Author Topic: Cleaning  (Read 842 times)

Offline Ken H

Cleaning
« Reply #-1 on: April 26, 2014, 06:37:01 PM »
I've had my PBC for about a month now and I love it. The weather here in southern Maine hasn't been very cooperative this spring, but I've still managed to do chickens (love 'em!), ribs (twice) and a turkey as well as some wings. My questions concerns cleaning the pit barrel. I always put down aluminum foil to cover the bottom, making sure the vent is not blocked. This makes emptying the ashes quick and easy. But, I'm finding that there is a greasy sludge under the foil. The bottom of the foil is covered with gunk and the bottom of the barrel is getting a little build up. I don't understand what is causing this. Too much humidity (moisture) getting between the foil and the bottom? Would I be better off not putting foil down? I've never noticed anything like this when dumping ashes from my charcoal grills. I'm also not sure how best to clean up the gunk that is starting to accumulate. Any thoughts? Is anyone else noticing this with their cooker?

Ken

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
Re: Cleaning
« on: April 26, 2014, 06:39:47 PM »
Hi Ken,

I am sorry, I can't help you with this. The foil works for me. My only problem is when the foil rips and I have to dump ashes... :) But, so far (about a year) I haven't had that issue and love my PBC. You might want to drop  note or call to PBC - they are fantastic at customer support.

Good luck,

David
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:03:50 PM »
I don't foil the bottom of mine. That does sound like grease getting down between the foil and bottom.

You need to be careful however because the ash and liquids can create an mixture that will quickly corrode the bottom of your PBC.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline tekn50

• tekn50
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 11:51:07 PM »
I do foil most of time also.  I would not worry to much about the grease.  Unless it gets real bad.  I did see a post somewhere online, of a guy using a weed burner to clean it out.  You can also scrap it out using some card board.
Dave
Weber Kettle x1 now
PBC
Traeger Jr. Elite

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »
I line the bottom with hd foil and dump it out. bottom stays clean and no sandy trail down the side of the barrel. Trust me on this one. I was one of the first PBC owners round these parts and I have no issues with a greasy dirty bottom  :o  .............of the PBC I mean  ;)
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32