Author Topic: Peach Pork Butt  (Read 3953 times)

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
Re: Peach Pork Butt
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 10:25:27 AM »
Nice, wonder how it would cook in infrared?

I know one way to find out! ;)
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Kora Smoker

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 02:33:21 PM »
Now I know why it's the most requested pork butt - absolutely beautiful.
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26 kettle
Rec Tec 680
Gabby's Grill Santa Maria add on for weber kettle 26 inch
Gateway Drum Smoker

Offline smokentime

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 06:41:03 PM »
I can see why it's so popular, that is one DAN D looking plate o food dare brother. Very nice
We only cook and eat the piece of the hog that made a pig of itself.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 06:48:07 PM »
Mike that not only sounds wonderful, but it sure does look like it too!  I'm drooling for a sammie from that my friend!  :P

Offline RAD

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 08:29:03 PM »
Man that does look good
Love to cook and eat

Offline pz

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 10:05:06 PM »
WOW that looks good!

Offline Don O

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 02:42:54 PM »
Well, I decided to try Mike's HighOnSmoke Peach Pork Butt recipe.  So while at Costco I went ahead and picked up a boneless pork shoulder butt.  I followed Mike's recipe just as he has it posted.  The only difference, since I had such a large piece of meat, I doubled the injection.

I wanted to try something different so I left the meat in the cryovac.  I just cut out a window on the the top side of the package leaving the cryovac still high up on the shoulders of the package.  This left plenty of room to inject and reach all sides and depth.  I placed the package in a large aluminum foil pan and injected away.   This worked out very good and all the injection stayed inside of the cryovac.  I used some saran wrap to cover the window and into the fridge for 24 hours.

Yesterday morning I removed it from the fridge and the cryovac.  It was already cut into two pieces of equal sizes.  I applied the first coating of Sweet Seduction rub.  Went outside and started up my Traeger and set it for 225*  After about 15 minutes I applied a heavy coat of Pecan rub. Then used some cooking twine to tie up the pork pieces since the bone had been removed so that each was a nice large chunk of meat neatly packaged.

Into the Traeger.  The piece next to the exhaust reached 162* IT first.  Removed it and foiled it with a splash of apple juice.  Returned to Traeger and moved the other piece next to the exhaust side and the foiled piece in the center.  Increased  the temp to 250*. An hour later the second piece was also at 162* IT so foiled it with a touch of apple juice too.

The first piece in the center reached 198* IT and I removed it.  The second piece also reached 198* IT 30 minutes later.  The entire process took about 10 hours.

I let both rest for a little over an hour before pulling.  The meat was very, very moist and tasted great.  Will I do this again.  Sure will.  Only next time I will omit the foil stage at 162* and let it just go all the way natural.  I just love the bark better doing it the non foiled way.  However, you can't loose either way.

My wife and I used ZipLock quart bags to make up 1 LB packages to be frozen for latter use and for little gifts for the kids to take home after they visit.  Of course we had pulled pork sandwiches for dinner.  I messed up and forgot to get the coleslaw.  Next time.

I didn't take any pictures of the meat cooking or pulled because they look exactly like what Mike already posted.

Thanks to Mike, HighOnSmoke for the recipe and for sharing.  Mmmmm good.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 03:24:35 PM »
Glad the recipe came out the way you wanted Don! I still am getting requests.  ;)
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 01:40:20 AM »
The only problem I see with that sandwich is that it's on the wrong plate, it should be on mine.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)