Author Topic: Sous Vide Chuck Roast with Crockpot Steamed Potatoes  (Read 2827 times)

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
Re: QUESTION FOR Sous Vide Chuck Roast with Crockpot Steamed Potatoes
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 09:09:26 AM »
Maybe a dumb question here..why chill after the cook? I can understand the pre sear or post sear..I was thinking maybe a lil of both ofr the flavor and texture. I understand the letting it sit to reabsorb the juices, but not the chilling..Pam    GO BUCKS  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

Pam as the meat cools the tiny spaces in the meat will shrink and as a result pull the moisture back into the meat. Allowing it to cool/reach room temperature only will reduce this effect.

The quick cooling of the meat will decrease the time of this happening.

But I personally like the fridge option over the ice bath because I believe that if you cool it too quickly the liquids can start to solidify depending on their fat content. Then IMHO the liquids will not be pulled into the meat as easily. Now I might be wrong but this is my way of thinking. The ice bath is the quickest way however to reduce the temp. Cold water contact with the bag will reduce the temperature at the fastest rate.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline 1Bigg_ER

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »
Maybe a dumb question here..why chill after the cook? I can understand the pre sear or post sear..I was thinking maybe a lil of both ofr the flavor and texture. I understand the letting it sit to reabsorb the juices, but not the chilling..Pam    GO BUCKS  .☆´¯`•.¸¸. ི♥ྀ.

It's a matter of choice
It does two things for me
1. Prevents overcooking when post searing
2. Easier to slice into portions when or if cooking a huge hunk of meat.

Another issues is that "food safety danger zone". Chill it quickly while still in the bag and refrigerate for later.
Reabsorb juices, not sure about that. One would have to weigh the meat before and after chilling to see if it actually reabsorbed any juices.
KARUBECUE!!
Weber WSM 14.5
Weber Performer Platinum
Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5 AKA Big Worm
PBC AKA The chicken whisperer

Offline Pappymn

Sous Vide Chuck Roast with Crockpot Steamed Potatoes
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 11:26:23 AM »

It's a matter of choice

Another issues is that "food safety danger zone". Chill it quickly while still in the bag and refrigerate for later.
Reabsorb juices, not sure about that. One would have to weigh the meat before and after chilling to see if it actually reabsorbed any juices.

I think Muebe is up to that challenge
Pappy

Proud Owner of Mak 2 Star General #1,000
Weber Performer
Blackstone SS Griddle
Member #109

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 11:48:14 AM »

It's a matter of choice

Bigg I have been a witness to seeing the juices reabsorbed. I had a brisket that was cooked Sous Vide and I could see how much juices were reabsorbed visually. And I could taste the difference between before and after. Obviously the larger cuts are going to take in more juices than a steak for example.
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven