OTHER HOBBIES > OTHER HOBBIES

Upgrading tail lights on my Jeep with LED bulbs

(1/2) > >>

spuds:
Working on cars,guess its a hobby.Here is something for your older vehicle that you might find useful.Im looking at these,and with the dim bulbs that are almost un see-able in bright light,something needs to be done,supposedly these are plug and play workable

--------------------------------------------
From Amazon

2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars 10/10, would buy again., April 28, 2014
By
shb23 (Tacompton, WA) - See all my reviews
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: JDM ASTAR 800 Lumens Super Bright AX-2835 Chipsets 1157 2057 2357 7528 LED Bulbs For Brake Lights Tail lights Turn Signal, Brilliant Red

Loving these bulbs. They are the brightest I have seen, a great, brilliant red. They fit perfectly and work flawlessly, and they are far brighter than the standard incandescent bulbs that have been used historically. Additionally, if you use these for brakelight bulbs, you don't have to worry about load resistors or a new fuse relay, they are pure plug-n-play.
Will eventually replace the bulbs in the other 2 vehicles we own.
------------------------------------------

http://smile.amazon.com/JDM-ASTAR-AX-2835-Chipsets-Brilliant/dp/B00HJEGQQ2/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1406415665&sr=1-4&keywords=jdm+astar+1157

Im going LED  in rear , Im also reading LED flasher units are now available for about 20 bucks.
------------------------------

It is plug and play and bulbs work great,I will finish up thread with pics tonight,I think its a good fix.

Stock running lights in sun

Lights off .Cant even tell a difference between these first 2 photos in the sun

Wasnt quite as bright sun in this pic,but still its a NOTABLE improvement

Lights with LED running on

LED with brakes

------------------------
Re: LED replacement bulb?

I had a motorist stop me on the street and tell me he could BARELY tell I had rear light bulbs,in full desert sun.What started my journey,safety and lights are a big issue with me.

So the upshot.Pics arent the greatest but these NEW LED's are much more visible.Difference between running and brake,turn isnt that much in sunlight when running lights are on,but they really pop in sun when running lights off.

Plenty contrast between brake and turn with running lights on at night.That yellow in bulbs is how camera see's them,they are a NICE full red.

I was able to use the stock 552 flasher but wasnt sure if it ran a little faster with LED,they did NOT hyperflash,but to be sure I went and bought the blue LED electronic flasher for 21 bucks at Carquest and installed,no difference at all ,same speed as the stock 552 flasher.

Soooo,plug and play,and much brighter,Im sold that this is a very good light enhancement.

Im a flashlight-ohlic,so into LED,bearing in mind im no expert but have a LOT of LED's.

LED tech advances by leaps and bounds,a 2 year old LED is dinosaur tech to a recent release,model changes and improvements are FAST and constant.

IMO this is a real winner and this bulb is all its cracked up to be in the reviews.I went thru searching a billion bulbs before I found this model with great reviews.

Try these if your lights are substandard,I know Im VERY pleased.
=====================
2 bulbs per order,Delivered in 4 days from amazon.Hard to beat for 22 bucks for visible tail lights..

Item(s) Subtotal: $16.99
Shipping & Handling: $2.99
-----
Total before tax: $19.98
Sales Tax: $1.80
-----
Total for This Shipment: $21.78

1967 Commando,225,auto

sliding_billy:
Nice work.  Safety first!

TMB:
Good thinking, but if you were do try this in a new car or at least an Acura or Honda you would cause issues with turn signals, lights (warnings) and if you towed with it trailer light malfunctions  ???

Yep old cars are much better than these newer ones.     

spuds:

--- Quote from: TMB on July 31, 2014, 11:06:17 AM ---Good thinking, but if you were do try this in a new car or at least an Acura or Honda you would cause issues with turn signals, lights (warnings) and if you towed with it trailer light malfunctions  ???

Yep old cars are much better than these newer ones.   

--- End quote ---
Heard CANBUS can be a real headache.Our last new car was a 2001 Jetta,electronic nightmare.

pz:
Nice work, spuds  ;)

We just retrofitted LED bulbs in our fifth wheel - much less power consumption, and way cooler, which is an issue for us when we travel in hot weather

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version