FORUM SPONSORS > A-MAZE-N PRODUCTS

Tube smoker with Pit Barrel cooker?

(1/5) > >>

Paul Hart:
Just finished looking into these tube smokers, they seem like a cool product/idea. I'm all about fruit wood smoke.  My idea would be to cold smoke whatever I'm cooking in the PBC for about an hour or two before actually firing the coals up. Any thoughts, recommendations, warnings?  I bet it would smoke pretty well with the bars in. I doubt if it would be ideal directly on or around the coals. I also wonder if this idea is any better or worse than just using a chunk of wood during the cook.

drholly:
I understand your love of fruit wood for smoking. Me, I really like pecan. I use it in my "mystery" electric smoker. I have never used wood in my PBC, and never tried a cold smoke - I enjoy the flavor it imparts by itself. Would be interesting to hear your experience. I am sure some of the PBC experts will chime in.

smokeasaurus:
The drippings from the meat would probably extinguish the smoldering  pellets/chips in the tube...unless the meat is hung opposite the tube smoker. You would probably have to move your charcoal over to the opposite side of the charcoal basket because if the tube was set on top of the charcoal it would burn way to fast.

drholly:

--- Quote from: smokeasaurus on January 14, 2015, 06:39:37 PM ---The drippings from the meat would probably extinguish the smoldering  pellets/chips in the tube...unless the meat is hung opposite the tube smoker. You would probably have to move your charcoal over to the opposite side of the charcoal basket because if the tube was set on top of the charcoal it would burn way to fast.

--- End quote ---

All good points!

hikerman:
I have not tried it,  but I would think the PBC would be a good cold-smoker. Get your tube going good and place in the empty basket and then hang some meat for a few hours. Even a rack of cheese.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version