Author Topic: Converting recipes for traditional smokers  (Read 4529 times)

Offline Timbo

Converting recipes for traditional smokers
« Reply #-1 on: April 26, 2019, 10:16:01 AM »
I've had my PBC for a little over a week now and I love it!

I'm coming across several recipes that are meant for "traditional low-and-slow smokers. Most of these are where smoking the meat is only one stage of the cooking process. For example, this recipe for a pellet smoker
  has you smoke a chuck roast for 4-5 hours at 250 and then cut the roast up before smoking some more.

Is there any rule of thumb for how to convert recipes like this that are meant for lower temps than the PBC usually runs?
Weber Spirit E-310 | Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

Offline Salmonsmoker

Re: Converting recipes for traditional smokers
« on: April 26, 2019, 01:09:52 PM »
I have a drum smoker/cooker and it will run at 250F, although it loves to run at 275F, which is the temperature that I do most of my cooks at except for reverse sear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline gigama

« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
Just be sure and use a really good wireless bluetooth type thermometer and cook to the temp you need for a given cut.  Everything is based on internal temp, don't worry about the time. Brisket, for example, is hang/smoke it to 160, pull it and wrap in foil with some beer, broth or other liquid.  Wrap it tight and let it go on the PBC grill rack to about 203 (other people have a lot of good PBC tips, this one has worked out great for me).  Keep brisket in the foil, and wrap in towels and put in a cooler for several hours (I go for 3 when I can).  The PBC cooks much much faster than a traditional smoker, and you will love the results. I think my last one was on the PBC for 4 1/2 hours or so, then 3 in the cooler.

Ribs for example are only 2-3 hours.

The PBC is an awesome smoker and there is a lot of great info on this site from other members.  There are tons of videos all over youtube with tips and tricks.  The PBC website has some great stuff as well. 

Don't worry about the cook time, enjoy your PBC.  I love mine. 

Offline Kona

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 06:40:22 PM »
No need to convert based on a recipe suggested temp. Trust the barrel to do what it does and cook to food temp. I've seen many do the poor mans burnt ends on the PBC. Get yourself a good meat thermometer if you don't already have one. I've used my PBC for a long time and have not been disappointed
Gordon
Boynton Beach, FL
PBC

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 03:26:51 PM »
Yup, meat don't know what the cooking temp is. Just plan your time accordingly and watch the internal temps.
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 01:44:48 PM »
Good advice here already about working to temperature instead of time.  The "sweet spot" of the PBC will maintain an ambient temp of 300 to 325 for a lot of the cook so most of the standard "smoking times" we all learned and use for our smokers that work in the low 200's will be shorter on the PBC.  Just how much?  Well, the thermometer knows best  :).

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN