Author Topic: Electric smoker advice.  (Read 14443 times)

Offline AndyL

Electric smoker advice.
« Reply #-1 on: October 25, 2019, 09:30:18 PM »
I'm looking to pick up a new electric smoker to be used primarily for hanging sausage in and possibly other cured meats. For all my other cooking needs I have my PBC.

I'd prefer something that's digitally controlled and can hold it's heat well, even in cold weather. Any thoughts,  opinions or shared knowledge and expertise would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
Re: Electric smoker advice.
« on: October 26, 2019, 08:48:59 AM »
I am thinking Masterbuilt if you want to stay in the 200-400 dollar neighborhood

If you want a smoker to last forever:  smokin it      smoking tex     cookshack        cry once says  The Smoke  :thumbup:
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline Jaxon

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 04:15:15 PM »
i had a Masterbuilt  for years before I finally let it go.

It served me well making jerky so many times. 
<><
You're at the top of the food chain...eat like it!

Offline RAD

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 04:57:06 PM »
I have the Masterbuilt. I really never use it, i prefer the kettle using the SnS over electric for smoking. But for hanging sausage it should be fine.
Love to cook and eat

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 06:37:46 PM »
I have a Masterbuilt and really like it, but to be honest the main reason I bought it was to use as a portable oven, of sorts, for heating up and holding four trays of Mac & Cheese, etc. for larger cookouts that I do a couple times per year.

Occasionally I will use it for smoking something where I want to apply a light smoke for a short period. Otherwise, for smoking sausages, bacon, hams, etc.  I prefer using my MAK pellet grill/smoker.

But as far as quality in electric smokers, they're well insulated and hard to beat for the money.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline AndyL

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2019, 06:10:03 AM »
Definitely useful advice, thanks for taking the time to share it.

Masterbuilt definitely has some solid points, low cost and larger size. The units from Smokin-it!, Smokin' Tex and Cookshack have their own decent points, lifetime durability, overall quality of build and a 4/5 star reviews from everyone that owns them.

It's a tough call considering that 90% of the time I'll be using it periodically for sausage smoking  and other cured meats and not all the time on a regular basis. I dont mind laying the links on the grate instead of hanging them and an analog thermostat is fine as long as it's accurate which I'd assume the higher end units would be. I don't need a huge capacity as I'll be doing maybe 5-10lbs of sausage at a time.

My main buying points are durability and quality of build to last as long as possible and insulated to be able to operate in single digit temps effectively like it gets around here from time to time seeing as how I cook all year round. At the moment I'm leaning towards these 2 models from Smokin-it!

https://www.smokin-it.com/Smoker-p/smkmdl1-gen3.htm
https://www.smokin-it.com/Smoker-p/smkmdl2-gen3.htm

It's like a lot of times in life where its best to buy the best tool you can afford........I figure anyway!

Offline UWFSAE

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2019, 10:32:38 AM »
I have the Smokin-It #3 and when I lived in an apartment from 2013-2016 (restricting open flame/combustible pellets on my balcony); it produced very good ribs, brisket, etc.  Mine was not one of their newer PID controllers so I couldn't get the temps I wanted to produce crispy chicken skin, but for everything else it was solid.  They're built simply and are reliable, in my experience; if I were to buy another electric smoker, I'd have no qualms about buying from them again.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 03:52:51 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Crosby, TX
Smokin-It #3
Weber Genesis E-330

Offline smokeasaurus

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2019, 03:21:59 PM »
The smoking-it forum is very active and it is tough to find someone unhappy with their purchase
Got Smoke?

Keveri H1 Charcoal oven

Joined 12-5-11   Member# 32

Offline AndyL

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 06:42:50 PM »
They're built simply and are reliable, in my experience; if I were to buy another electric smoker, I'd have no qualms about buying from them again.

The smoking-it forum is very active and it is tough to find someone unhappy with their purchase

That's good to hear.......thanks!  :thumbup:

Offline old sarge

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 09:18:10 PM »
Really late getting here.  I have the Smokin-it 3D and upgrade to the wifi controller when it was available as a septette purchase.  A fine unit and utterly reliable although I do not use wifi. I set my controller and walk away. Never had a problem.  Pricey but a good investment.
US Army 1970-1995
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber kettle
Ducane Meridian
Cookshack Amérique
Smokin-it 3D
Old Hickory Knives
Chefs Choice 665 Slicer
LEM MaxVac
LEM BigBite #8
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Offline AndyL

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 05:54:42 AM »
Really late getting here.  I have the Smokin-it 3D and upgrade to the wifi controller when it was available as a septette purchase.  A fine unit and utterly reliable although I do not use wifi. I set my controller and walk away. Never had a problem.  Pricey but a good investment.

Hey Sarge,  thanks for your info! Right now I'm looking at the Smokin'-it model 2d digital version for exact temperature control for smoking sausages and other cured meats. It's 16 deg F here this morning so I definitely need a well made and heavily insulated smoker!