 PM »
Great to hear!   Mine (RED) has been going good for a long time but every now and then it wants to act like a child and get stupid!     About the time I see fit to return it for repair it starts doing it's thing!  I guess i'll just keep on keeping on till it dies for good then have it repaired
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline Roget

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2019, 03:09:09 PM »
They are truly a great company to do business with.

About three years ago I purchased one of their timers.  After much use the battery died. I replaced the battery and continued using it.
After the battery died a second time I honestly believed it was going through batteries too quickly, so I called & simply asked what I should reasonably expect from it. As we talked about cause & effect concerning short battery life, I let the CSR know that I was not unhappy with the product. I was just curious how my experience compared to what they would expect.
After a pleasant conversation we ended the call and both got back to our respective obligations.

Three days later I received an unexpected package via UPS. Upon opening I found it contained a brand new timer along with a note stating the hope that I would get better battery life from the enclosed timer and asking me to be sure to let them know if I had any problem with it (& of course a little package of Jelly bellys).

YCDBSOYA

GMG Davy Crockett
GMG Jim Bowie
Charbroil SRG
Charbroil BigEasy
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone Flat Top X 2 (36" & 28")
DBS w/Auberins dual probe PID
Anova Precision Sous Vide Cooker
Grand Hall 3 burner Grill w/rotisserie,smoke tray, & side burner

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 04:23:12 PM »
I had the same deal almost.$25.00 and picked a new color , they no longer make the pink...so I went with red..I think I didn't get it closed all the way shut one time..but I have it now...☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline rwalters

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 04:28:49 PM »
Great story! Thanks for sharing :)
MAK 2 Star #3236, Weber 26.75" kettle, 36" Blackstone griddle, 17" Blackstone griddle.

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat animals that are... :-)

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 05:53:41 PM »
My super fast Tennessee Orange Thermapen took a nose dive recently.  Thankfully, a new set of batteries solved my problem.  I would be lost without this tool in my cooking.  I use it quite often.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2019, 07:45:53 PM »
I'm pleased that many of you are FINALLY making the correct color decision on new/replacement Thermapens. Anyone who ever owned an old MG knows that, while certainly attractive, BRG is not a color for speed.

I know the science is tough to get through (so I won't insist you read it) but it's there - RED is (and always has been) the fastest color. Only RED can maintain its blazing speed even with a duct tape wrap holding the battery compartment together. It's just the way things are. Get used to it.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline Pappymn

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 06:46:55 PM »
Hub, I had the same experience as you. Totally out of warranty and they took immediate care of me. That is why I preach the gospel of Thermoworks to anybody in the market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Tailgating is my game

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 09:09:58 PM »
Great to hear!   Mine (RED) has been going good for a long time but every now and then it wants to act like a child and get stupid!     About the time I see fit to return it for repair it starts doing it's thing!  I guess i'll just keep on keeping on till it dies for good then have it repaired

My unit does the same Tommy.....I just talk nice  to it & it come back to life lol
Big Easy IR fryer
Margaritaville Tailgating Grill. (Jets)
Char-Broil Grill2Go X200
Pizza Pronto Gas Pizza oven & WOK
Coleman Portable Propane Fryer
Sears 4 burner gas G

Weber 22 inch Chal
Uniflame Little Char
Sizzle-Q griddle
Gasone butane
Magma 15 boat gas grill