Author Topic: First time cooking St.Louis ribs in the home built pellet grill  (Read 6094 times)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
Re: First time cooking St.Louis ribs in the home built pellet grill
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 02:50:49 AM »
Very nice work!
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 06:18:47 AM »
...From the look of the ribs in the picture - the left side appears more done than the right. Have you checked the grate temps in several places to see what kind of heat distribution you are getting?

Did you miss the part where he said he sauced the right side for himself and left the left side dry for Kimmie? Would that not explain the difference or am I missing some mystical texture or technical issue?

In fact you DID miss the degree of doneness Turtle. Look at the amount of exposed bone on the left - vs- the right side of the ribs. We know you body mechanic, as a quadruped are slow......but...... ;).  Knowing Kimmie as we all do....I would have thought that Tommy has engineered this machine for "Kimmie doneness" on one side and "Regular doneness" on the other side. :D
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline MoHuka

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 07:00:54 AM »
Those look great Tommy, and not just because I am in the land of no pork (KSA).  Curious though that you gave yourself an 8 but would do better next time....what would you do different?
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 08:52:36 AM »
Those look great Tommy, and not just because I am in the land of no pork (KSA).  Curious though that you gave yourself an 8 but would do better next time....what would you do different?

I would have timed them a little different I think, Plus as Tee noted the cooker is hotter on one side so a rotation of ribs would have had a better finish.   BUT remember I have to keep Kimmie happy so it worked well for me.   

If I was going to cook for others I would get a larger grill and practice more  :D     Trying to talk Kimmie into a Rec-Tec smoker, I just have to thin the heard down (to many grills/cookers rt now (a great problem to have)  :D :D :D :D     
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline akruckus

• Smoking the day away...
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 10:06:45 AM »
You have youself there a nice rack.... of ribs. :P
Weber Limited Edition Kettle- Red
PBC
Weber Genesis- "Iggles" Green
NBBD
Ooni Karu

Stone Cutter
Member #759

Offline MoHuka

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 11:35:05 AM »

I would have timed them a little different I think, Plus as Tee noted the cooker is hotter on one side so a rotation of ribs would have had a better finish.   BUT remember I have to keep Kimmie happy so it worked well for me.   

If I was going to cook for others I would get a larger grill and practice more  :D     Trying to talk Kimmie into a Rec-Tec smoker, I just have to thin the heard down (to many grills/cookers rt now (a great problem to have)  :D :D :D :D   
Tommy, good luck with the REC TEC...you may remember when I got mine I thought the SRG was going to have to go but a meat loaf followed by a pizza saved it's life....
Lead a good life and treat your fellow man as you wish to be treated and the attendance at your funeral will be largely dependent on the weather
---------------------------
KCBS CBJ
Bradley 6-rack with PID and 2-element mod
REC TEC
SRG with Tommy Ring
Weber Genesis with Grill Grates
ANOVA Sous Vide

Offline sparky

• northern california
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 02:30:08 PM »
oh ya!  those look real good tommy.  excellent job buddy.  love the color to them.  two thumbs up on those babies.   8)
PBC
Cobb Grill
Go Sun Solar Cooker
Weber Jumbo Joe
Weber Mastertouch
member #66

Offline IR2dum

• Houston, TX
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 02:30:47 PM »
Tommy, good looking ribs off that homemade pellet pooper. I saw it work a couple of years ago and I think you ought to put it into production and sell the beejeebers out of them.

Offline Ka Honu

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 01:46:58 AM »
...I would have thought that Tommy has engineered this machine for "Kimmie doneness" on one side and "Regular doneness" on the other side.[/b]

Well that appears to be exactly what he did (and did very well).
Everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline pz

« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 02:20:27 AM »
I'd take either end - both look very tasty!