Author Topic: Do You Clean Your Pellets?  (Read 4039 times)

Offline pmillen

• She's saying, "There's one over there."
Do You Clean Your Pellets?
« Reply #-1 on: January 29, 2015, 07:59:22 PM »
As I look at photographs of the interior of pellet pits I regularly see fine ash on most surfaces.  My own pit had some until the interior became well seasoned and captured most of it.

I recently watched sparks fly up from the burn pot as I was grilling steaks on the flame zone.  It occurred to me that the sparks were probably burning wood dust that I see in the bottom of my hopper and they were creating the fly ash.

I intend to make a pellet cleaner and attempt to gauge its effectiveness.

Q1.  Do you clean your pellets?

Q2.  Is it worth doing?

Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline TMB

• Toney, Alabama
Re: Do You Clean Your Pellets?
« on: January 29, 2015, 08:02:55 PM »
I clean the burn pot and the lower chamber of the one I made out of the Double Chef Smoker.   The new Rec-Tec will be cleaned but not going to over do it

Will use foil on the grease tray and that will be changed often
Member #2
2 SRG's  (infrared)
1 BEESR (ele Big Easy infrared)
1 DC smoker/ charcoal SRG (infrared)
1 Infrared smoker (Home Built pellet smoker)
1 Grill2go ice (infrared)
Rec-Tec smoker
Weber Smokey Joe (Silver)
I HAVE AN INFRARED ADDICTION

Offline muebe

• Santa Clarita,Ca
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 08:21:25 PM »
I clean my pellets by running them through my pellet grill while on :P
Member #22
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
Traeger PTG with PID
PBC
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)
Uuni 2 Wood Fired Pizza Oven

Offline teesquare

• Global Moderator
  • Brevard NC - Home Of Hillbilly Caviar
    • Savor Spices
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 08:31:39 PM »
The only thing I do Paul - is shake the bag a bit, while holding it by the top 2 corners, allowing fines to make their way to the bottom of the bag - then when pouring out of the bag, I slow down as I get close to the bottom of the bag, and will often position a colander  over a small bucket - 2 gal.? I think...( with a grid pattern slightly smaller than pellet diameter - but not much smaller) and pour the remaining pellets out into the colander, shaking it to sift the fines thru.

Still - there will be some that find their way thru the hopper - and some as a function of the friction occurring of the pellets feeding to the hopper.

I vacuum out my pits on...infrequent occasion, usually 4 or so times a year I am guessing.
BBQ is neither verb or noun. It is an experience.
Fine Swine and Bovine BBQ Team - Home of squeal and veal!
Beer, Butter and Bacon make everything better.
PBC
PBC Jr.
MAK 2 Star General #639
MAK 2 Star General #4401

Offline TentHunteR

• Global Moderator
  • N.E. Ohio
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 08:46:30 PM »
:D

I guess you can filter the loose sawdust out the pellets if you want, but I've never worried it, and have never had a problem.  No matter what, you're going to get some sparks like you saw.
<><
2017 MAK 1 Star General with FlameZone
Former Owner: MAK 1 Star General - 2014 & 2011 Models
Weber Performer with Stoven Pellet Grill Adapter
Modified Horizontal Offset Smoker
1986 Weber One-Touch Silver (a few dings, but still works)
Member #68

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:27:17 PM »

Same here.  :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline sliding_billy

• North Texas
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 01:51:54 AM »
I use a cup to pour the pellets into the hopper (after loading them into buckets) instead of pouring them straight from the bag.  That way the dust is left in the bottom  of the bucket.
Custom Offset/GMG Davy Crockett/Vision Kamado/Blackstone 36"/Weber 22" "redhead"/ WSM 14.5" X2/Jumbo Joe/Pit Boss Copperhead/KCBS

Offline Hub

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 07:49:01 AM »
I think this is part of the old "Know Your Pit" adage.  Each brand and model has its own characteristics when it comes to how and why it might create excess ash and how tolerant it will be of pellet dust.  Further, it is well known and often discussed on the forums that some brands and "flavors" of pellets will produce more dust and or ash under some conditions.

