OTHER HOBBIES > OTHER HOBBIES

Upgrading tail lights on my Jeep with LED bulbs

<< < (2/2)

spuds:

--- Quote from: pz on July 31, 2014, 07:29:48 PM ---Nice work, spuds  ;)

We just retrofitted LED bulbs in our fifth wheel - much less power consumption, and way cooler, which is an issue for us when we travel in hot weather

--- End quote ---
They really are the best,in our house but for a couple CFL's they are all Cree or Phillips LED,I really like them too..... a lot.And at less than 10 dollars a bulb...... ;) 8)

Las Vegan Cajun:
Love those LED's, first thing I did to my Harley when I bought it was add LED brake lights.  When I apply brakes on the motorcycle I want people behind me to see that I'm slowing down.

spuds:
Got pulled over last night,no right rear running light,off with a verbal warning "But I just upgraded to led's about a week ago Ossifer" :'(.

Turns out the circuit runs thru license plate lamp,that wire broken.

Fixed today,sure glad it wasnt the bulb.

Northshore:
If you live in area that frequently gets snow or ice, keep a brush handy and check the lights. No heat no melting of snow/ice coating

pz:

--- Quote from: spuds on August 13, 2014, 07:53:38 PM ---Got pulled over last night,no right rear running light,off with a verbal warning "But I just upgraded to led's about a week ago Ossifer" :'(.

Turns out the circuit runs thru license plate lamp,that wire broken.

Fixed today,sure glad it wasnt the bulb.

--- End quote ---

That reminds me of the original LEDs that I installed in the fiver - purchased 15 of them and replaced nearly all of the incandescent bulbs in the rig.  We went on the long trip earlier this summer and we first saw one bulb become bright, then POOF! if blew.  When I checked it, the LEDs themselves appeared burnt, and the end of the unit was discolored.  As I continued, another bulb did the same thing!  Off they go, and when I checked, at least half of the 15 were discolored.

The next day I called my RV place and told them of my dissatisfaction - they  offered to take them back, but we were already on the trip - luckily I still had the incandescents to put back.

After returning home and doing research with the RV place, we discovered that the LED would work to a maximum of 14 volts - my trailer sometimes sits at 13.6 v, likely higher at times, so the bulbs blew.  The RV place replaced all 15 with different bulbs rated to 30 volts.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version