FORUM SPONSORS > A-MAZE-N PRODUCTS

Tube smoker with Pit Barrel cooker?

<< < (2/5) > >>

ronman451:
Hi Paul,

I just posted almost this identical question over in the PBC forum! I'm thinking of cold-smoking my ribs inside my gas grill with a tube smoker for about an hour before hanging them in the PBC.

I've also thought of somehow hanging the tube smoker alongside the meat in the PBC during the cook...

Have you tried the tube in your PBC yet??

TentHunteR:

--- Quote from: ronman451 ---My idea would be to cold smoke whatever I'm cooking in the PBC for about an hour or two before actually firing the coals up.
--- End quote ---

As far as I'm concerned THAT would be a big NO WAY!!!  That is just WAY too risky to try and cold smoke uncured meat for that long!

You have to remember that an enclosed smoky environment is an oxygen-deprived environment, which is the perfect breeding ground for any type of anaerobic bacteria, the worst of these being C. Botulinum. 

Cold-Smoking is intended for cured meat ONLY!!!  The basic rule is if it's not cured, then don't smoke it below temps of 165°

Now, if it's a really cool day, and you keep the pit in the shade, you could get by cold smoking for maybe 15 - 30 minutes TOPS!  Anything longer is just too risky.

If I knew you had cold-smoked ribs or any other uncured meat for 1 - 2 hours...  I wouldn't eat it.  Botulism is not something to toy with.

I posted a similar comment about this over in the other thread you posted, but not as long. 

drholly:
Several years ago, I was hit by this (from a restaurant) it was one of the worst experiences in my life. Do NOT mess with it - it is NOT worth the risk.

ronman451:

--- Quote from: TentHunteR on April 04, 2015, 01:44:20 PM ---
--- Quote from: ronman451 ---My idea would be to cold smoke whatever I'm cooking in the PBC for about an hour or two before actually firing the coals up.
--- End quote ---

As far as I'm concerned THAT would be a big NO WAY!!!  That is just WAY too risky to try and cold smoke uncured meat for that long!

You have to remember that an enclosed smoky environment is an oxygen-deprived environment, which is the perfect breeding ground for any type of anaerobic bacteria, the worst of these being C. Botulinum. 

Cold-Smoking is intended for cured meat ONLY!!!  The basic rule is if it's not cured, then don't smoke it below temps of 165°

Now, if it's a really cool day, and you keep the pit in the shade, you could get by cold smoking for maybe 15 - 30 minutes TOPS!  Anything longer is just too risky.

If I knew you had cold-smoked ribs or any other uncured meat for 1 - 2 hours...  I wouldn't eat it.  Botulism is not something to toy with.

I posted a similar comment about this over in the other thread you posted, but not as long.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the advice TentHunteR. I hear you loud and clear. No cold-smoking uncured meat. Bad idea.

On to "plan B",  hanging a tube smoker inside the hot PBC alongside the meat.

sliding_billy:
The tube smoker needs a fair amount of oxygen to stay burning.  I don't have a PBC, but based on my experience with UDSs the pellet flame is going to smolder and die.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version