Author Topic: Grilled Flank Steak, veggies and couscous  (Read 1033 times)

Offline Smokin Don

• Pellet Smoker Cooking
Grilled Flank Steak, veggies and couscous
« Reply #-1 on: September 13, 2014, 12:54:07 AM »
Sep 12 2014

Yesterday I had 5 flank steaks to fix. A small thick one I trimmed up and marinated in some Whistle Stop Marinade. The original Whistle Stop Café was the basis for the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, in 1992. The café was located in Irondale, Alabama. The family that owned the café has sold it but their son Bill still sells products made from the recipes of the café.

The steak had marinated in the fridge for 12 hour, I removed it from the marinade and on a wire rack in a covered dish in the fridge for several hours before grilling.

My sides were some Israeli couscous cooked in chicken stock and about 1/3 cup of shredded parmesan, Romano and Asiago cheese and I stir fried some frozen Japanese vegetables I had.

I had my Weber Spirit heated with the flat side of grill grates to 450 deg. I seasoned the steak with a little salt and pepper and sprayed one side with some olive oil. It went on the grill oil side down for 8 minutes then turned for another 6 to 7 minutes. The IT of the steak was from 135 to 140 deg.

I had my couscous made and tented the steak to rest while I did the stir fry of veggies. I served it with some bread and butter. This supper was kind of a hodgepodge of different cultures but it all tasted good together. Note I did get my bread and butter in there! I had some Terry Ho's Yum Yum sauce on my steak.

The marinade is Kikkoman soy sauce based with no MSG. It says to marinade for 2 hours. I thought my   1 ½ inch thick steak needed longer so went with overnight. It might have been a little overdone so next time I would do for 4 hours. I did like it though and it gave the steak a good flavor.

Steak and Marinade

Steak sliced

My supper

Smokin Don
Traeger 07E pellet smoker
Weber E210 gas grill
Weber Jumbo Joe Charcoal
Camp Chef Pro 30 gas burner
Camp Chef Iron Griddle
Lodge CI Hibachi
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
I am not aging, just marinating
I think I am starting to age!
http://pelletsmokercooking.blogspot.com/

Offline HighOnSmoke

• Global Moderator
  • Palm Bay, Florida
Re: Grilled Flank Steak, veggies and couscous
« on: September 13, 2014, 06:33:21 AM »
That looks real good Don!
Mike

Auto Akorn Kamado
Recteq Stampede
Recteq Bullseye 380X
Weber Master Touch
PK Original Grill
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Green Mountain Grill Pizza Insert
Blackstone 36" and 22" griddles

Offline ACW3

• Morganton, NC
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 08:16:14 AM »
Looks good, Don.

Art
MAK 2 STAR (#171) Since RETIRED!
MAK 2 STAR (#4408)
Weber Kettle W/ Rotisserie
Uuni 2 Pizza Oven
Member #11

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 10:15:22 AM »
Great looking plate Don.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 10:37:30 AM »
Over the top again, looks delicious.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)