To give you a direct answer, no I do not clean my pellets.  Like Teesquare, I let excess dust settle to the bottom of the bag and I typically discard maybe half a cup of dust from most of the types and brands I use.  Neither my Memphis or my Traeger has ever shown any problems with pushing some ambient dust through the auger or chute.

I do vacuum frequently, though.  My Memphis gets vacuumed for every use.  It is an older model with a shallow burn pot and it doesn't take much ash to cover the igniter rod.  It also has a fairly powerful fan and will blow excess ash around if I allow it to build up.  My NOS American Traeger will go three or four cooks without vacuuming with no ash problems, but I vacuum it about ever other use just to avoid any possible problems.

Final comment:  Any pellet cooker which is fired up to maximum temperature (as is typically the case for grilling) will produce more ash since the very active (often, "roaring") fire is consuming a lot more fuel and building a bigger, hotter fire.  If you get a few flying sparks from this conflagration don't be too concerned unless that's all that is happening.  Watch a pile of good charcoal burn and you'll see some similarities -- the intensity of the embers and the occasional "pop" will spit little red specks  ;D

Hub
Committed Pellethead & BBQ Writer
KCBS MCBJ & CTC
Ph.B.
Memphis Advantage
NOS American-made Traeger 075
Weber Performer
NG Weber Spirit (warming oven)
PBC
NO SMOKE DETECTOR IN MY OUTDOOR KITCHEN

Offline KyNola

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 10:33:49 AM »
I guess you can filter the loose sawdust out the pellets if you want, but I've never worried it, and have never had a problem.  No matter what, you're going to get some sparks like you saw.
Ditto from a fellow MAK owner.

Offline hikerman

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 10:41:59 AM »
Nope....I don't have time for that!
If Mrs Hikerman saw me cleaning pellets I assure you that I would have a ten foot long honey-do-list in a matter of minutes!  ???

Offline pmillen

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 11:33:57 AM »
Thanks to all of you for offering your thoughts. 

Obviously, if we have fly ash sitting on our pits' hard surfaces then we have it sitting on our food.  I don't have a lot of ash sitting around inside of my pit, but I have some.  Some of the photographs I see tell me that other pits have a lot

When I dump pellets on a breezy day I see dust blowing away.

So I'm trying to decide how much fly ash I want to eat and if I can reduce it, somehow.  I'm considering a sealed bucket with an inlet for my leaf blower blast and a vent that allows only the dust to blow out.  Film at eleven.
Paul

MAK 2-Star - M Grills M-36 - Hunsaker Drum - Basic 36" Blackstone Griddle - PK Grill - Masterbuilt 1050 - Kamado Joe Big Joe w/FireBoard Blower - Broilmaster H3 Gas

Offline hikerman

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 12:25:07 PM »
What is the term the Native Americans of the northwoods use when removing chaff from wild rice. Reminds me of this discussion.

Offline Las Vegan Cajun

• Ralph in LA$ VEGA$
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 01:18:05 PM »
Nope....I don't have time for that!
If Mrs Hikerman saw me cleaning pellets I assure you that I would have a ten foot long honey-do-list in a matter of minutes!  ???

Mrs. LVC would find me a nice room with padded walls in an institution so I don't hurt myself. :P
Laissez Les Bon Temps Rouler
----------------------
Magma Marine Kettle, Camp Chef Single Burner, Dutch Oven Table & Denali 3X, Lodge Habachi, BEESR, WSJ w/GrillGrates, WSM 18.5, Masterbuilt Pro Smoker, Anova Sous Vide (X2), Traeger Jr, 12" A-MAZE-N Tube, PBC, LEM Dehydrator, Dorkfood (DSV)

Offline pmillen

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 01:18:59 PM »
This would accurately be described as winnowing.  Is that a native American word?
Paul

Offline hikerman

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 01:34:16 PM »
it.This would accurately be described as winnowing.  Is that a native American word?
That's it Paul! I would think that's an English word to describe what the NA's called it.