Author Topic: Cracklins anyone?  (Read 4042 times)

Offline TwoPockets

Re: Cracklins anyone?
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 07:26:18 PM »
There are some good vies on YouTube also...

Cracklins are a real heritage food ( o.k....maybe not my heritage - but a heritage food nonetheless ;) ;D ) and harken from an era in which NOTHING was wasted. "everything but the oink" used. And, this we don't often consider it as such, how better to respect the animal, than to use all of it.

The last hog my Granny raised for food we took to a processor to break it down and my Granny said "you bring every piece of that hog back". We brought every piece back. She found a way to use every bit, tail, ears, head, tongue, skin, feet, intestines, all of it. When I asked her what she did with it all she said "I 'et everything but the squeal".
Ken

Weber Performer charcoal grill
Char-Broil The Big Easy
Char-Broil H20 electric smoker (back from the dead)
Camp Chef Expedition propane outdoor range
Camp Chef Italia Artisan pizza oven
Half a ton(literally) of cast iron cookware

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
Re: Cracklins anyone?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2014, 10:54:29 PM »
There are some good vies on YouTube also...

Cracklins are a real heritage food ( o.k....maybe not my heritage - but a heritage food nonetheless ;) ;D ) and harken from an era in which NOTHING was wasted. "everything but the oink" used. And, this we don't often consider it as such, how better to respect the animal, than to use all of it.

The last hog my Granny raised for food we took to a processor to break it down and my Granny said "you bring every piece of that hog back". We brought every piece back. She found a way to use every bit, tail, ears, head, tongue, skin, feet, intestines, all of it. When I asked her what she did with it all she said "I 'et everything but the squeal".

There a s strong movement among butchers - to go back to "nose to tail butchery". We are lucky here. In Asheville we have a one such butcher shop.   http://www.chopshopbutchery.com   The Chop Shop is fantastic. You can buy all the pieces-parts you want. And- they make killer sausage, cold cuts, terrines, - all forms of Charcuterie. And - the best dry aged beef I have eaten.
It is nice to know that folks are once again "re-learning" ;D what our previous generations already knew...waste not...want not ;)
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401