Author Topic: Opinions on glass dish in PBC  (Read 4882 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Opinions on glass dish in PBC
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2015, 01:01:35 PM »
I just read the article. GE will be asking $149 for it and it will be controllable via a phone app. Apparently that's cheaper than most. I guess I have some research to do.

It is not a stand alone unit. It works with their very expensive induction cooktop but still a cool idea regardless.

Sous Vide cooking is nothing new to the restaraunt world. They have been using this cooking method for a long time. It has recently gained traction in the home use market. Units used to cost thousands of dollars but now you can get a Dorkfood DSV for $99 that will work with a cheap crock pot, fryer, roaster etc that you probably already own.

Sous Vide cooking is cooking in a water bath at very precise temperatures under long periods with food in a vacuum bag. You are basically cooking to whatever doneness level you like.

The food comes out tasting great but not looking good. So a surface sear to finish makes it pleasing to the eyes. Many restaraunts incorporate a torch to give the food a finished look.

I started SV cooking around 2 years ago and have not looked back with any regret.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2015, 01:07:31 PM »
*Definitely* not trying to argue with you guys, you have more experience than I do with it for sure, but I just went back and watched the video. He specifically says pour the chimney in after its lit for 15 min, put the rods in, hang the food, put on the lid and go. That's how I've done it almost every time and it's worked perfectly and no weird smoke or anything. The times I haven't done it that way I was trying to use less coals for the light and it resulted in me having trouble getting up to temperature for the first 20 minutes or so and I needed to crack the lid to get it going well around 270. Like I said not tying to argue. But I'm pretty sure that lit is lit, 15 minutes either way using fluid or using the chimney. I'm *pretty* sure you don't want the basket all the way lit either because you want them to light up gradually to extend the cook.
*shrug*  works for me, so... :)   Nothing is written in stone I guess. I may have to Change my technique when it's not 9,000 below zero out.

Don't think your arguing at all. Your following Noah's advice and it will not steer you wrong. Noah's advice is straight forward and great for the standard PBC user. It will get you consistent results each and everytime.

Bigg has left the circle of conformity with the PBC and had amazing results. He is able to get crispy chicken skin from the PBC without removing the lid. I have learned quite a bit from him in the time he has been a member. Just saying don't write him off. When he speaks I listen ;)

Once you get some PBC cooks under your belt you might want to try new things and experiment.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2015, 01:51:35 PM »
Awesome. So what's the secret to crispy chicken skin with the lid on?
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2015, 04:34:47 PM »
Awesome. So what's the secret to crispy chicken skin with the lid on?

Dry brine and air dry the skin. Have higher temps in the PBC
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2015, 05:05:45 PM »
Hahaha! Paul, we're all mature on this site, well most except Muebe and Pappy, they won't eat peas.
But you're not arguing at all. We're here to share ideas. The way I see Noah's videos is like driving to a new destination with the GPS. After that first trip you'll want to find other of getting there  without the GPS. You just can't rely on the GPS all the time. 
If I relied on Noah's videos I'd still be cooking chickens for 2 hours. No can't do LOL.
Don't be afraid to experiment, it's your PBC now, you took off Noah's hands.

KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2015, 06:09:16 PM »
Ha! Well it works for me and I feel real nice and comfy running about 270 consistent, which still feels so high to me coming from a 225° low and slow religion.
So hiw high do you run for chicken and how long is it taking you?
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2015, 07:34:50 PM »
350 - 400 using Ozark Oak lump charcoal. Depending on bird size 45 to 60 minutes.

Initial temp here was about 450 before hanging the bird

Now we cooking

KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2015, 05:35:00 PM »
Dang Id be scared about burning it running that hot. No issues?
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2015, 09:49:20 PM »

Nope, not one bit.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2015, 06:49:40 AM »

The moist environment is the key. Things don't dry out. The chicken has enough moisture in it to create a very humid cooking chamber.

And you can bake chicken at 375F in your home oven also so how us that much different as far as cooking temp?
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline Paul Hart

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2015, 11:14:26 AM »
Charcoal heat is hotter than electric heat. Just like the rain in Ky is wetter than the rain in Fla.  ;)
PBC
Weber Performer
Smokenator
Blow torch

Offline djm3801

• Food is love.
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2015, 01:38:53 PM »
I get where you are coming from, Paul, and that is to follow the videos on PBC site. I did that and got GREAT results from a taste perspective but the ribs - 3 hours at 285 - were a bit "fatty" and the chicken - 2 hours at 285 -  skin was not crisp. Taste was off the charts good.

That said, I have only one cook but what I will do next time is to leave the lid OFF till the coals are uniformly lit. Last cook, I dumped on the coals, put on the lid, waited 20 mins, hung the meat. I think had I left the lid off the coals would have lit more uniformly and I would have had more crisp skin on the chicken.

I will continue to play with this and I REALLY like the taste.

Food - It's all good.

Char Broil 4 burner RED
Big Easy
Masterbuilt 40" ss electric smoker
WSM 18"
Large Big Green Egg
Roundboy wood burning pizza oven
Master Grill 3 burner
18" Old Smokey
Chef's Choice 610 slicer - Great tool
New Pit Barrel Cooker (PCB)
Retired Char Broil smoker (RIP old friend)

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2015, 02:07:45 PM »
Charcoal heat is hotter than electric heat. Just like the rain in Ky is wetter than the rain in Fla.  ;)

LOL!! Wetter
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum