Author Topic: Pellets and the Rib-Lator  (Read 3716 times)

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Pellets and the Rib-Lator
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2014, 08:50:32 PM »
I had balance problems after a lot of Dave's ribs....they made want to fall down...curl up in the fetal position...suckered my thumb  all starry eyed and weep softly......They were awesome!!!!

So a typical Tuesday.....

;D50 demerits....a Catholic school ruler palm beating...and "it put on the lotion or it gets the hose".... ???
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline RAD

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2014, 06:22:41 AM »
that looks outstanding. I agree that sparky and Dave should meet and make ribs, but I will compare the ribs.  ;D
Love to cook and eat

Offline Old Dave

• Wood & Charcoal is the only Fuel
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2014, 08:47:48 AM »
Art, the balance wasn't as much of a problem as I had anticipated. Was easy to keep it in good balance and it will run fairly well even somewhat out of balance.

Carl & BD,

I think for your use of cooking 4 racks of ribs at one time in a GMG that this unit would work well for you. It sure does even out the heat by the turning racks but you don't really get the benefits of a true rotisserie as the food itself in not turning. I am not sure how you have your cooker set up but most if not modified will run hotter on one side or the other and if you would load your thicker sections of the slab towards the side that runs hotter, you would then have a perfect rib setup.

Another point, it will cook one to four racks of ribs just fine if you just keep in fairly in balance. For one rack, cut it into two pieces and place each piece in opposite trays. Do the same for three racks and stager the slabs or pieces.

Other than that, I feel it's just a novelty at best. I don't think I would go to the trouble of setting it up inside the cooker for about any other meat.

For the money, if a fellow had to buy it all including the unit, spit rod, motor, mounts, bushings, and what ever, I am not sure it's much of a value. I was lucky and just had to purchase the unit for $69.00 dollars as I had everything else so it did work out for me.

I kinda like it and will probably use it once in a while but will probably mount it more permanent in one of my Weber kettles.

Dave

Old Dave
Ribs & Bibs Competition Cooking Team

3 Backwoods--3 Big Green Eggs--2 Char-Broils
1 Cobb--1 Original Fast Eddy Pellet Cooker
1 Traeger & 2 Green Mountain Pellet Cookers
1 Genuswine Rotisserie Smoker--2 Hasty Bakes
1 Orion Cooker--6 Webers--Several Homebuilts

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »
Dave, if there's one thing I learned at the Fall Gathering:  you are a cooking machine!

Great report on the Rib-O-Lator. I've often wondered if they were worth getting.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Big Dawg

• Smoke 'em if you got 'em.
    • The Sultans of Swine
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2014, 04:26:04 PM »

For the money, if a fellow had to buy it all including the unit, spit rod, motor, mounts, bushings, and what ever, I am not sure it's much of a value. I was lucky and just had to purchase the unit for $69.00 dollars as I had everything else so it did work out for me.

I kinda like it and will probably use it once in a while but will probably mount it more permanent in one of my Weber kettles.

Dave

That's what my Christmas list is for.  I've got two daughters, one can get the Rib-o-Lator, the other can spring for the GrillGrates ! ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine

22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man
26.75 - Big Kahuna

KCBS: The Sultans of Swine-NC