Author Topic: Saturday Night Pork Chops  (Read 1192 times)

Offline Timbo

Saturday Night Pork Chops
« Reply #-1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:20:48 PM »
In the month or so since I have had my OTG, I've been trying to relearn everything I know about outdoor cooking. For the past twenty-some years, I've used propane grills (except for right after my divorce when I bought a charcoal grill only to have my landlord prohibit charcoal grills the very next week). I've enjoyed the challenge that charcoal has provided so far; I feel much more like a participant in the cook rather than a spectator--kind of like the feeling of driving a manual transmission on a curvy road rather than an automatic transmission.

The one thing I have not been able to do is to get the OTG to hold a sub-300 temperature. I had posted my dilemma on another forum before I discovered LTBBQ last week, and they advised using the fuse method and making sure my bottom vents were at 25-50% from the start of the cook. This was pretty much opposite from what I had been doing, so I hoped it would work. I decided to try out the advice on some lovely almost-2-inch-thick pork chops.

I made a 2x2 fuse and also covered the indirect side of the charcoal grate with some aluminum foil; I figured it could only help airflow control. I set my bottom vents for 25% open. After lighting the fuse and letting temps stabilize, I was able to maintain a steady 216 degrees.

I added some pecan chips to the fuse, and enjoyed some lovely smelling smoke for the duration.

After slowly bringing the chops to an internal temp of 120, I lit some more charcoal, poured it in, and direct-heated the chops for the final 15 degrees. I would have liked a better sear, but I didn't want to dry them out. Here's mine along with a baked tater cooked on the Weber Spirit.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:39:44 PM by Timbo »
Weber Spirit E-310 | Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Saturday Night Pork Chops
« on: August 11, 2014, 04:25:55 PM »
It looks like you have mastered the fuse burn! I know that Sparky, 1Bigg ER, Lost Arrow, Capt' Jack - and others have great success with this method. TO the point of seeing how long they can get a steady burn temp...Memory says somebody here got 12+ hours!!!
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline Timbo

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 04:33:50 PM »
I only needed the fuse for about an hour, which doesn't seem to be what it was really designed for (according to what I've read), but it allowed me to get the job done, so I guess that's what's really important.

I'm not at the point (yet) where I want to try to smoke some meat for a long time, but I'm getting there.
Weber Spirit E-310 | Weber 22.5" One Touch Gold

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 04:43:54 PM »

PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 04:49:52 PM »
Those chops look like they came out perfect. I too use the snake method in my Weber Performer. Not only for the
longer cooks but I do for shorter ones. You can also keep the temps down by lighting less charcoal to start. If you have
the char baskets from Weber then put about 25 unlit and about 8 to 10 lit on top. Should keep you right around 225 to
250 with your bottom vents about 25 per cent open.
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 06:05:54 PM »
Good looking cook!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 06:10:54 PM »
I've enjoyed the challenge that charcoal has provided so far; I feel much more like a participant in the cook rather than a spectator--kind of like the feeling of driving a manual transmission on a curvy road rather than an automatic transmission.

I REALLY like that analogy! Reminds me of my Austin Healy Sprite! :D :D :D
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 03:42:05 PM »
Excellent looking, ya done good.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 10:42:45 AM »
Nice looking chop!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven