Author Topic: Smoked Pork Neck Bone Gravy over rice, cornbread and greens  (Read 9126 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Smoked Pork Neck Bone Gravy over rice, cornbread and greens
« Reply #-1 on: July 30, 2014, 02:14:46 AM »
Jul 29 2014

One meat I very seldom see around here are neck bones. The other day when I was at my butchers, Kah Meats, and I saw two bags of pork neck bones in his freezer I had to have a bag. The one I chose was 4.49 lbs. at .79 cents a pound!  Neck bones are usually used for making soups or stews so I went looking for a recipe.

I found one at Food52 by Pat; she posts to Foo52 and has a blog spot, inpatskitchen.blogspot.com. Her Smoked pork neck bone gravy over rice was just what I wanted.

She used 1 ½ lbs. of smoked neck bones and a lb. of ones she browned up. I smoked my own neck bones and changed the cooking order some but all the ingredients were hers.

I smoked a little over half of the bones in my Traeger seasoned with Penzey’s Cajun seasoning. I did them on smoke mode P4 and was running 170 to 180 grill level the first hour. After I got them on at 12:00 I finished up the back yard mowing I didn’t get done yesterday. At 1:00 the grandson came to stain my park bench; his first big paint job and he did great!

The second hour my smoker was running about 180 to 190 deg. grill level; I had my 6 inch amazin tube smoker going with oak pellets for some extra smoke.

At 2:00 I upped the smoker to 300 deg. for about 35o deg. grill level while I got my 5.5 quart Dutch oven with a TBS. of bacon grease heating on my outdoor gas burner to brown up the rest of the neck bones with a little salt and pepper. I had to do them in two batches and transferred them to a large stainless pot.  I added the smoked bones and covered with water. I added a stalk of celery, a small onion salt and pepper and brought to a slow boil. I took the Dutch oven inside to use for the rest of the cook.

While the neck bones were cooking I baked a box mix cornbread in a cast iron skillet in the oven. I know this is a southern dish and most southerners would prefer non-sweetened cornbread, but I am a Yankee and like sweet cornbread!

The cornbread was done and the neck bones had been cooking about an hour and a half. I removed the bones and took inside to cool. I set the pot off the burner and covered to add the broth back in.

After the bones had cooled enough to handle I picked all the meat off. I diced up a large Vidalia onion, 5 celery sticks and 1 ½ large green peppers. I used some extra of all since I had more meat than Pat’s recipe. I added a TBS. of bacon grease to my Dutch oven and took back out to my gas burner. When it got hot I added the veggies in with a little dried garlic flakes, salt and pepper and cooked until the veggies were soft. I added the broth back in and all the meat from the neck bones and brought to a slow boil. Later I added about 3 TBS. Worcestershire sauce.

I opened a can of collard greens for me to have and heated with some salt, pepper and hot sauce. My wife does not like greens. I had brown flour on hand so mixed a half cup with ¾ cup of water and made slurry to thicken the broth.

All had been cooking about an hour and a half so I added in the flour slurry; it thickened up pretty quick so I stirred in some sliced green onions and took inside. I had rice done in my rice cooker; it was a little before 6:00. My wife just had the gravy over rice with cornbread and butter. I had the gravy over rice, topped with some more sliced green onions, Cholula hot sauce, salt and pepper. I had my greens on the side and had 3 pieces of buttered cornbread to eat with it.

My wife liked it and I thought it was great. I don’t think you could find any cheaper dish with this much flavor to fix. It would fill a lot of bellies at a reasonable price! This is a true southern comfort food and tasted pretty good with the cool weather we have been having. I will definitely fix it this winter. I know my butcher will always get me some neck bones.

Link to Pat's recipe https://food52.com/recipes/21069-lip-smackin-neck-bone-gravy-and-rice

My Supper

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline sparky

• northern california
plate me right now.  that looks too good not to have a bowl. 
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline pz

Re: Smoked Pork Neck Bone Gravy over rice, cornbread and greens
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 02:39:56 AM »
plate me right now.  that looks too good not to have a bowl.

X2 - sure wish I lived closer!

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 03:48:50 AM »
After looking at this post, I will need to keep an eye out for neck bones.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 06:24:27 AM »
Man that looks good Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 09:10:41 AM »
That does look scrumptious.  I am going to a new (to me) butcher shop on Friday.  I will be looking for some neck bones, beef and pork.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline N. Ontario Smoker

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 09:38:05 AM »
Don...You make some really great meals.
"Vegetarian" is an old Indian word for bad hunter.

Fred

Offline Pam Gould

• Lima, Ohio..Lost in middle America
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 10:43:03 AM »
Don..you should have invited me for that one..I would have showed up..only takes 10 minutes to get to your house from mine.  I think I remember where it is..lol  Pam  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.
Blackstone 22" Griddle
Cook Air
Cobb Grill w/ rotisserie
SRG
BEESR
G2G
CB tabletop propane grill
Cobb grill with rotisserie
22" copper colored Weber / rotisseriw
Uuni pizza maker
Lodge Cast iron Hibachi
tons of cast iron
Anova
Member #3

Offline Pappymn

Smoked Pork Neck Bone Gravy over rice, cornbread and greens
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:26:05 AM »
That looks most excellent SD
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »
After looking at this post, I will need to keep an eye out for neck bones.

X2 - never would have thought of that. Looks scrumptious!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 01:38:41 AM »
You're over the top again, looks wonderful.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline CDN Smoker

• Manitoba, Canada
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 05:34:52 AM »
Bookmarked SD, Thank You ;D
"GO JETS GO"

MAK 2 Star #1351
Traeger Model BBQ 124, # 1106

Nothing has really happened until it has been recorded. – Virginia Woolf (Usually misquoted as “no pictures, didn’t happen”)

Any mistakes in my writing is by Apple and I am tired of fighting with him as to who is correct.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 07:03:23 AM »
Looks great!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 03:14:14 PM »
Don, that's one nice looking plate full of comfort food, especially since we're heading into cool weather.

I like to cure & smoke pork neck bones like ham for adding to a pot of beans, soup, etc.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 06:02:07 PM »
WOW! And fine lookin bones,bet that was good!
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.