Author Topic: Temp test with Traeger with digital thermo  (Read 867 times)

Offline nylic76

Temp test with Traeger with digital thermo
« Reply #-1 on: August 10, 2014, 07:02:27 PM »
Yesterday, I upgraded the Traeger Junior I recently purchased with the digital thermo.  I cooked ac hicken on high and the digital showed 450*.  This afternoon I ran a test at 3 different temp settings, the results are shown below:

The ambient temp was 77.

Smoke position.  Fluctuated between 172 to 184 over a 15 minute period.  Stayed mostly at 177.

180 position.  Initially spiked to 230 and gradually came down to 195 then bounced between 195-204.

225 position.  Initially dropped to 173 after 4 minutes and then spiked at 305 at end of 6 minutes.  At 15 minutes it was at 256.  Nineteen minutes 233.  Hit 225 at 21 minutes.  Dropped to 220 at 23 minutes.  Went to 256 at 25 minutes and started dropping.  At 28 minutes at 234. Hit 225 again at 30 minutes.  Dropped to 216 at 32 minutes.  Went back to 256 at 34 minutes. It was at 243 at 37 minutes when I shut it down.  Although it bounced around, I  assume this is normal and, except for the initial spike after changing positions, the temp swings weren't excessive.  What do you pellet users think?
SRG
Big Easy
Weber Kettle
Traeger Junior
Broilmaster Gas & GrillGrates
12" A-MAZE-N Smoker Tube

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: Temp test with Traeger with digital thermo
« on: August 10, 2014, 08:23:19 PM »
Sounds about right. Don't obsess about the temps jumping up and down. It is all about averages. The digital thermostat is not a PID so you will experience swings. And the smaller chamber of the junior has the same size firepot as a Lil Tex so it can get to really high temps quickly and a bit more swings.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Temp test with Traeger with digital thermo
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2014, 09:36:28 PM »
Sounds about right. Don't obsess about the temps jumping up and down. It is all about averages. The digital thermostat is not a PID so you will experience swings. And the smaller chamber of the junior has the same size firepot as a Lil Tex so it can get to really high temps quickly and a bit more swings.

^^^ Agree with what Mike is saying!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles