Author Topic: Academy Sports Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill smoker  (Read 15709 times)

Offline Greg Stoudenmire

Re: Academy Sports Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill smoker
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 10:33:41 AM »
T, thanks. I'll be going  by lowes to check on that vac.

Mike, the pellets were the ones sold at Academy Sports. B&B. Better Burn apple was all they had at the time.

Greg
Bradley Smoker OBS)
The Big Easy I.R. Cooker
ProQ and A-Maze-N pellet smoke generator
Little Chief Front Loader
Chair-Broil Electric Smoker
Thermos Gas Grill
Outdoor Gourmet pellet grill smoker (Traeger Lil' Tex)

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 11:21:36 PM »
I just bought some B & B pellets and will test them soon
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline kd5zmg

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2013, 09:33:51 AM »
Hi,

I hope it's ok to revive this thread.  I just wanted to say I bought the same type Gourmet Pellet Grill at Academy here in SATX and back in December 2012 it was on sale for $199.  I almost bought the Traeger Tex model at Costco for $699.  I am glad I saved the $500.  I cooked on it about 6 times before I moved firebrick into the bottom of the grill.  So far I am happy with the results after we figured out how it worked.

At first I had a problem with the unit tripping the CB.  I did not realize that you had to turn the knob to smoke and the lid up for 15 min or until smoke started to generate.  I was cranking the unit up all the way and the CB would trip.  I almost returned that dang thing... glad I RTFlippinM...  Anyway, I am thinking about drilling a coupl of holes for the Temp probe to go into and adding a DIY cold smoker or smoke daddy to the grill.  Also I have seen where some Traeger owners were doing lid mods to theirs to seal it better, thinking about doing the same.  The thing I like about the Gourmet Outdoor is that the wheels look sturdy.  Now I know that doesn't make the food cook any better, but my father-in-law who is a metal worker checked out both Traeger and Gourmet and his opinion was that the Gourmet looked sturdier and well built compared to the Traeger for the price mind you.

Anyone doing the same type of mods to theirs?