Author Topic: Boneless Ribeyes Reverse Seared on a Cookshack PG-500  (Read 2573 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Boneless Ribeyes Reverse Seared on a Cookshack PG-500
« Reply #-1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:18:13 AM »
I rubbed two boneless ribeyes with WOW and M-3, wrapped them and put them back in the refrigerator for about 8 hours.

The ambient temperature was 7° with a 15 mph wind.  To reverse sear I set the PG-500 controller at 180° and 10/20 (that will make sense to PG-500/1000 owners).  The steaks went in right out of the refrigerator.

The pit was making too much thick white smoke as it came up to temperature from 7° so I pulled the steaks and set the controller at 10/40.

When the pit was at 100° the steaks went back in for a 20 minute smoke.

Then onto the direct zone for grilling.

They were served with a salad, Marcia's scalloped potatoes and Cline Cashmere red wine.   Darn good meal but I think the steaks would have been better if grilled over charcoal.  That's only because we seem to prefer the charcoal taste.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: Boneless Ribeyes Reverse Seared on a Cookshack PG-500
« on: January 05, 2015, 09:52:33 AM »
I'm kind of in the mood for steak now.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline drholly

• Member No Longer With Us
  • Brooklyn Park, MN
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:56:20 AM »
Me too - those look very nice!
You can't catch a fish if you don't get a line wet...
Pit Barrel Cooker, Char Broil Electric Smoker, Charbroil Prototype Kettleman, Char Broil 500X, Blackstone Flat Top, Char-Broil SRG, Weber Performer, ANOVA sous vide device, Lodge Hibachi, Discada, Chimenea, fire pit, hunk of pink salt...
Member #

Offline Hub

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:15:19 AM »
My favorite way to do a steak!  I smoke it for about an hour on the Traeger then do the sear on GrillGrates on the Memphis (maybe 2 to 2 1/2 minutes per side) at 650. 

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 11:15:39 AM »
My favorite way to do a steak!  I smoke it for about an hour on the Traeger then do the sear on GrillGrates on the Memphis (maybe 2 to 2 1/2 minutes per side) at 650.

Many pellet pit users rave about this method.  I can't seem to get it right.  You might be able to teach me something here, Hub.  First, I only smoked them for ⅓ of your time. 

Then—
     1.  Are the steaks refrigerator cold when you start the smoke?
     2.  What is the pit temperature setting when you're smoking them?
     3.  Do you let the pit come up to the set temperature before inserting the steaks?
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline Hub

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 11:51:05 AM »

Many pellet pit users rave about this method.  I can't seem to get it right.  You might be able to teach me something here, Hub.  First, I only smoked them for ⅓ of your time. 

Then—
     1.  Are the steaks refrigerator cold when you start the smoke?
     2.  What is the pit temperature setting when you're smoking them?
     3.  Do you let the pit come up to the set temperature before inserting the steaks?

Glad to be of assistance -- here's my method but you'll still want to play with it a bit because of variances in cookers, etc.:

1.  Steaks should be just fresh out of the fridge -- also, I don't put any rub (I use Montreal Steak, usually) on for the first phase.
2.  My old Traeger holds an average of about 140-160 on "smoke".  If yours is significantly higher you may want to cut the smoking time back a bit so as to not get a pre-cooked steak.  After an hour, mine (minimum one inch thick, prefer 1.5") are sort of gray looking and are warm to the touch.
3.  "Temperature" on a Traeger is an elusive term  ::) -- Yes, it is smoking right along when I put them in.

After the smoke phase, I add rub and wrap them in Saran for a bit, putting them back in the fridge if I'm doing a big batch.  This intensifies the smokiness.

Give it a shot and tweak as you see fit for your equipment and tastes.  I like my steaks medium.  If you're going for rare or medium-rare you'll need to shorten the cook a bit.  Let me know how it goes . . .

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 12:18:06 PM »

Hub

I've done similar on my Traeger, but I put the grill grates in the same Traeger while slow smoking the steaks, then remove the steaks and crank up the temp on the Traeger to sear the steaks on the GG'S.
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 03:04:18 PM »
Love a great reverse seared steak!
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven