Author Topic: Brisket Flat  (Read 1435 times)

Offline Smokerjunky

Brisket Flat
« Reply #-1 on: September 29, 2014, 03:35:51 PM »
Hi Everyone!

Saturday was brisket flat day.  We had some friends coming over to show us the pics of their recent trip to Germany and Ireland.  I figured a good way to thank them for the tour would be a brisket dinner.

Brisket was a 7.4 pound flat from Costco.  I trimmed the thick hard parts of the fat cap down to about 1/4 inch and trimmed the edges up straight.  I also removed the leftover silverskin from the back to allow the smoke to penetrate better.  Simple was the name of the game here so I seasoned with FSB and some Montreal Steak Seasoning and wrapped it in saran for an overnight rest in the fridge.

5:00 AM rolled around and I got up and put it on the smoker and fired up the extra smoker box.  For pellets I chose Mesquite for the smoker and Cherry for the smoker box.

I ran it at 165 degrees for almost four hours as I wanted some solid smoke on this one.  Just before 9:00 AM the temp was bumped to 225. 

By 12:30 the internal had reached 151 and it held there until I bumped the temp up again at 2:00 - Dinner was planned for 6 and I wanted to get it off to rest in the foil/towels/cooler for a couple hours before serving.  I cranked the heat up to 300 and put a pie plate of water in for some steam.  I did not inject this one as I really have not noticed a diffrence in moisture just flavor.  I was really going for a simple flavor of beef and smoke so I did not want to over-think it.

At 3:30 the IT was up to 195 so I pulled it and wrapped it in foil and returned it to the smoker to finish.  I did not add any fluids - again wanting to maintain a pretty pure beef flavor.

At 4:30 the IT was at 205 - I probed it and it was butter soft so I pulled it, wrapped it in towels and put it in a cooler.  It came off about a half hour later than I planned so I left it in the cooler resting until 6:30 to get the full two hours.

Final results:  Great beef/smoke flavor - the moisture content was good and it was tender but not falling apart.
Everyone enjoyed and six of us nearly polished it off (I had enough left over for french dips last night and a sandwich for lunch today)

After plating I poured the juices from the foil over the top of the slices

I highly recommend the Brisket French Dip sandwiches with leftovers.  This is the second time we have done that and the family really enjoys them - from now on I need to do enough brisket to ALWAYS have french dips the next day!
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline spuds

• Girl says Hi from the SoCal Mtns.
Re: Brisket Flat
« on: September 29, 2014, 04:36:54 PM »
SJ,you made a beautiful brisket there,congrats. :P :P :P :P :P
Feel free to share my pictorials anywhere you like.Could mention from Spuds if you remember.

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2014, 04:43:40 PM »
Hey, I'll take one of those Sammies ! ! !

Great looking cook!

BD
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 04:05:36 PM by Big Dawg »
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC

Offline Pappymn

Brisket Flat
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2014, 05:13:16 PM »
Very nice briskie! Do you think injecting would have made the moisture move from good to Great?

I have a packer in the freezer that I want to try. Will be my first packer. My only flat I did was a disaster
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline Smokerjunky

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2014, 05:29:24 PM »
Very nice briskie! Do you think injecting would have made the moisture move from good to Great?

I have a packer in the freezer that I want to try. Will be my first packer. My only flat I did was a disaster

Hi Pappy,  thanks for the comment!  B

Based on previous briskets I have cooked I can't tell a difference in the moisture level with or without injections.  The only noticible change (in my opinion based on my cooks) from injecting is a flavor change.  I have done four briskets, two injected and two without injection and I could not see/taste a measureable difference in moisture.  The picture of the two slices on the cutting board was as the brisket was cut from the slab and there is considerable moisture visible on the slices.

That is my opinion based on my cooks - I have only done four briskets so I am still learning - Maybe some of the pros on the site could offer more insight on that.

I have noticed varying opinions on fat cap down -vs- fat cap up and I cook with the fat cap up with the thought that the cap would help moisturize the meat as it cooks (again - my opinion and I am still new at this)

Good Luck - I am looking forward to seeing your cook and how you decide to do it. (your cooks are always impressive)
Grand Slam Pro
Weber Summit

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 06:08:51 PM »
Looks delicious.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2014, 08:55:24 PM »
Looks great!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 10:47:43 PM »
Great looking brisket, nicely done.  ;)
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)