Author Topic: Gas Grill Pizza  (Read 3992 times)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
Gas Grill Pizza
« Reply #-1 on: August 30, 2014, 06:20:47 PM »
I own one of those Uuni wood fired pizza oven,s but I really prefer a good pizza stone to it any day. The Uuni is not for everyone and I have had mine for over a year now and just can not say I like it. I have posted some really good cooks with it but trust me the ones I did not post I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many the dog got to eat. Every new cooking toy has a time frame to learn how to use it and that thing is just not for me. If your considering one of those ovens just remember the learning curve is huge and the cost up here in Canada just don't cut it. Oven + shipping and border fees where over 500 bucks so think hard and long on this one.

So now that I got my rant out of the way here was to-nights pizza on a 30 dollar pizza stone in the gasser BBQ. :)

Cheese, Hot dogs, pepperoni and Canadian back bacon.   

In the BBQ

Done In 5 minutes

Added fresh tomatoes and Basil after the cook.
My sons

Mine

Just as good as any Uuni pizza I ever cooked if not better.  ;)

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
Re: Gas Grill Pizza
« on: August 30, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »
WOW....That is a great looking Poe, nicely done.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 06:30:16 PM »
Wow sorry to hear that :'(

I thought you liked it and did not have any problems?

There is a slight learning curve to the oven but once I got it dialed in I was making some great pies.

Let me know if I can help you with it if your still going to use it.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
Fine looking pizza Devo.
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 06:43:25 PM »

There is a slight learning curve to the oven but once I got it dialed in I was making some great pies.

Don't worry Mike.....I will still use it for my searing steaks.

I just don't see any difference from a pizza stone to that oven other than it takes a lot more time to get the oven up to speed. Maybe thats why Kristian refined the whole thing? Not sure but its just not for me.

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 06:52:27 PM »

Don't worry Mike.....I will still use it for my searing steaks.

I just don't see any difference from a pizza stone to that oven other than it takes a lot more time to get the oven up to speed. Maybe thats why Kristian refined the whole thing? Not sure but its just not for me.

I can't replicate the way the top of the pizza comes out or the smokey flavor of the Uuni on a regular stone and oven/pellet cooker myself.

My original Uuni only took around 12 minutes to get up to temperature. The new one actually takes longer.

Do you think it is not getting hot enough for you or too hot?
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 07:03:19 PM »
The main thing that bothers me about the Uuni is the black black soot. Every thing you touch on the inside your covered in black soot. The opening is way to small to place your pizza on the cooking surface causing you to get black soot on at least part of your arms. I have a very hard time trying to place the pizza in the right place so it is not covering the holes on the bottom of the oven which is needed for air flow. Would have been better if the top was hinged so you had a open space to work with when needed.
It's a nice idea. For me I never noticed a 500 hundred dollar difference in the taste of gas grill compared to wood fired. Guess i'm more of a Domino's type of guy.  :D

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 07:43:35 PM »
Unfortunately you will get soot on the top interior of the oven because the flame actually rolls on it and any flame making contact with metal will get soot.

I never have a problem getting my pizza in off of the peel so no soot contact for me. Were you having trouble getting the pizza to release from the peel?

The size is better suited for 10 inch pizzas. Anything larger might make it more difficult. Over 12 inches won't fit.

Also wood fired ovens are best for thin crust pizzas due to the high heat and how quickly they cook.
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 07:48:06 PM »
A little corn meal on the dough when you roll it out makes it easier to slide off the peel.  Works for me.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 08:10:26 PM »
OK lets get this right. I know all the little tricks to get the pizza off the peel. I have two metal ones and a wood one. I have read many posts from pizza sites like http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php on how to release the pizza from the peel. That is not the problem I have with this oven. This oven is not for the average Joe. It takes way to much fuel to get it up to temp where a pizza stone does not need so much attention. Heat it and forget it with a stone. I have way more options with a stone, oven....BBQ, PBC, camp fire to mention a few. The Uuni is a nice concept but after using it for over a year I wish I had spent my money on something better. 
Not everyone is going to like a product the same. This is my opinion on it and I respect Mikes opinion on it. I just want others to know its not for everyone. I hope you all can respect that.

Done with this  ::)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 08:25:33 PM »
OK lets get this right. I know all the little tricks to get the pizza off the peel. I have two metal ones and a wood one. I have read many posts from pizza sites like http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php on how to release the pizza from the peel. That is not the problem I have with this oven. This oven is not for the average Joe. It takes way to much fuel to get it up to temp where a pizza stone does not need so much attention. Heat it and forget it with a stone. I have way more options with a stone, oven....BBQ, PBC, camp fire to mention a few. The Uuni is a nice concept but after using it for over a year I wish I had spent my money on something better. 
Not everyone is going to like a product the same. This is my opinion on it and I respect Mikes opinion on it. I just want others to know its not for everyone. I hope you all can respect that.

Done with this  ::)

I can respect that. I was just trying to help. I felt like you may have purchased this oven on my recommendation and feel bad it did not work well for you. Matter is done...
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 08:31:19 PM »
Well...that is why there are lot's of options in the marketplace. One solution is not a "one-size fits all" , and the good part about it gives us lots of toys  to choose from;D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 09:23:05 PM »
I can respect that. I was just trying to help. I felt like you may have purchased this oven on my recommendation and feel bad it did not work well for you. Matter is done...

Yes Mike I know you where trying to help and I appreciate it very much as that is what this forum is all about. That is why I just come here in stead of all the other ones I joined years ago. Perhaps I don't put my point across as well as you, I'm more of here it is and if you don't like it to bad type of guy.  ;D
I do think you had more time to perfect the pizza oven as you don't have the cold (-40 below) weather I do for 8 months of the year. That is where most of the trouble I had with this cooker came from.
I have had plenty of time to experiment with it this summer since I am now retired and just can't give it a thumbs up. Knowing that I will have a almost perfect pizza with my pizza stone is stress free.....and thats what retirement should be like.
Enjoy your new Uuni 2 as I enjoy your posts and the possibilities of it. 

Offline smokendevo

• Northern Ontario
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 09:26:05 PM »
This is stress free my friend.  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 10:17:57 PM »
Just one last comment about your Uuni then I am done. Now that you mention the -40F weather I wonder if that temperature would give that electric fan issues. Maybe slow down. I can't imagine that it can handle those kind of extreme temperatures! It is just a computer case fan.

Ok so now that I have said that I am done ;)
Member #22
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC